Any issues to watch out for changing the battery?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Generally with newer cars, BEM has gone as it was in its initial form very restrictive as it required the inputting of VW Group part numbers.

I'd think with your car the boxes needing filled will be, battery manufacturer, technology, capacity and serial number, which means when you fit "like for like" all that is needed as a minimum, is to change the last number of the serial number.

VW and Audi are not too smart when it comes to filling the details in at factory, so mainly they end up with all having the same battery manufacturer and serial number, SEAT actually seem to fill in the correct details, which must be easy to do at initial assembly as these batteries tend to have a QR tag on them and the assembly lines must have code scanners.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Update: The manufacturer code was the same so I just changed 68 to 70 (for the Ah value), input the last 10 digits of the new serial number as the serial number and left the technology as Fleece and the car accepted it perfectly ??.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh well all good then, it has been said that VW Group use the term "Fleece" for AGM batteries bit there are normally other AGM related technology options, like AGM Binary I think, which sort of confused me as I plan to replace the EFB in my wife's 2015 1.2TSI 110PS with an AGM when the time comes, so am very interested in which technology option cars with a factory fitted AGM have in the "battery info" section of coding, so good to hear that your car had "Fleece" already selected.
My own car is a 2011 Audi S4 and they all came with AGM so the "battery info" does not have a technology options box, same on a friend's 2018MY Audi A6, which was annoying as I was trying to actually find a car that could have been sent out with EFB or AGM from factory, to see what one with AGM was set for technology wise!

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I have just looked up the price of a Varta AGM 096 to fit a 1.5tsi Leon with stop start from Euro Car Parts. The price they offer is a staggering £439.99 GBP, (474 Euros), reduced from a full price of £484.00 GBP.

Someone above described the cost of AGM batteries as "eye watering" they are not kidding, that's over four times the price of my first car a stunning 1976 Chrysler (Simca) Alpine in metallic gold with a chocolate brown vinyl roof !!!!

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
The Bosch one at ECP is even more expensive at £454.99 GBP !

Last edited:

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I don't need a battery, but I've read this thread with interest as I've never had a car that has needed coding to replace a battery before - and also never had a stop/start car either so am not used to stupidly expensive batteries.

Does anyone know what the real benefit is, if any, of using a Varta AGM battery at a cost of £439 with a 3 year guarantee rather than using a Halfords own brand AGM battery at £127 with my Trade Card discount with a guarantee of five years? Seems such a massive difference in price!

1599819987073.png

1599820013111.png

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
As said on prevoius post: i bought a S5 A08 Bosch AGM Car Battery 12V 70Ah Type 096 S5A08. Did my research - EFB batteries are normally fitted on our cars. EFB batteries are widely used in vehicles with entry-level start-stop systems, usually without recovery of braking energy. AGM batteries (Absorbent Glass Mat) score with their high performance and durability. EFB batteries have been introduced as a lower tier option to AGM batteries in terms of performance and durability. Hope that helps

Reactions: SteveW and Walone

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When/if I need to replace either my car's AGM or my wife's EFB with an AGM, I'll head for Tanya, buying locally from Halfords and their own brand, might be okay, but I for one will always make the extra effort to source a quality brand from a place that sells them for a sensible price, and currently that means Varta or if necessary Bosch from Tayna.

Edit:- the problem that I suspect is this, you have a choice of buying a quality battery that should last at least 6 years, or buying a battery that is warrantied for 5 years and that could let you down in 3 or 4 years - and it will be up to you to make your way back to the vendor's to take advantage of that warranty.

My plan would be to never need to use any warranty as needing to do that could end up being very inconvenient.

Last edited:

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
The Varta and the Bosch are made in the same plant - so essentially the same battery.

I checked ECP for batteries first and i almost fell of my chair. how they can justify that price for the 'SAME' battery is beyond belief

Reactions: Woody_72

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
@Walone Not sure - but sound about right.

On the upside, since changing the car battery, the car actually runs better. probably sparking better. its wierd. i got so used to it running the other way!

Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
@Walone Not sure - but sound about right.

On the upside, since changing the car battery, the car actually runs better. probably sparking better. its wierd. i got so used to it running the other way!
Thinking about it, maybe it does run better with the new battery as the alternator might not be working as hard as it did with the old battery.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members