anyone know where is the OBD connector in the León?

turmoil

One of the members
Sep 24, 2001
Athens - Greece
Visit site
So say I build the circuit and manage to get the connector, isn't the ECU going to be protected with a code or something? Do car companies just allow you to have access to the processor and adjust it? It is a chalenge, and I will try to do it, I am just worried about not even getting access.:devil:

amgtorre

From reading multiple web sites - like the ones posted in the intial messages - the ECU does not have a password or any means to limit you from accessing it.
the hardware interface + plus the obd2 protocol are complicated enough to discourage must people from trying to access it, then even if you get access you need to knwo how to use the software to obtain the diag codes, and read any variables. VAG cars support the general OBD2 protocol and the VAG propietary protocol, from what i understand , the palm software posted before and the Alex Pepper software use the published OBD2 protocol. The VG-COM software uses the VAG propietary protocol and might be more useful for our cars . Again, this is all info I read on the web.
In the mean time, I'm in process of building my own hardware interface, got the optocouplers last week ($11 pesos!! or 1.22 us dllr ) and will play with those first on a protoboard , if it works will solder it to a pcb. I just ordered an OBD to db9 cable so I will eventually have a good reliable connection.

If you don't want to mess around building your own hdw interface and then trying to find a software that works, here is the info for a group buy for the obd-2 software (US$ 72) , im not buying this tool but here is the info in case anyone is interested:
www.obd-2.com/tcca-6.html

Check or money order (see prices at above web site)
www.obd-2.com/order.html

Mark TCCA-6 on above order.

Will notify of ship.
Allow 12-36 hours for processing and 2-3 days for ship.

Thank you,Alex C. Peper,Car Code,www.obd-2.com

Saludos,
Armando

Del

WARNING.

There are legality restrictions in using OBD ports whilst on the road. The company that I work for (Pi Research) is presently looking into utilising this port for data logging and displays for club racers. I've been playing with shift lights etc as a separate binacle above the dash (around the company car park of course ;-)).

For people with palms you may notice that the datastream is delay i.e under hard acceleration or braking. Don't worry the ECU has deliberately disconnected you as it's a bit busy. Have fun !!!!

johnny_M

Hot-Rod !
Got my palm off e-bay, PCB/Connector from Andy W, and the components from rs - should turn up tomorrow.

Will post what i find.

Has anybody else got there ecu logging to a laptop, if so what 'free' software would u recomend ?

:p

Last edited:

mcmail

Dec 27, 2001
www.linksysinfo.co.uk
Got an email from the author at that site, it is definately VAG-COM compatable.

looks like the chepest and easiest way to use the OBD software/hardware.

All I need now is a laptop :) unless I move me pc to the driveway:) or have a bloody long cable:)

mcmail

Dec 27, 2001
www.linksysinfo.co.uk
Do you use VAG-COM Mosser in this way?

PC--VAG--COM/OBDsoftware--long netorkcable--adapter-OBD ?

most software uses COM ports though so how does one go from comport/serial socket to network cable and then network cable back to comport on adaptor?

Mosser

The King
My vag-com hasnt turned up yet :( , its on its way over from the states at the moment!,

My one is comming with some lan cable adaptors, but the easiest way for you to use a lan cable is to cut the ends off and just solder some serial port ends onto it

Jun 28, 2001
obd/eobd sockets

As from 2001 all cars in europe have the 16 pin connector as this is for european onboard diagnostiscs,and all connector are the same for all cars this is for roadside checks which are to be soon put into place.This will mean that if you are stopped by the police they can see if your mil light is on ,on the dash panel.this is for emission control.
If your light is on the police(and other authorities) can plug in there diagnostic equipment and see what the problem is and how long the problem has been there .if you have had the mil light on for a certain time(of which at present is undefined)they can fine you accordingly and supposedly supposed to be on the spot fine(or car impounded).
the hardware they are going to be using will be based on the american version of onboard diagnostsics and will only be able to interrogate engine/emission related faults and not be able to re code control units or look at anyother systems.also they will know which dealer has last looked at the car if a problem has occured as ther will be a log/user diary

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
I see you can view/erase fault codes with the VAG COM software but can you actually alter any of the cars settings to do different things ??? If so what can be done and have people tried it rather that 'I heard you can ....'

PeterS

Oct 29, 2001
Cambs
I'm interested in writing my own version (I'm a real-time software engineer and win32 software is easy :)) - anyone have any idea what the protocol looks like? I plan to make the version I write freely available through this website.

Initially I plan to write a Win32 version but I may write a Palm version later (I have a Palm and Laptop - so both would be kewl :D)

The hardware looks easy enough - and is well covered on the net. The VAG-COM software is $99...a viable alternative but I don't feel like shelling that out for such a simple piece of software.

Regs
Peter
<br>
</br>

Mosser

The King
You dont have to shell out anything to have a play with it, a lot fo the functions work in the demo version that you can download from their web site, so have a play with it!!, theres loads of links around for build your own interface adaptors !!

PeterS

Oct 29, 2001
Cambs
Excellent - perhaps I will try it and see what it does...and see if I can do better!

Now if only I had a Leon to go with it :D

Can't wait to get mine....
Peter

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members