anyone running k03s with smic?

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
I'm just wondering how much it suffers from heatsoak compared with k03?

How much different does it feel in general to a k03...?

Thanks, Jim

jsparks

wouldnt do that mate if i was you. unless your running standard map. again not advisable.

Just get yourself a FMIC first, then put the k03s on. and then map it etc.

Your never going to see potential without low intake temps etc.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
as martin says - increased inlet temps will just pull back on the ECU at the top end, which is where the k03s 'sees' it's increase.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
yeah I realise it will pull back at top end and i won't see full potential until I get a fmic, but it won't be slower than a k03 will it? surely the inlet temps on leon cupra's and tt's must be high on a smic too..?

I've basically got everything needed except fmic which will ge added later. It is being mapped with smic first tho...

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
I'd hold out mate as you'll have to "remap" it again to suit with the FMIC I would have thought and therefore spend even more cash.

Keep standard map - fit KO3S - get FMIC - then remap to stage 2.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
my car already has a custom map and thankfully I only pay £50 for a remap tweak so I'm only losing £50 by fitting a fmic later...and I doubt I'll get a fmic for a few months...i'm too impatient to wait lol

jsparks

your not going to want to drive hard on a k03s anyways with your map, youll be lean. if you put a 4bar on, youll be rich, without a k03s map to suit.

£50 quid to remap your car for a different turbo with no FMIC :lol:

Do it properly or dont do it at all i say. Some of us have learnt the hard way.

Once a k03s is running correctly on a good map, your peak torque will be much higher, closer to 5000rpm. Not a low peak then a dieing graph.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
what's funny about that? its a good price if u ask me mate and it is a good map...i've had revo and upsolute and i prefer it to both of those.

I won't be driving my car with k03s and my current remap...its being remapped to the k03s at the same time as fitting. The fueling etc will be correct too, just no fmic.

The way I see it is a leon cupra and it's k03s can be remapped with a smic, so what's wrong with a ibiza doing the same...?

I know I need a fmic to get the most out of it, but I can't see that I'll be learning anything "the hard way"? I can't see that i'm putting my engine in danger or anything, or am I???

In fact didn't Bill run IHI with smic for a while...

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Personally i think the K03s should be the last mod applied before going stage2 that includes brakes and suspension. Just my opinion though.

David.

jsparks

leon has a bigger SMIC for starters. not goign to enter into arguements.

If you saw logs of a remapped mk3 with a SMIC, you would think twice = detonation.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
I wasn't instigating an argument mate...i just didn't think you realised I will be getting it properly mapped to the k03s...

I thought someone would have done this before tbh.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
They're right Jimyu. The side mount on the Ibiza is useless on a chipped car, let alone a K03S conversion. I can't see you gaining any benefits over the K03 without doing the FMIC beforehand.

I did actually have mine mapped with the K03S without having the FMIC. If it was winter, it may not be so much of a problem, but with the temperatures were seeing at the moment, it WILL run like a big bag of dung. It's a pointless exercise (you'll gain nothing), you really should get the FMIC on first. Once the FMIC was fitted I went back up to Jabba for them to tweak the map and the difference was vast.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
cheers damo. how long was you running it before the fmic got fitted etc?

and when it heatsoaked do you think it was worse than a remapped k03..?

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
I ran it for about 6 months. It was ok'ish to begin with but the temperatures were well under 10C but as the summer kicked in, it was truly awful. You'd get one decent run and that was it, the little intercooler just couldn't cope. Power would just die off further up the rev range.

I never had my car remapped on the K03. I went straight from standard to the K03S (I wasn't keen on a remapped K03 after having a couple of test drives). What you have to consider, which is mentioned above, are that the gains you get from the K03S are mainly in the upper rev range (above 4.5k rpm). You won't notice this, though, as by the time your at this point on the rev range, your ECU will be pulling things back due to heatsoak. That's why it's pointless you doing it in this order.

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
And to add, your looking to spend £50 getting the car remapped to the K03S and then remapped again once the FMIC is fitted. That's £100. Why don't you just put that money towards the FMIC (it doesn't have to be expensive if you use the guides on here for the Laguna IC).

You'll have far more fun driving the car with the K03 and FMIC than you will on the K03S and SMIC. You'll be even happier once the K03S does get fitted.

Cuprajohn

The Cupra Kidd
Feb 24, 2007
Isle of Lewis
do you have to remap wen you fit a fmic?
Im running a ko3s with smic but holding back on buying an fmic incase i need to remap. i havent got anywhere close to get remapped

Jun 29, 2001
Surrey
To get the very best out it, I'd say yes (more of a tweak than anything, though). I seem to remember Mike @ Jabbasport saying that he'd advanced the ignition timing by 2 degrees or something to that effect (I don't know much about this side of things so I'll stop there, lol).
The ECU will adapt things to a certain degree without remapping, so don't hold back from buying one based on that reason. Your car will appreciate the extra cooling.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
And to add, your looking to spend £50 getting the car remapped to the K03S and then remapped again once the FMIC is fitted. That's £100. Why don't you just put that money towards the FMIC (it doesn't have to be expensive if you use the guides on here for the Laguna IC).

You'll have far more fun driving the car with the K03 and FMIC than you will on the K03S and SMIC. You'll be even happier once the K03S does get fitted.

I'm tempted to get the CCard out for a forge now...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members