APR vs REVO

Poverty

Poverty I seem to remember a company called superclutch making up one off clutches for high power applications.
I've had a couple of Helix clutches too(paddle and now heavy duty organic) and they are nice to use.They can offer a heavy duty cover too, although not sure about your application.

thanks for that didnt know about superclutch, hopefully I will have some luck with those guys and they will make us something. Helix is another possibility, will send em an email

Poverty

Why are my comments cheeky? I like to have every piece of information I can before i buy something for my car. I asked you a question about your car and you skirted around the issue.

Suppose this has been addressed now.

I don't know you from Adam so why should i take your word without any PROOF that the apr map is the best map available and also the safest? Would you personally guarantee that if my engine went pop you would pay for the repairs????

My own experience? Dont believe everything you read or are told. However at one point or another you are going to have to find it out yourself right??? You read other peoples experiences if available, make a decision based on that info, bite the bullet, and then take the plunge. Most of the time it is like they say, but sometimes you might find on that occassion its not quite for you.

This is all Ive done, ive given a review, and an opinion. Ive been fortunate enough to have tested Revo, MRC, Jabba and now APR cars. I used to rate revo as the best, and pretty much dismissed the rest, as IMO at the time revo was the strongest 2.0TFSI map in the market. I felt the map was that much better over the competition at the time, that I was also willing to overlook the flat spot issue, and the denials from revo about the flat spots existance which I felt was poor of them at the time.

Fast forward to 2012 with the relaunch of APR in Europe, and me looking to try a third map on my TT after having issues with what I had previously, I got the chance to borrow the APR Golf.

Now I will be brutally honest, I was told that I would be surprised by this, that its really quick, and I thought to myself "yeah yeah", will it really impress me after 18 months of revo stage 2 plus on my cupra?

It was then explained to me about APRs relaunch, why they returned, and whats different this time round. The optimisation of maps for the UK markets catering to our demands.

Anyway im sure you have read my review of the APR LP3 map, and am aware that I was really surprised and blown away at how quick it was and its power delivery. I concluded that revo now had a worthy competitor in the market, and that revo was no longer the obvious choice.

I never claimed that the APR map was the best or the safest, just purely that IMO if I was to mod a 2.0TFSI again I would go down the APR route.

Now people will have read my review, and they are free to make their own decisions from that.

how many people on here use their car on a track? a tiny minority, and since the speed limit is 70mph i'm pretty positive the majority of folk prefer more low down power.

By your own admission though 50% of the people looking for a map would prefer REVO because it makes more power and more torque down the rev range???

You like to ride a wave of torque, I dont. Everyone has different driving styles. The speed limit being set at 70mph has no bearing on where the power band should be or what part of the powerband one should use to get to 70mph most efficiently. If you want to get to 70mph quickly you arent going to short shift at 4500rpm are you?

Also has anyone had a revo and APR LP3 power graph side by side to determine that revo makes more power and torque low down? I havent seen the graphs myself to say for sure.

Again this is 1 car which is a car that isn't comparable to anything on a SEAT forum and again there is no proof apart from "I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did an 11.99"

that means absolutely nothing.

Same engine, its very relevant, as I havent heard of any other 2.0TFSI DSG 4wd model pull such times without a big turbo or without the car having been stripped to its bare shell.

I'm not allowed to say anything about apr but you can spout rumours no problem???

You are right, I shouldnt have mentioned specualtion about Stasis being in financial difficulties.

Also it's strange that one person who was booked into getting the map free and was going to post all the results up on here had his appointment cancelled at the last minute???

Its not been cancelled, but rescheduled. Their race program takes priority, and the race season is kicking off, we have to allow for that.

On a final note I will say that it's my opinion that you and maybe another couple of people are being looked after by apr and in return you are using your position as a respected member of this community to try and drum up business for them

If that is the case then it's pretty terrible.

Im flattered that im seen as a respected member on here!

Id just like to clarify that in no way, shape or form am I working for APR, nor have I recieved numeration or perks from APR.

All Im doing is voicing an opinion, and perhaps one can say that opinion is facing some resistance.

I can understand that often people will always think what they have is the best, as ofcourse they have spent their hard earned on it which is understandable. When I first started posting topics about the revo flat spot I used to get flamed for it, like people were in denial about. Comments such as it must be an issue with my car, even all the way to that Im making it up. This wasnt on scn btw :lol:

My best mates cupra then suffered from the same symptoms but people still didnt want to believe it. Forward 30 months and people are fitting RS4 fuel valves and intank booster pumps to try and overcome it.

encouraging fellow members to put on their car what is an unknown quantity.

May I ask what maps are not an unknown quantity, and why they arent a unknown quantity? And how did they go from being an unknown quantity to what they are percieved as today?

Last edited by a moderator:

skiddusmarkus

Apr 30, 2010
In a year or 2 when the all warranties have run out and people aren't so nervous about messing with their cars too much, people will look back and think a 12 sec 1/4 is fairly run of the mill.Especially once the Americans start really messing about with the tfsi engine.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The yanks have the luxury of paying so much less for so many things than us though, fuel being one, or I am sure we would be the same.

Last edited:

Deleted member 53697

Be careful with the WOTBOX - I know 2 Leon's that had one and both ended with dead engines!

If your counting one of those as mine, I'm not entirely convinced it was all because of the WOT Box...

Poverty

In theory I dont know how it could kill engines unless things got lean. My mates been running a WOT BOX on his s4 for years.

In Porsches you can get flat shifting written into the ecu, I wonder what method they use

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Wow, what an interesting debate... Ha.
I'm not certainly not going to get involved in a slagging match between Revo and APR, but I think it's safe to say APR have certainly pulled their socks up with their new software.
What I think is a little optimistic, is the 1/4 and 30-130 record claims that are being banded about ATM. Their 12.2 @ Pod is certainly impressive and although I have seen no evidence of this time (slip or vid) I have no reason to disbelieve it. Only problem IMO is there is no Revo Stage 2+ Golf R or S3's out there that have run regularly at Pod that we know of to compare it against.
With 4WD, LC and DSG we all know how capable the car can be (just look at the S-Tronic TTRS'), but unless Revo have a demo Golf R DSG to compare against on the same day, I think it's a bit premature to say that APR are now kings on that scene.
One other thing I will say though, is the 110mph terminal speed that APR's Golf recorded on that run is nothing to right home about imo and there's plenty of Revo 2.0TFSI cars that have gone quicker than that. How it manages to be so impressive 30-130 is anyone's guess, but my suggestion would be to wait until another proper organised 30-130 day is on (possibly another this year from what I hear) and get both tuners there in comparable cars before popping the champers. ;)

Last edited:

Aaroncupra

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

fwd cars will record a higher term speed due to less weight and tranny losses though

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Yeah true Pov, but even so, 110mph isn't beyond the realms of being at the very least matched by an equivalent Revo mapped car. My mate's Revo Stage 2+ S3 managed close to that (high 108's) on his only run where he didn't miss a gear lol and that's a manual, so a DSG equivalent would certainly be quicker IMO..
I would have a gentlemanly wager with anyone on here that a Revo Stage 2+ DSG Golf R or S3 (with even a half competent driver) would easily pass 110mph terminals @ Pod.. Any takers? Ha
All we need to do now is find someone that has one to run it. Ha

Last edited:

Poverty

Yeah true Pov, but even so, 110mph isn't beyond the realms of being at the very least matched by an equivalent Revo mapped car. My mate's Revo Stage 2+ S3 managed close to that (high 108's) on his only run where he didn't miss a gear lol and that's a manual, so a DSG equivalent would certainly be quicker IMO..
I would have a gentlemanly wager with anyone on here that a Revo Stage 2+ DSG Golf R or S3 (with even a half competent driver) would easily pass 110mph terminals @ Pod.. Any takers? Ha
All we need to do now is find someone that has one to run it. Ha

I wouldnt be that confident tbh, some days the pod is "slow". When wayne and yaz where there with their 911 turbos they werent getting blistering terminals from their 650hp cars and as you know from 30-130 they are stupidly quick.

Lets see what jonny does with the Golf R once it gets the rest of the stage 2 plus bolt ons, and perhaps a dsg map.

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
Going off topic slightly then, I'm looking at getting the Audi TT 2.0tfsi remapped in the near future.

APR remap £245+vat.
Revo remap £499

Which one should I be opting for??

Last edited:

sniperftw

Going off topic slightly then, I'm looking at getting the Audi TT 2.0tfsi remapped in the near future.

APR remap £245+vat.
Revo remap £499

Which one should I be opting for??

LMFAO was that a serious question or? haha!

sniperftw

Not even that, but for a stage 1 where your just flashing an ECU! how can you charge half a grand!!!!!!! to sit in your drivers seat with a laptop, plug in a cable to the OBD and tap a few keys!!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
At the end of the day, the map is not just about what makes the car fastest, unless that is your number 1 priority. Things likes;

Power Delivery
Where the map can be done
Support
Price
Ability to adjust/modify the map
If "stages" are available available
If it needs to be truly custom or not
etc
etc....

.....all need to be considered. You have to pick whats right for you. Lets not forget that there are loads of tuning companies out there too with all their merits and fall backs like;

Bluefin - Pro - Map it and detune it yourself - Con - Power delivery and performance not the best
P Torque - Pro - Price - Con - Where can it be done in Scotland or remote parts of England?
GIAC - Pro - Switch your map on the move - Con - Ultimately not as quick as others

And others like

Custom Code
***** (the creature Jaws was)
AMD
etc
etc
etc

Will all have their pro's and con's too.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.