APR vs REVO

Poverty

What did I post in my dyno thread? It's not that though, what we are on about is pretty explosive.

How do you rate custom/custard code maps btw Al?

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012

mikee66

Jun 12, 2008
Leven
I don't know if you are connected to a tuner or not but the APR comments are v.cheeky of you, and I'd be careful of you are a tuner as that's not a can of worms that should be opened, because I know a hell of alot of the background going ons of other tuners that would shock quite alot of people.

I'm not affiliated to anyone, What gave you that impression?? I care about what is the very best map i can get for my car without it being unsafe.

Why are my comments cheeky? I like to have every piece of information I can before i buy something for my car. I asked you a question about your car and you skirted around the issue.

I don't know you from Adam so why should i take your word without any PROOF that the apr map is the best map available and also the safest? Would you personally guarantee that if my engine went pop you would pay for the repairs????

I don't agree, I think it's split 50/50. Low down torque suits lazy driving styles and kills clutches. High end power holding suits those who use their gears to their advantage and prefer the power delivery suited to that of race tracks. Massive low down torque just equates into more wheelspin in a fwd car anyway. Saying that the APR gives high low down torque aswell, it just holds power to the red line extremely well.

When pushing on don't forget it's rare that the engine revs will drop below 4500rpm

how many people on here use their car on a track? a tiny minority, and since the speed limit is 70mph i'm pretty positive the majority of folk prefer more low down power.

By your own admission though 50% of the people looking for a map would prefer REVO because it makes more power and more torque down the rev range???

Apr golf r did 12.2 and a 15 sec something 30-130 gps verified. I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did a 11.99 when they try again once all the usual stge 2 plus bolt ons have been added.

Again this is 1 car which is a car that isn't comparable to anything on a SEAT forum and again there is no proof apart from "I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did an 11.99"

that means absolutely nothing.

Yeah that will be a shed load of dosh considering stasis is apparently in deep financial difficulties if what I've been told is true

I'm not allowed to say anything about apr but you can spout rumours no problem???

Also it's strange that one person who was booked into getting the map free and was going to post all the results up on here had his appointment cancelled at the last minute???

On a final note I will say that it's my opinion that you and maybe another couple of people are being looked after by apr and in return you are using your position as a respected member of this community to try and drum up business for them and encouraging fellow members to put on their car what is an unknown quantity.

If that is the case then it's pretty terrible.

sniperftw

Also it's strange that one person who was booked into getting the map free and was going to post all the results up on here had his appointment cancelled at the last minute???

Woaahhhhhh he cancelled for a legitimate reason dude!! He was mapping VW race spec cars! I think they're slightly more important than a free customer! don't you?

Anyway! we are now in the process of deciding when is suitable for us next!

mikee66

Jun 12, 2008
Leven
Woaahhhhhh he cancelled for a legitimate reason dude!! He was mapping VW race spec cars! I think they're slightly more important than a free customer! don't you?

Anyway! we are now in the process of deciding when is suitable for us next!

Ok.

Poverty

I'm not affiliated to anyone, What gave you that impression?? I care about what is the very best map i can get for my car without it being unsafe.

Why are my comments cheeky? I like to have every piece of information I can before i buy something for my car. I asked you a question about your car and you skirted around the issue.

I don't know you from Adam so why should i take your word without any PROOF that the apr map is the best map available and also the safest? Would you personally guarantee that if my engine went pop you would pay for the repairs????

how many people on here use their car on a track? a tiny minority, and since the speed limit is 70mph i'm pretty positive the majority of folk prefer more low down power.

By your own admission though 50% of the people looking for a map would prefer REVO because it makes more power and more torque down the rev range???

Again this is 1 car which is a car that isn't comparable to anything on a SEAT forum and again there is no proof apart from "I wouldn't be surprised if the golf did an 11.99"

that means absolutely nothing.

I'm not allowed to say anything about apr but you can spout rumours no problem???

On a final note I will say that it's my opinion that you and maybe another couple of people are being looked after by apr and in return you are using your position as a respected member of this community to try and drum up business for them and encouraging fellow members to put on their car what is an unknown quantity.

If that is the case then it's pretty terrible.

A few interesting points brought up here, some already been covered. Am off to see drake ATM so will reply later, but just want to quickly say that I'm not starting rumours.

Also if you never go above 70mph why bother with a remap? And considering the Golf R as the Cupra share the same engine it is relevant.

Let me flip this in its head. Where's the proof that Revo is ye quickest and safest map put there?

mikee66

Jun 12, 2008
Leven
A few interesting points brought up here, some already been covered. Am off to see drake ATM so will reply later, but just want to quickly say that I'm not starting rumours.

Also if you never go above 70mph why bother with a remap? And considering the Golf R as the Cupra share the same engine it is relevant.

Let me flip this in its head. Where's the proof that Revo is ye quickest and safest map put there?

I like to get to 70mph quickly.

I never and neither has anyone else said that revo is the safest and quickest map out there.

Yeah that will be a shed load of dosh considering stasis is apparently in deep financial difficulties if what I've been told is true

This is starting rumours as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
considering the Golf R as the Cupra share the same engine it is relevant.
With that theory, do you think a Nissan Gtr would be as quick as it is if it had a manual gearbox and front wheel drive only - or rear drive only for that matter?

mdmay

Jan 4, 2012
wanstead
I have had a Revo map in the past and wasn't hugely impressed as it seemed the car got breathless at over 5K whereas the custom Jabba map I had was a whole lot better. The APR from what i hear from someone who was has had both Jabba and APR is that the APR is better again. My advice do what you want but the general consensus is APR have pulled it out the bag on this one

Poverty

With that theory, do you think a Nissan Gtr would be as quick as it is if it had a manual gearbox and front wheel drive only - or rear drive only for that matter?

We know that when it comes to the 2.0tfsi doing 30-130 the fwd models are quicker than the 4wd ones. A manual gear change takes 0.3 secs on average.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
We know that when it comes to the 2.0tfsi doing 30-130 the fwd models are quicker than the 4wd ones. A manual gear change takes 0.3 secs on average.

And we all know DSG has a distinct advantage over manual.

With reference to the APR times above, this wee quote from www.mk5golfgti.co.uk is interesting;

Sunglasses Ron said:
Saw Jonny's blog on VAGOC and was good to see he had his own little 30-130 day after being let down by MLR.. :smiley:

The Golf certainly seems to shift, but unless it runs on the same strip as we all did it's pointless comparing the times IMO. As has already been said, Marham is uphill for the majority of the 30-130 run..
I was gutted to hear that he had the same problem getting in as one of my mates and that we wasn't going to see the Golf run. Would of been really interesting to see how the BM & Golf compared though considering they have identical terminal speeds at Pod.. :sad1:
Certainly wouldn't want to have a traffic light GP against it though :surprised: Really can't compete with 4WD + LC + S-Tronic in that environment

As mentioned before, comparing a Golf R20T DSG with a Leon Cupra 2.0T is like comparing cheese with butter, even with the same engine.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Lol all these rumours about my car, I thought it had a hole in the gearbox apparently? Or that the rear diff exploded? Pmsl, what I will say is this, even though it has nothing to do with this topic is that I've been fortunate enough to drive a 650hp 911 turbo, and it's really quick obviously, but I want more than that still. I'm really busy ATM but expect a nice update on my car soon.

I don't know if you are connected to a tuner or not but the APR comments are v.cheeky of you, and I'd be careful of you are a tuner as that's not a can of worms that should be opened, because I know a hell of alot of the background going ons of other tuners that would shock quite alot of people.

Back to the 2.0tfsi maps, I don't understand why certain Revo users try to write off APR as if they were the ones who wrote the code. We have had 1/4 mile times, 30-130 times, v-box data, dyno shoot-out results, and you guys are still claiming APR are an unknown quantity? Please let's stop, some people are behaving like APR are some little up start company, let's not forget they are the biggest VAG tuning house in the world.

Well said........
I prefer super chips... Old school but been there for ever...

Love the topic, multi PAC of canned worms coming ;)

Poverty

And we all know DSG has a distinct advantage over manual.

With reference to the APR times above, this wee quote from www.mk5golfgti.co.uk is interesting;

As mentioned before, comparing a Golf R20T DSG with a Leon Cupra 2.0T is like comparing cheese with butter, even with the same engine.

You add a second for the uphill marham stretch, to roughly give you the time of a flat surface run. A ed30 dsg did it in 17 secs. The s3's did it considerably slower at 19-20 secs iirc with manual boxes. Going by that data PLUS the fact that the eddy and the s3 did their times in The dry we can roughly work out that the APR Golf would have been quickest still anyway. Like I said 3 shifts will add 0.9 secs to a manual car. So it looks like in a 30-130 run the 4wd system can slow you down by up to 1.5-2 secs.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Its not conclusive though is it? And you are still not comparing apples with apples. Its really only ever going to be apples with apples when the only difference between 2 cars is the code - much like Owens and I did two years back.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members