Argh!! Nightmare - Power problems, engine management light

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Couldn't have happened at a worst time! Going on holiday on monday [:@]

Anyway, not a mechanic so sorry for not having a clue here.

Leon 1.8t 20v (04)

:help:

Was driving along and drove round a round about, as i was exiting my car started juddering a little and had lose of power when trying to pull away. I initially thought could be a puncture but all was ok.......

Switched the car off, started it up again and it just didn't sound right on start. Tried to pull off and it was juddering/puttering along and had massive lose of power, the engine management light came on and when i found a safe spot to pull over i got out to an eggy smell coming off the car....

Does anyone know what the problem could be here and is it an expensive one....like i say i'm sorry for being dumb here but im not a mechanic in anyway. Knowing me it'll be something obv and i'll look daft here :doh:

Cheers Mikey

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Sticky??? Dont know what you mean

I did think it was something to do with sparks or something. I had aproblem with my coil pack a few years ago in my corsa and remember now it was similar to the same problem..

Not that dear is it?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Sticky??? Dont know what you mean

I did think it was something to do with sparks or something. I had aproblem with my coil pack a few years ago in my corsa and remember now it was similar to the same problem..

Not that dear is it?

I'm sure its a bit different to the coil on a corsa....basically instead of ht leads you have "coil packs" / "coil pencils" whatever you want to call them, so you have 1 for each cylinder. There cheap and simply unplug, pull out and push in, plug back in

chaz44

Feb 21, 2009
hull
your car has basically gone into limp mode ,juddering and loss of power indicates the coil pack is failing it will eventually go altogether and not start best to get it to a garage its cheap to fix dont carry on driving it mate get them to collect it.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
you may find if you take it to a garage theyll do a diagnostics to find out which cylinder it is thats gone... that will then ovbviously bump the price up

a coil is 30quid and an easy fix

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Pulled the 1st 3 packs out and they looked fine, had no Allen keys to access the one under the wee black box so it's either that one or that's not my problem I think. Think I'll need to get it booked in tomorrow the garage I use is litterally 2 mins round from my house. Last thing I needed when I go on holiday on Monday.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
They will "look" fine they are a sealed unit.
Replace one at a time until it solves it, or pull one off and if the car is the same, it isn't that one.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.