Arosa Sport 0-60 times

warren_cox

Back from the dead
we've been looking around for a second car for my missus. Want a nice Mk3 Beeza Cupra but we keep being drawn back to the Lupo / Arosa. She loves the GTi Lupo because even she thinks it great fun to drive (particularly good as the 6 speed box and V V T keeps it on song through the rev range. Just crappy boot space puts her off

biggaz

Jan 6, 2006
my lass has a y plate lupo sport , its a colour concept with factory blue/black full heated leather, nice cars....nippy enough when you get them going!

OvniAl

May 15, 2005
I had a Y reg Arosa Sport before I bought my Cupra, and I absolutely loved it. It was a mk1 in silver, full black leather re-trim, lowered, Smith's alloys, privacy glass, mk2 rear lights and hella round light conversion on the front.

It was so much nicer to drive than my Ibiza. Only thing it lacked over the Ibiza was the torque. Off the line it would sit side by side with my Mum's mk2 Ibiza Cupra 16v to 80ish and would just about stick with my Dad's mk3 Cupra 20vT up to around 70.

They are cracking little cars and I really regret trading it in now. Dealer told me a bloke from Newcastle came and bought it.

NumberoftheBeast

Apr 20, 2005
Manchester
I had the Lupo Sport (100bhp). It had interior extras (Sat nav, climate control, electric sunroof) and had Eibach springs, delocked, RH deep-dish alloys etc. The engine was standard.

I must add that whilst GPS speed is a little "out," my Lupo would hit sixty in less than ten seconds. The needle would hit 60 just as you changed into third.

I agree that they are docile below 4K revs, but they are revvy little buggers and very quick when pushed. I had a blast with a Mk4 Golf GTI - not the 180 one - and battered it (they are about ten secs book too are't they?!) and raced a Mk2 Golf and it was a close call up to 60, but I do think it would have pipped me. I had plays with Saxo Vtrs and MGZR 105s and showed them the POWER!!!! I glued myself to a lardy Focus ST170 - ok I was giving it some following him and not getting closer, but he was gunning it too, looking worriedly in his rear view.

I have been in OvniAl's old Arosa (HI AL!!!) and it was bloody fast. It's always quicker being driven than driving yourself. My Girlfriend who is on here has just bought an Arosa 16V (Mk 1) and that is nippy. I have driven it a few times (aaah the nostalgia) and love it. They are very deceiving.

But, bottom line is - the Leon Cupra R is the fastest car in the world.

P.s. Who said the MGZR 160 is the same as an Arosa Sport? Doubtful... I played with one (think it was non-standard mind you) on the motorway when I had the Audi S3 225, and it was damn quick. A car llength from 80-120....

warren_cox

Back from the dead
some old boy in one of the vw mags (a couple of years ago now), had a Garrett T2 turbo whacked onto his 100bhp 16V Sport Lupo. Think it had an ABT bodykit as well. The figures said it went like the clappers. Another in Top Gear said his company car was an M3 (new shape), but he had bought a Lupo GTi for kicking about in. Said it was far more fun than the M3 around town and ended up using it more than the M3 in the end - problem is until you've driven one its hard to believe they can be any good. The Lupo GTi just wasn't the same animal as the Polo GTi (Mk5 version), far more focussed, and the sport was only a pebble throw away from the Lupo GTi. That said you were never going to live with Civic type R's, or turbo 1.8T's from SEAT (the Golf was less of a problem), but still a rapid little animal.

Our cars were both going back under the options plan over 3 years from new so major surgery wasn't on the cards.

I went for a test drive in the Mini Cooper S when it was launched, and the salesbod was expecting me to fling the keys of the Lupo GTi at him and part-ex there and then. Considering its 167bhp against about 140bhp in mine (slightly fettled) it really didn't impress. Mind you neither did the mini's tweeter cover that fell into my lap as I slammed the door shut....

eXXXtreme arosa

hi guys any ideas on a 0-60 for an arosa with 140 bhp??? bb teknics in germany sell two kits 140 bhp turbo kit and a 160 bhp turbo kit just wondered if any one had actually turbo'd one? i love my arosa it whoops vtr's all day long, kept up with a cammed up one too hehehe needs a new clutch tho lil chav who had it b4 me must double clutched everywhere grrrr any one recommend a good clutch kit? im lookin at ebc n black dimond at the moment but a vw guy sed they were cheap and cheerful :S any opinions? cheers

statto_the_yid

Jul 5, 2005
The Mrs has 1.0s Arosa on a 53 plate - thats well quick at 0-60 in 18 secs - my last car was a milkfloat and it wouldnt of kept up.

Anyways I wa thinking about a 1.4 Sport for myself, but would it be a culture shock for me - oh and do they come with aircom and arse the seats better than the 1.0s ?

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
The seats are much better than the 1.0, as is the interior trim colours :p

Aircon was not available on Arosas in the UK.. you could possibly get hold of a written off Lupo and get it retro-fitted...

madbsc

Arosa 1.4 16v

Hi All, just thought I'd join in about the 1.4 16v performance, as I have one.

Figures from Parkers show the o-60 time as 9.7 and top speed of 117, weight 910kg, see link http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/seat/arosa/hatchback-1997/

My arosa has 130k on the clock and I have had 50 thousand miles of great fun, last MOT it failed but I just couldn't bare to part with it.

I have had quite a few burn-ups, but I'm realistic about the performance and most gains are under breaking and cornering. That said, many are shocked at the performance of this little shopping trolly and because of this they are often caught off guard and in the wrong gear.

I had considered adding a turbo, but because traction is an issue with 100bhp front wheel drive car, I doubt you could gain that much off the line, so decided to leave it alone.

p.s Parkers show Lupo GTI 0-60 8.0 seconds and top speed 127 with 123bhp and weight 1015kg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.