Audi RS4 b7 Cabriolet - Protection Detail

Jim@WD

Audi b7 RS4 Cabriolet – 2008

Winter Protection Detail with full Interior and LTT Leather care.

I’ve been looking forward to this one.. Why? I’m an Audi man myself. I’m on my fourth!

Generally, this is a very well looked after vehicle. Mainly used at the weekends and hardly even driven these last two/three months..

Before:

DSC00633wd.jpg

After:

DSC00819wd.jpg

Product:
• 303 Fabric Guard
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• Belgom ALU
• ChemicalGuys JetSEAL901
• Clearkote Red Moose Glaze
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice SuperNatural
• LTT Auto Ultra Foam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Lusso Revitalizing Cream
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
• Sonus Green Mild Clay
• Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

• Black Baron Vehicle Dryer
• Karcher something or other.. (soon to be replaced by a Kranzle!)
• Porter Cable 7424 Dual-action polisher
• VAX6131 wet n dry vac

Inspection..

DSC00634wd.jpg

DSC00635wd.jpg

DSC00638wd.jpg

DSC00639wd.jpg

DSC00640wd.jpg

As always, I started with the wheels. AutoSmart G101, various brushes and mitts to reach through the spokes to clean the rim/hub and caliper..

DSC00644wd.jpg
DSC00645wd.jpg

Jim@WD

DSC00649wd.jpg
DSC00652wd.jpg

After a thorough soaking, ValetPRO SnowFoam applied and allowed to dwell for a few minutes..

DSC00655wd.jpg

…whilst I dealt with the finicky areas:

DSC00658wd.jpg
DSC00662wd.jpg

DSC00660wd.jpg

DSC00663wd.jpg

Washed – Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild and a Lambswool mitt.

DSC00665wd.jpg

I wasn’t expecting much pick-up from the claying stages.. To touch, the car was generally quite smooth and appeared contaminant free.

Clay bar before:

DSC00666wd.jpg

Clay bar after boot lid and N/S doors if I remember correctly (only as far down as the bump-strips at this stage..)

DSC00668wd.jpg

Jim@WD

^more than I expected after all.

Lower-doors, boot and the bumpers were the worst areas..

DSC00670wd.jpg

DSC00673wd.jpg

After I clay one/two panels, I will often rinse the area to rid of the lube residues.. This usually leads to ample amounts of standing water.

DSC00676wd.jpg

Now, rather than lapping it up with a drying towel, allow free-flowing water to ‘sheet’ over the panel.

DSC00677wd.jpg

This, as seen, makes life much easier when drying as there is now very little stood water (and also minimises the chance of marring the paint)

DSC00678wd.jpg

Remaining water on the car was picked with a mf drying towel and then crevices/wheels/gaps/mesh blown with the Black Baron.

DSC00680wd.jpg

This is an amazing bit of kit! Where I’d usually end up cursing water that drips down from the window join or petrol filler, its completely eliminated. No more smears when polishing, waxing or buffing!

One clean, dry RS4. Looks stunning already!

DSC00681wd.jpg

DSC00684wd.jpg

Once inside, Lusso Revitalizing Cream was worked into the paint via DA and a 3M finishing pad with a blob of Red Moose Glaze to add some depth to the red paint.

DSC00687wd.jpg

DSC00688wd.jpg

Jim@WD

Now, in previous Winter Protection Details, Lusso’s Revitalizing Cream has come into its own with its ease of use, looks and ability to remove most of the surface hazing.. This was no exception.

Cloudy swirled paint on the O/S door..

DSC00694wd.jpg

And after a pass with Lusso and the Red Moose Glaze:

DSC00696wd.jpg

By no means is it perfect, but, considering Audi paint is particularly ‘bomb-proof’, I was pleased at the cleaning ability given.

DSC00699wd.jpg

Which was all followed up with a fine coat of Dodo Juice SuperNatural wax..

DSC00710wd.jpg

DSC00713wd.jpg
DSC00714wd.jpg

DSC00715wd.jpg

Alloys were sealed with ChemicalGuys’ JetSEAL901.. After I’d applied to all four, I tidied the exhaust tips up with Belgom ALU and the wheels are now about ready to be buffed up..

DSC00724wd.jpg
DSC00781wd.jpg

Tyres dressed with Megs endurance. Windows cleaned with AutoGlym Fast Glass.

DSC00726wd.jpg

Jim@WD

Whoa’ MOMMA!

DSC00728wd.jpg

A few final exterior checks and I notice a healthy amount of polish build-up in both of the side badges. I later learnt that the previous valeters liked their AutoGlym kit so no doubt this was Super Resin Polish remains..

After a bit off tooth-pickery, they came up fine.

DSC00732wd.jpg
DSC00734wd.jpg

Convertible hood was protected with 303’s Fabric Guard.

DSC00737wd.jpg

I then started on the interior (which was in fine shape already (albeit the leather which was due a deep-clean..))

This was the dirt that was lifted from the drivers seat:

DSC00739wd.jpg

DSC00741wd.jpg

DSC00748wd.jpg

DSC00749wd.jpg

I’m pretty stocked up now! (Thanks to the owners for a healthy supply of biscuits and coffee all day!)

DSC00744wd.jpg

More final checks; a quick spritz over with Z8 to clean up any Fabric Guard smears that may have made their way down to the paintwork..

DSC00751wd.jpg

Jim@WD

DSC00823wd.jpg
DSC00833wd.jpg

DSC00826wd.jpg

Packed up and ready to go..

DSC00830wd.jpg

Final..

DSC00839wd.jpg

DSC00836wd.jpg
DSC00842wd.jpg

And two which have been played with slightly in Photoshop:

DSC00786iwd.jpg

DSC00828wd.jpg

So, who wants to buy a 1.9TDi Avant Quattro Sport to make way for my new car!!!?

I enjoyed both the ~7 hour detail on the car, and, documenting the report.. Such a strong, vivid image. I’d love to see the car in ‘full-sun’. I hope to be revisiting once a month to maintain things, so, fingers crossed!

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim

my_other_car

gleamer!

the Black Baron device looks great

what did you use on the leather?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.