Auto guages smoked boost, wiring???

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
ok just need to know block numbers for wires here please dudes or colours.., have wired into the ones that i found on guides on here and it does not seem to light up when i turn the ignition on, only when i turn the sidelights on, this is next to useless as it is a smoked front guage and i cant see it in the daylight...

Any help much appreciated...

Oh the wires from the guage are

BLACK = EARTH (got that)
ORANGE = CONNECT TO 12V LIGHTING
RED = 12V IGNITION SWITCH.

So if someone can tell me exactly what wires to put these too in the back of the lighting controls that would be great..please help, i need DA BOOST!!! Again!!!

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Get rid of the orange mate, you dont need it for smoked gauges.

I earthed to one of the bare metal bolts above the fuse holder behind the dash.

You need to connect the live to the switch 'thing' that turns up the brightness on your dash lights.
If you look in behind the dash you can see the lights unit. on the closest side to you there is the connection plug that goes to the brightness adjuster.
You need to wire the live into the wire one in from the end.

Cant remember which end so twist the wires up and stick it in the hole that would normally connect to the adjuster and turn on the ignition. one of them will turn on your gauge lights. I Scotch Locked(sp) into it.

Also see:

http://www.leoncupra.co.uk

go to guides, interior mods, boost gauge for pics.

Hope this helps

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Cheers fella, i managed to get it done in the end last night after much fiddling about with wires...

The final outcome for wiring goes like this.....(for peoples reference in the future who may also want to know how to do it)

From the guage.... In the loom.....

RED }JOIN TOGETHER Blue gray wire, 2nd from top on dimmer switch connector
ORANGE }
BLACK Brown wire on left hand side connector (top right)

This combinaton allows the guage to light up when the ignition turns on, as well as having the guage adjustable with the interior dimmer switch for the car interior lights,,

I did think with the Autoguages Smoked front guage, that it was really hard to see in bright sunshine, but at night it looks excellent...

Well i hope this helps if you are stuck fitting one of these in the future...

Matt.

Last edited:

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
I did it myyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyy

Just for future reference neither of the above worked for me. I scotchblocked both orange and red into the blue/grey wire on the dimmer adjustment. The red wire on the bigger light switch loom is a permanent live, so my gauges lit up all of the time. They didnt light up without both red and orange connected.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
ok so an update from me, it seems that when i turn the ignition off and remove the key, the guage still glows, very very very faintly, so gonna have to do some fiddling when i get home in a bit.....didnt realise this until yesterday....sure it didnt do it to start with!!! strange!!!!!

Will try Neil C's method....

works fine now, edited previous post.

Last edited:

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
there are other threads on this, its not hard, very simple. you dont even need to connect the orange wire, i havent because i didnt require the dimming function

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
COPRA: Yeah i found a few but from my dummies point of view they were not that clear to me, people saying connect to the dimmer wire..well if you dont know what wire the dimmer wire is..what good is that? So i just put it in easy terms for fools like myself...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.