Back To Petrol

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Just curious if any one else had a go at diesel and thought it was fantatastic for a while. Then ended up missing petrol so much, sold up and returned back!

Russo

Second Row Forward
Sep 10, 2005
Hatfield, Herts
I had a mk3 golf diesel, non-turbo. Got so fed up of transit vans, black cabs, 1.0 Corsas etc.. whooping my ass i went and bought my gt4-petrol with a big turbo :D .

The new diesel turbos are great but they just dont have the engine noise of a petrol car. Thing is, if the golf had a turbo, i probably wouldnt have sold it. But heh, such is life.

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
always had diesel due to the miles and economy. but much prefur the sound of a petrol... less london taxi cab!

rest of the family have petrol and as much as i like them i win over all as they loose time filling up with fuel!

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
trouble with diesals is they have such a short power band, usually higher torque than petrol but sometimes its so intense and short its unusable

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I swap back and forth every time I change car, VR6-TDI-VR6-TDI-1.8T-TDI-1.8T-TDI and so on! Probably left a few out of there too. Thing is the new petrols are getting more Diesel like, eg. the 2.0 FST Turbo, and the new Diesels are getting more petrol like eg. the 2.0 16v TDI.
Not sure which I prefer to be honest, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I know I prefer the modern turbo engines to some of the Japanese high rev screamer petrol engines as road and traffic conditions just make the latter hard work in my eyes.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i doubt i would change back unless something drastic happened to the price of petrol, or petrol engines suddenly drunk a lot less.

But for real world driving i still can't see how you can beat the torque of the TDi, specially if you spend a lot of time driving round our capital.

Maybe i am gettig old, but as much as i love my cars ( and i do) i cannot justify the cost of running a petrol car over a tdi car.

10 years ago when petrol and diesels were miles a part, but now they are nearly on a par, bar the noise ( which is getting better with eveyr incarnation) .

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
a little note to all you diesel lovers who go on about MPG, on average if you buy a brand new diesel and a brand new petrol car of same model spec etc, then it will take you 10 years of motoring to see any financial gain from the increased MPG of a diesel car.

Obviously buying a 2nd hand diesel throws this theory right out the window

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
CupraSteve said:
a little note to all you diesel lovers who go on about MPG, on average if you buy a brand new diesel and a brand new petrol car of same model spec etc, then it will take you 10 years of motoring to see any financial gain from the increased MPG of a diesel car.

So does that work for the Ibiza FR Tdi phase one that have been priced the same at 12995 for the last 18 months.

to be honest your argument on that one is very floored in todays market where diesels are being priced more and more comparatively to the petrol alternative i doubt it would take 10 years to regain the difference.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
i dont think you can apply the theory to any model specifically, just based on reports done on a number of cars, then worked out on average how long it would take etc

philcourt

Anyone see Top Gear last night?
Clarkson got it spot on when that bloke said his Jag Diesel was cool.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
CupraSteve said:

You also generally get much better resale with the Diesel, and hence plenty of your original investment back particularly on a higher mileage example. Buying a Diesel isn't necessarily about cost. I do a very low mileage in mine but still prefer the ownership on balance (apart from the mess when filling the tank!) due to the easy driving characteristics.

As a good example, have a look on Autotrader website: See how much a Golf GTI 1.8T goes for compared to it's Diesel counterpart. Also factor in cheaper tax and insurance on most models. And here we have the start of one of those pointless Petrol vs Diesel 'debates' :rolleyes:

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
lol nah i dont diss diesels they are very impressive what kind power and performance they produce these days, gone are the days of chugging engines and black smoke

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
cupra fan said:
Just curious if any one else had a go at diesel and thought it was fantatastic for a while. Then ended up missing petrol so much, sold up and returned back!
yes i owned a mkiv golf gti T for 6 months.had to sell it as i was going to buy a house and bought a golf mkiv 115 TDI that had been remapped.i smoked the diesel for around 4 months and the noise sent me insane.don't get me wrong the diesel was a great car and quite quick aswell but i traded it in for the LCR in the end

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Just sold my Fabia VRS (Jabba chipped) tonight - picking up my Leon Cupra (Revo chipped) tommorow
The VRS although lower on power was about 100lb/ft torque more than the LC and the mid range pull a lot stronger - hope i'm not gonna regret changing

I only drive 7-8 miles to work so the diesel hadn't really warmed up to get the full benefit of economy although it was doing around 36mpg - on a run it'd do around 56-64mpg

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
To be honest, was trying to say- just missed that driveing feeling of going through the rev range, hearing the exhaust note increasing etc.
With diesel, right going for a spin without the kids, open the garage start the engine, then that tappety noise of idle starts, then no chasing it through the gears up the revs etc just ruined it for me! The fun had gone (Can totally understand the diesel argument, loved owning one, in that practical real world, superb, just missed that buzz of a drive experience)

Be intresting to hear robby71 thoughts on this! after driving petrol again

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
I prefer diesel, never actually owned a petrol car (aprt from my R/C imprezza lol)

The PD is a brilliant diesel and i could not go back to a slower derv tho!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
cupra fan said:
To be honest, was trying to say- just missed that driveing feeling of going through the rev range, hearing the exhaust note increasing etc.
With diesel, right going for a spin without the kids, open the garage start the engine, then that tappety noise of idle starts, then no chasing it through the gears up the revs etc just ruined it for me! The fun had gone (Can totally understand the diesel argument, loved owning one, in that practical real world, superb, just missed that buzz of a drive experience)

Be intresting to hear robby71 thoughts on this! after driving petrol again

To be equally honest the 1.8t doesn't sound very good either. The Cupra R admittedly sounds a bit better, presumably because of a different exhaust tune. The 1.8t is a bit clattery at idle when cold (though nowhere near as clattery as a Diseasel) and the turbo doesn't flow that well at high revs on a standard Cupra/FR. The refinement is there it just feels a little soul-less in the 1.8t. Standard cars here BTW before anyone starts on me!!!

The other thing is the PD's midrange torque sort of becomes addictive. Once you drive something else you just seem to be waiting for the rush of torque, even though it may sound loads better in a petrol car.
So buy another petrol at your peril! You will probably end up like me bouncing back and forth between engine styles trying to find something with a happy medium.

If you're missing petrols that much, go and test drive a few at your local car dealers. They don't know that you're not a serious buyer and you can leave the family at home so they won't spoil your fun! Then you can return to your sensible TDI and slip back into Clark Kent mode.

Why not re-map your TDI anyway? That will give you most of the best of both worlds.

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
I did buy enougher petrol! sold the 2.4 diesel and bought a cupra instead! and love it!
Dosen't sound like there are many converts back from the darkside, one best diesel engines i've ever driven was the old focus tdci, besides the idle, very hard to tell it was a diesel in it's mannerisms, unfortuantly the misses gave it a good tankfull of 98 unleaded :think:
To the carsupermarket it went, for the quickest trade in ever:whistle:

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
Arctic said:
I prefer diesel, never actually owned a petrol car (aprt from my R/C imprezza lol)

The PD is a brilliant diesel and i could not go back to a slower derv tho!

dont see how you can say you prefer diesel after not owning a petrol :cartman:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.