Bad stability

leon13

Mar 5, 2009
Hi my Leon has bad stability it waddles about in a straight line it feels ok on the bends dealer can not find nothing wrong, but the fitter can feel it when driving it. I thing its the computer that controls the stability program.both rear sock's replaced leaking. has any body else had this thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Shocks, Alignment, Tyres, bushes

Dealer will struggle to find what's wrong as the diagnostics won't tell them.

Find a really good VW Independant

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Mine has started to feel like this a 22k miles. Imperfections in the road can often dictate the direct of the car by pulling the steering wheel slightly. It just feels really fidgety. If you find anything can you let us know please. :)

Danny.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi my Leon has bad stability it waddles about in a straight line it feels ok on the bends dealer can not find nothing wrong, but the fitter can feel it when driving it. I thing its the computer that controls the stability program.both rear sock's replaced leaking. has any body else had this thanks
Is it still in warranty/ under 60k miles? co's most of the things mentioned should be covered, and has Mork says find a good VW Marque independant

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
How are your tyres? I had a mini cooper S (bmw type) which became very much like this and new fronts sorted it out. Modern Low profile tyres can become very squirelly well before the tread is worn out- the legal limit is fine as a way of avoiding endorsements or to keep a shopping car from grinding it's rims on the road but on a high performance sporting front wheel driver......
If there is a chassis alignment problem then go to a place with 4 wheel laser alignment kit -old fashioned "tracking" adjustment is not adequate.

leon13

Mar 5, 2009
Yes car is still under warranty it has 4 new tyres 4k ago and four wheel tracked been to three dealers for this the problem. by the way when parking the car at night has any body noticed that the head lights flicker and dim when you steer the car

SimonM

Yes car is still under warranty it has 4 new tyres 4k ago and four wheel tracked been to three dealers for this the problem. by the way when parking the car at night has any body noticed that the head lights flicker and dim when you steer the car

Do you mean the fog lights? They come on and off depending what way you turn the steering wheel, normally when the wheel is past the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (hope that makes sence).

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
That IS a new one!!- it not a insurance write off is it ?!?@ get a history check done co's that is weired what with all your other problems too. If your new to SEAT I can assure you SEATs DO NOT behave like that. ..........................
nb: [ just a thought I assume the transit blocks have been removed from the suspension system - think they are red/yellow blocks?? Seat techic's might know what colour]

Last edited:

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
Really positive turn in coupled with a feeling of instability is often due to too much toe out at the rear. Can also be too much slow bump on the rear dampers.

If it feels fidgety over uneven surfaces and unsatble that's normally not enough toe in at the front, although it can also be a problem with the fast bump setting on the

Often problems after lowering suspension of fitting 'performance' kits.

Another potential cause is a bent suspension arm (alters caster and secondary toe/ camber changes under deflection) but you normally notice this because the car pulls to the side in a straight line - unless you bend them on both sides!!!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
mine has felt this way for a while now , most cars seem to out handle mine , i get torque steer and if i am too agressive pulling off the front of my car slides to the right while trying to get traction.
I dont have much confidence in my handling at all tbh , and have 4 new verdestein sessantas fitted , straight line grip is great but cornering is not a reflection on the tyres did it before they were fitted.

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
mine has felt this way for a while now , most cars seem to out handle mine , i get torque steer and if i am too agressive pulling off the front of my car slides to the right while trying to get traction.
I dont have much confidence in my handling at all tbh , and have 4 new verdestein sessantas fitted , straight line grip is great but cornering is not a reflection on the tyres did it before they were fitted.

Have you done any mods on the suspension at all??
What are your current toe settings, front AND rear?

I would have thought the torque steer was to be expected with the power you're putting out, after all, there's no LSD or clever reactive geometry.

What would bother me is instability turning into the corner - i.e. the rate of change of direction of the car isn't linear to the steering, and the back end feels light as you try to settle into the apex. Unsettled ride in a straight line and a little squirming under breaking are indicators of firm suspension, but what you don't want is serious hopping when cornering on rough surfaces - i.e. where the car hops sideways because the suspension can't follow the coutours of the road. That normally means the slow bump on the dampers is too high or the springs too stiff.

If you describe how the car behaves when doing the following over bumpy and smooth surfaces:

Constant speed in a straight line
Accelerating in a straight line
Braking in a straight line

Entering a corner at constant speed
Entering a corner whilst still braking
Exiting a corner and accelerating

Does the front end understeer early in the corner, mid corner or only when you try to accelerate?

Is there a difference in the feel of the stability when cornering smoothly al low and high speeds?

leon13

Mar 5, 2009
hi have had the car from new with no mods it was fine till October 08 been look at a lot with no look yet slowing getting worse!

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
hi have had the car from new with no mods it was fine till October 08 been look at a lot with no look yet slowing getting worse!

OK, so no mods.
Can you answer the questions above i asked Rob, so i can try to narrow down what the cause could be?

Can you also get some good photo's of your front and rear tyres showing the tread pattern across the width of the tyre. (label them up front, rear, left & right)

Last edited:

leon13

Mar 5, 2009
Sorry james g for the late reply been in the hospital. car behaves at a Constant speed in a straight line rear of car feels like its wobbling about on smooth road, on bumpy road its front and back wobbling about.

Accelerating in a straight line and Braking in a straight line
the car is not bad just wobbling about.

Entering a corner at constant speed right hand car dose not follow the bend well left hand bends it ok.

Entering a corner whilst still braking
as above

Exiting a corner and accelerating
not to bad as long as you don't give it to much gas

The difference in the feel of the stability when cornering smoothly at low speed is wobbly and high speed its not bad.

understeers only at mid corner

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
IMO if the rear dampers were shot then the fronts must be also. They've done the same mileage I assume.

Then as said you are looking at bushes and alignment.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
When i give my car some beans , it squirms left and right , never goes straight.
I too notice that turn in left or right (cant remember which) is a lot better one way more than the other.
My tyres wear evenly and all pressures are checked twice a month , but i have no idea what causes the stability issue , might get my tracking and 4 wheel alignment done if i can find a place i trust.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
When i give my car some beans , it squirms left and right , never goes straight.
I too notice that turn in left or right (cant remember which) is a lot better one way more than the other.
My tyres wear evenly and all pressures are checked twice a month , but i have no idea what causes the stability issue , might get my tracking and 4 wheel alignment done if i can find a place i trust.

Well on my Fr I find it goes round left corners far better than right. My car has been 4 wheel aligned 3 times but never makes a difference , I think after fitting the sportlines it has made it a bit better. I wondered if it was tyres as can't remember this before I fitted vredestein ultrac sessanta oh and mine is on 18's? Just thinking of ideas.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise