Beeping, red flashing light.. WTF?

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Hi,

Not been on a while as my car is being good and I'm merrily thrashing it about the countryside.....

But the other day the car beeped at me - an angry beeping that freaked me out.

I think I've narrowed it down to the brakes. I think.

Sometimes, with no specific pattern, there's a loud beeping 4 times followed by the handbrake light flashing about 10 times - then it stops. It might happen in about 3 minutes time, it might happen in 30 but then again it might not.

The first time it happened, I was parked on a hill in Sheffield, but it's since happened on a few hills and sometimes when I just start the car.

The pads don't seem to be too worn and the brakes and handbrake all work fine - the brake fluid seems ok (I think I checked the right one at any rate) and I'm stumped. And it's not that the handbrake's on either.

It's going in to the dealer on Tuesday as it's seriously overdue a service but I'd rather go in with an idea and a clue....

Anyone?

(Oh, I don't have a manual so I can't look in there....)

J.:confused:

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Could be the sensor for the handbrake. That will beep if you leave the handbrake on. Don't know how long it goes on for as i have never done it, but if the sensor is broken it could trigger when the brake is actually off.????

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Not the same kind of beeping - I've just had it a few times this evening - it always seems to be when I'm on some kind of slope or when after I've been accelerating and decelerating (when driving through the country).

It's 3 loud beeps and the handbrake light flashes about 10 times - then stops.

It's freaky as it's always when I'm not expecting it...

Help?!?!

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Checked the brake oil this morning and it looks ok - I mean there is some - as for it's quality....

I also checked my engine oil this morning too and it was a bit low, but I've since topped it up.

Now, however, the beeping seems to come on whenever I use the brakes and now the handbrake light just flashes constantly and the 3 beeps come on semi-regularly....

It's due in the garage on Tuesday morning fortunately... Unfortunately, I've got a bit of driving to do....

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I've had a look online and it's suggested that it might be the brake fluid level - I've had a look in the little tub thing and it looks kindof of.

How can I check this to be absolutely sure it's not low?

I need to do all these basic checks before Tuesday as it's off to the dealer for a (much needed) service....

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
In the meantime, I'm borrowing my Mum's VW Polo 1.9tdi Sport (ha ha, Sport my arse) with 100bhp. Wooo. Went to overtake something earlier as I'd forgotten about the 50bhp loss and different car.... Pulled back in and had to drive at 50.

**shakes head**

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
How can I check my brake fluid level btw? I've opened the cap but it looks ok - how can I tell if it's down?

If remove the cap, if you can see the fluid almost to the top, should be fine, but think on the side of the container should be some lines, min and max :rolleyes:

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I've looked at that and it seems to be full enough. I can't really see the min/max levels as the bottle's filthy....

I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to get it checked/sorted/serviced. In my complete vehicular ignorance - what's the repercussions of no brake fluid?

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
Thanks :) Ha ha - thing is, even with the brake fluid apparently being off, I've still got brakes....

I guess I'll be extra, extra careful on the way to the shop tomorrow...

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
You should see the arrow on the side, you may need wipe it wid a tissue as it may be dirty.

quick shot for ya ;)

ABCD0007.jpg

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
It's Dot 4 (it says so on the bottle - it's JUST about legible) and it was indeed low - 2/3 of a bottle later and the beeping has stopped :)

Thanks everyone!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members