Best bush setup for non-track use

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I bought complete strut top kits from TPS.
I think the oe ones are made from a stronger compound rubber as the cupras are a sportier car.
Id go oe if i were you.
You may buy some off Ebay etc or aftermarket that'll fit but you wouldn't be sure of the rubber quality/compound.

Think the kit is new bush, top bearing, nut n washer.

Was about £100 for the 2 kits if memory serves.
Thanks!
Went for a Febi kit in the end - I haven't had any issues with their stuff in the past, and it can't make things any worse than they are... ;)

Now to hunt around for a 7mm allen key that I'm sure I've got but have no idea where it is... And a spring compressor... I know the guy across the road from me has one, but I could just buy a Hilka one for £15...

Reactions: Rich.T

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Hard to say. They both look the same
A definate hidden horror though.
To be honest it looked better than I was expecting and the bearing was fine. Nearside still needs to be done though - had a van blocking the street so I couldn't work in the road without getting buzzed by cars. It's definitely squashed though. Looking forward to a road test tomorrow.

Top nut was impossible to get off. Drove down the road to my local garage and the guy there got his ugga-dugga gun on it and it came off in seconds. Now the car is on axle stands I'm tempted to do the wishbones, but one job at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Front ARB bushes likely won't come out without snapping the ARB at that age. At least that's what the garage told me last month because mine's knackered! They recommended I get an H&R one and worth getting the rear as well, so just trying to find the £360 :-o

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Front ARB bushes likely won't come out without snapping the ARB at that age. At least that's what the garage told me last month because mine's knackered! They recommended I get an H&R one and worth getting the rear as well, so just trying to find the £360 :-o
I can't speak for yours, but mine was pretty knackered too and other than having to chip away at the plastic sleeve that was left on the ARB, I didn't really have any trouble putting new bushes on. It's rusty and the powdercoat has cracked and come off, so I'll probably treat it at some point and spray it, just to keep the rust off. Putting a new ARB on the front will involve dropping the subframe and by all accounts sounds like it would be a right pain in the backside - and expensive too... Rear ARB is ridiculously easy to put on though, but there does seem to be some "science" about the thickness of the front ARB compared to the rear.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I know what you mean but it hasn't got the weight of the car pushing down on it now.

Take another 5-8mm off for that.
It felt much more snug when I jacked up the knuckle to tighten everything up, and it was nice to have the top cap flush again, rather than sticking out an inch. It's mad that every time I was going over an uneven road or speed bumps or whatever, that there was that much up and down movement between the bush and the top mount.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
As if, its just 2 crusty clamps and out it comes. I doubt the ARB would break if it hadnt done already if it was that bad.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018

And after...

Much better, but just wanted to check to make sure a little bit of a gap is normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.