Best sockets for high torque applications

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm after a handful of half inch drive sockets to do the suspension and bushes on my car, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brands. My current preference looks to be the Sealey Walldrive sockets, something like this;

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Tools/Mechanics-Tools/Socketry/12-Drive-Sockets/?SEAS1219&0&t5_309

While snap-on would be the ultimate (and far more expensive!), I was wondering whether there is anything between the two. Any suggestions?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I have to admit, I'd not even considered them, despite owning a few of the smaller sockets! I'll have a look in the shop sometime, their website only seems to show the sets when I know that they also sell individual sockets.

Thanks for that. Any more suggestions?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Id go the halfrauds route. ive got some of there sockets there still quite new but not had a problem with them as yet.

Snap on come with a lifetime garentee though so its pretty much a buy once option.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
My brother in law did also point out that if the things snap, it's only a short ride back to the shop to get another one. Looks like Halfords will be getting a visitor at lunchtime! :)

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
all halfords pro non-ratchet stuff, i.e. sockets, extensions etc. come with lifetime warranties too. I've heard of people getting replacement ratchets too as they told the staff they only bought it last week. (even though they didn't)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I did head over to Halfords yesterday, and came across a problem that I didn't expect. They've replaced most of the larger sizes with twelve point sockets, and I'm 99% sure as soon as I start to use them they will round the bolts off. Their smaller sizes were still six point, and some of the sets had the right sized socket, but not the singles.

However, I've found a place called Cromwells in Coventry, so I'm going to see what they have available.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Unfortunately they don't have the sizes at all in the impact wrench range, they do 15, 17, 19 etc but not the 16 or 18. But yes, they would have done the job no problem.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
A breaker bar will be my tool of choice, I can't see enough clearance to get my impact wrench in there. But I do believe that impact sockets can be used with a breaker bar?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, thanks. I was considering impact sockets more because they're six point rather than just the strength of them. The pro range have changed to twelve point, and I have an inherent distrust of twelve point sockets, having been left with far too many rounded nuts. So I wanted to get six point sockets, and impact sockets are all generally six points.

If I can get a six point 'standard' socket, then that gets the thumbs up from me. Hence the thought about the Sealey one I linked to at the beginning.