Best tyres for motorway miles

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
The Mk4 diesel is wracking up the miles and as such could do with some new rubber. Any one have any suggestions as to which tyres to go for? Must have good grip and longevity, not really limited on price but must be good value for money. Have Firestone Firehawk on at the moment i think.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
michelin are known for super long life and grip :)

Erm, the former definitely, not sure about the latter? I'd almost be tempted to say that Michelin have the lowest grip of all decent tyres. Personally I'd never buy Michelin, their strong bias towards 'low rolling resistance' and 'incredibly long lasting' just seems totally wrong.

But I can't really talk, I have 'fullrun' on my car at the moment... Bertie Bassett could mix up a better rubber compound.

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
Erm, the former definitely, not sure about the latter? I'd almost be tempted to say that Michelin have the lowest grip of all decent tyres. Personally I'd never buy Michelin, their strong bias towards 'low rolling resistance' and 'incredibly long lasting' just seems totally wrong.

But I can't really talk, I have 'fullrun' on my car at the moment... Bertie Bassett could mix up a better rubber compound.

Just goes to show you know absolutely nothing about tyres

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-PS2.htm

Last edited:

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
Ask a stupid question time, the size on there at the moment is 195 55 15, if i were to purchase some 195 50 15's as a replacement, would this massively affect fuel consumption? There just seems to be a bigger range of tyres available in that size.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
There's about 4% less rolling distance between the two. So in theory it would cost the same amount of fuel to travel 4% shorter distance.

In practice, you probably wouldn't notice, and if it opens up a bigger range of tyres, at hopefully a better price, it's probably worth doing.

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
toyo proxie 4's i just picked up my 205/40/16's (a pair)for £112 :)
Yoko Prada spec 2, was temped by these at 150 for 2

Want them cheap aswel?
have a goosey gander on Camskill.co.uk

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
I work part time fitting tyres, It depends how much you have to spend, i personally run maxxis MA Z4S tyres on mine, and are very impressed with them, i give my car some stick so dont see the point in putting soft tyres on, my last set of 'softs' lasted me 4500 miles. These maxxis have laster 7000 miles and still have 4mm of tread left, they are also very quiet, and grip very very well in the wet, i have tried the other tread patterns too but find these the best all rounders. There a cracking price too! We sell alot to taxi drivers, just because of how long they last and grip they give. Hope this helps.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
we get good reviews on them too, a friend is running a corsa SRI 1.6T on Falkens and prefers them to the continentals that were on previously! Quite a few people like the Falkens on here. Dont see why not to be honest, good tyre, last long and a price you cant grumble at! Unless you are going to be throwing you car around a track, i dont see the point in putting on Proxies or Parada spec 2's to be honest :)

steve_1017

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for that, i found a set of 4 on Blackcircles.com for £137.60 delivered. Seemed a good price, chuck £20 at the tyre guy down at work and job done then!

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Makey, you know more about tyres than me. I've just always had proxies tbh so dont have anything to compare them to...apart from really shite cheap ones i just to have on my polo valver.

what makes you say theres no point in putting them on? too soft? not grippy enough? quicky wear? expensive?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One thing about Michelin, well especially Pilot Exaltos, they do seem to deliver in warm weather, but they caused me to buy a spare set of steels and Alpins for the severe winter weather. This is fair enough as they are sold as summer tyres and I now know that cold weather is definately not their forte (check out the tyre ratings), even the guy at my local Costco now says that they should never be used on a car "up North" from November to April - ehh - I think that he is right and my wife found that out - ouch!!

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
Makey, you know more about tyres than me. I've just always had proxies tbh so dont have anything to compare them to...apart from really shite cheap ones i just to have on my polo valver.

what makes you say theres no point in putting them on? too soft? not grippy enough? quicky wear? expensive?

Basically because in my opinion, the road is not a race track, they are very soft, so they wear really quickly, they deffinately have alot of grip, some have said to me that other tyres actually perform better in the wet, and not too badly priced. But for motorway driving these qualities are not needed, if you do 20-30K a year, you dont want to be putting 3-4 sets of tyres on. Its all down to preferance really and what you can afford :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.