Best tyres??

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
On youtube Tyre Reviews did a review of Goodyear and PS4s etc in 18 inch so may be worth watching that. From memory Goodyear were top and were quite cheap but I may be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Been a good thread to read what shoes we all wear lol, I'm on general altimax sports 235/40/18s and they are great tire my dads mate owns the tire shop and suggested them other some of the brands here, great grip low noise and long life but they are around 110 a corner so not cheap but they do the job.

Reactions: Rich.T

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Been a good thread to read what shoes we all wear lol, I'm on general altimax sports 235/40/18s and they are great tire my dads mate owns the tire shop and suggested them other some of the brands here, great grip low noise and long life but they are around 110 a corner so not cheap but they do the job.
Had those before they are a decent tyre. I think General is massive in America. They do a lot of off road tyres

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Had those before they are a decent tyre. I think General is massive in America. They do a lot of off road tyres
Yeah thats right pal my dad use to use them on his 4x4 he rated them highly, but your right huge in America don't think they are that well know here to be fair but are decent as you said.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I have Cheng Seng Ditch Finder Mk3's on the back of the LCR - Otherwise known as Auto Grip 500.

Some comments

- Suffered badly from wheelspin & torque steer even with non-spirited driving. The traction control kept on saving me on those occassions.
- Poor steering feel during extreme weather conditions
- Awful braking distance. Do not drive fast or you will find out the same as me
- Do good handbrake skids

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have Cheng Seng Ditch Finder Mk3's on the back of the LCR - Otherwise known as Auto Grip 500.

Some comments

- Suffered badly from wheelspin & torque steer even with non-spirited driving. The traction control kept on saving me on those occassions.
- Poor steering feel during extreme weather conditions
- Awful braking distance. Do not drive fast or you will find out the same as me
- Do good handbrake skids
No Grip 500’s

Reactions: Yellow fr

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Blimey! Just read the reviews on them.

If its damp or below 10 degrees C, get the bus.
Fantastic if you like the other side of curbs and hedges.

Glad i didnt go for them then lol.

Reactions: Yellow fr

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Just about to buy a set of tyres for my car.
Choices are.

Toyo Proxy sport or Pirelli P Zero

Any opinions on the 2?

Cheers rich
I’ve had both in the past as above the pzeros are good in the wet but didn’t last very long on mine about 8k and the Toyos lasted longer however were horrible in the wet as soon as you’d come on boost it’ll spin even in 4th on my Ibiza. They were scary to say the least if you drove over standing water on the motorway.

Aug 31, 2020
I'd stay away from the P Zero. They were stock tyres and I was amazed at how much better different tyres were.

Did less than 10K on the Pirelli rubber. Had GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance for about 26K now. Unbelievably low rolling resistance, low noise, excellent in the dry with good wet grip and no noticeable wear rate.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I had Avon ZV7 on the car for a few years and they perished really badly. I wasn't driving the car much (few thousand miles a year) but I was surprised at how bad they were.

Anyone else had trouble with tyres ageing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
That's not going to be a problem I suffer from. When I took my wheels off to detail a couple of days ago I found the fronts were down to ~3mm after about a year and 10,000 miles :oops:. They're Goodyear Efficient Grip and have been brilliant but I might give the Pilot Sport 4 a try when I replace them next month. I guess it comes with having a car with a heavy engine and lots of torque.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I had Avon ZV7 on the car for a few years and they perished really badly. I wasn't driving the car much (few thousand miles a year) but I was surprised at how bad they were.

Anyone else had trouble with tyres ageing?

I see this a lot in my line off work and have noticed that the Avon tyres are bad for the perishing can’t remember replacing a Avon tyre because they where worn out always from the rubber cracking through age
Had to replace two Avon tyres today for the same reason

Reactions: iammooks

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Well, I went with the general consensus of this thread and am having a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's fitted on Wednesday morning. Just hope they last a bit longer than the Goodyear Efficientgrip I have on there at the moment (~11,000 miles) :oops:.

Reactions: Rich.T