Black Leon Cupra R Detail: The Leon Correctional Facility!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
THE LEON CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
-----

Dabossman (john) is unfortunately getting rid of his Cupra R however before he sells it he wants it to look in showroom condition for one lucky new owner. This detail was a 2 man job with my good friend Slick volunteering to help me for the day – slick is also a detailer at heart like me so this cut the time of the detail by a third at the very least. As you can see from the before pictures below, it was a MASSIVE job hence we named this thread the Leon Correctional Facility, where Leon’s go to get well again lol!

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1951.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1955.jpg

DSCF1956.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1960.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

DSCF1965.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DSCF1967.jpg

Taking scope of the job at hand we chose the weapons and jobs we were both going to do.

Products
Wash n Drying
Meguairs NXT Tech Shampoo
Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser
Autosmart Tardis
Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
Valet Pro Snow Foam
Meguairs All Purpose Cleaner
Super Plush drying towel
Chemical Guys and Meguairs microfibres

Body Work
Cleanyourcar fine polyclay
Menzerna Power Finish (203S)
Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Meguairs ScratchX
Meguairs Metal Polish

Glazes, Sealants and Waxes
Poorboys Diamond White
CarLack 68 Pure Sealant
Dodo Juice Red Mist

Plastics, Rubbers and Glass
Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
Tesco Glass Cleaner
WD40

Tools
Meguiars G220 mk2 machine polisher
Karcher Pressure washer
Sonus foam applicators
Menzerna Polish Pad (Orange)
Sonus Green Polishing Pad
Swissvax Detail Brush
Meguiars Wheel Spoke Brush
Vikan Brushes
3M 3434 Masking Tape

It was clear that a stronger cut was needed to refresh the 6 year old paint. I personally am a big fan of 203S as it blends the cut between 3.02RD and 106FA. For me personally and I know some detailers out there believe 203S sits awkwardly in the Menzerna RANGE, it blends all the good points of 3.02 / 106FA. What I wanted to achieve was enough cut to get rid of the swirls and scratches with 2 passes leaving the Dodo to nourish the paint. This was also an opportunity for Slick and I to use products we normally don’t use like ScratchX. I always like ScratchX but there was never an occasion for it to be used. Slick suggested we use it for the door handles, door shuts and small areas that the machine can’t reach. I must say now Slick done an AMAZING job with me that day. He put loads of elbow grease to get the results he did by hand.

WHEELS
Wheels being soaked in Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
DSCF1969.jpg

Bilberry is worked in and scrubbed with Vikan brushes
DSCF1970.jpg

Chemicals pressured washed off
DSCF1974.jpg

CLEAN STAGE
Car was snow foamed with good old Valet Pro and left to soak for 6-7 minutes.
DSCF1978.jpg

Taking no risks with causing even more swirls and scratches the car was then foamed again so the surface was very well lubricated and then washed.
DSCF1980.jpg

Car rinsed off. It was obvious the car had no protection on at all.
DSCF1981.jpg

Claying also gave no surprises
DSCF1988.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Although the car was much cleaner what greeted us was even more scratches/swirls than we previously had seen. Without exaggeration there was a scratch on every single panel of the car. I haven’t uploaded all of them however here are the main ones.

DSCF1990.jpg

DSCF1995.jpg

DSCF1996.jpg

DSCF1997.jpg

DSCF1998.jpg

DSCF1999.jpg

DSCF2000.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
CORRECTION STAGE
203S working well on a single pass.
DSCF2002.jpg

Slick worked wonders with the door handles by hand!
DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2014.jpg

Right arch before
DSCF2008.jpg

Right arch after
DSCF2011.jpg

Right hand side of the car corrected
DSCF2021.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

Rear right arch before
DSCF2028.jpg

Rear right arch after
DSCF2030.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Left door
DSCF2037.jpg

After
DSCF2039.jpg

Boot Before
DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

Boot After
DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2055.jpg

At this point the whole car was corrected with the 1 stage polish. I was pretty pleased with 203S performance thus far. Only 3 panels needed two hits to get the level of correction I was after and some of the scratches got special attention with a third focused pass.

DSCF2058.jpg

DSCF2060.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The paint desperately needed nourishment and a good polish/clean so for the second stage I chose Dodo Juice Lime Prime.

DSCF2062.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

DSCF2064.jpg

DSCF2065.jpg

DSCF2067.jpg

DSCF2068.jpg

INTERIOR
Interior was cleaned with Megs APC and hovered out. Sorry not before pictures but a complete transformation here. Also you got a small glimpse of the door seals and shuts all treated with ScratchX.

DSCF2070.jpg

DSCF2071.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
CARLACK68 PURE SEALANT
No pictures were taking of the application and results of the Poorboys Diamond White which done a great job ob hiding some of the smaller scratches and RDS. With winter coming ever closer and the potential new owner wanting the car to stay looking good (I hope) a pure sealant was needed. CarLack68 pure sealant was applied and left to cure for around an hour.

DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF2074.jpg

EXHAUST

Megs metal Polish doing a job.
DSCF2075.jpg

After
DSCF2076.jpg

RESULTS

With John coming to pick up the car we took some arty pictures of the finished article. The Finishing pictures are with 2 layers of Red Mist added on at the end. Unfortunately no full car body shot not sure how that happened!

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2080.jpg

DSCF2081.jpg

DSCF2082.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2090.jpg

DSCF2092.jpg

DSCF2077.jpg

Big thank you to dabossman (John) for giving me the opportunity to detail his car and get it back to a condition that most people would be happy with. Another big thank you to my partner in crime Slick who helped me in this longer 9 hour day. He literally helped me shave off hours and produce results that would have taken me a second day for sure.

Hope you enjoyed the detail as much as I did, thanks!

Mully

Fezza 1.4 At the moment!
Apr 22, 2008
North East England
jonjay your work amazes me, what i think you should now do too get the forum on their knees would be to eventually detail a leon of every different colour and show what you have used(products wise) on each specific colour, this would also clean up the car care products section on the forums, but again top work

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Nice work again Maz + pal. I'm also a fan of the 203s it produces very good results. How do you find the sealant you used in comparison to Zaino's products ? I also noticed you didnt tape off the lights, was that intentional to give them a polish too ?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
jonjay your work amazes me, what i think you should now do too get the forum on their knees would be to eventually detail a leon of every different colour and show what you have used(products wise) on each specific colour, this would also clean up the car care products section on the forums, but again top work
Thanks for the kind words and nice plan hehe :)

Nice work again Maz + pal. I'm also a fan of the 203s it produces very good results. How do you find the sealant you used in comparison to Zaino's products ? I also noticed you didnt tape off the lights, was that intentional to give them a polish too ?
Cheers mate. Ziano Clear Seal is really really good however I found it just doesn't last as long as the CarLack68 pure sealant so with winter coming wanted a lasting protection. Yea the lights had a quick going over to remove some blemishes and discolouring, they need to be replaced tbh.

203S is really good, hasn't got as long working time as 106FA so in that sense 106FA is a superior product.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Partner in crime here... :D

That car was a job and a half i must admit, but the results where so good for what it started from.

fingertips are still sore from the polishing by hand the door handles! lol

Glad it turned out well, bring on the next one i say! I like a challenge [B)]

dabossman

May 18, 2006
Surrey
LOL would have been to easy if, when i gave it to you, it was in mint condition. As i said wanted you both to work for the money :cartman:

Seriously cant thank you guys enough on a fantastic job you done and anyone thinking for getting it done contact maz as he will do a **** hot job.
Thanks again both of you

Witalik

ROTTERDAM FEYENOORD
Dec 28, 2008
Netherlands
hey very nice job with the body of that LCR !!!

mine also got swirls and some scratches :(

but i can only wax it with the hand, so not much of polishing (never done it and i dont think it is an good idea to start without any expertise...)

but i have a question i see that u wash and polish in the sun ? when i was my car with megiars gold class it dry's up very fast leaving chalk on the body and i can only get it away by pressing very hard en fast with the gold class wax...

you dont have that issue with faoming the car ?? is that easy to do at home ?? without any very expensive purchases ?

i really like to keep my car in mint condition but dont know everything about it then just wash and wax it about three times a month

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
hey very nice job with the body of that LCR !!!

mine also got swirls and some scratches :(

but i can only wax it with the hand, so not much of polishing (never done it and i dont think it is an good idea to start without any expertise...)

but i have a question i see that u wash and polish in the sun ? when i was my car with megiars gold class it dry's up very fast leaving chalk on the body and i can only get it away by pressing very hard en fast with the gold class wax...

you dont have that issue with faoming the car ?? is that easy to do at home ?? without any very expensive purchases ?

i really like to keep my car in mint condition but dont know everything about it then just wash and wax it about three times a month
We actually washed the car in the early morning before the car is hot enough to dry the water and soap. Plus there was two people drying the car at the same time.
I suggest coming from a follow black car owner and detailer wash the car early morning or early evening, when the sun isnt at it hottest. Most products in halfords dont like to be put on a hot car surface (as well as freezing cold too), but there are a few products on the market that doesnt affect as bad, again read up on detailing world your learn alot.
Failing that just come and see me and maz and we can correct it all and protect it for 4-6 months, then all you would need to do it clean it regularly without risk of trying to polish, wax etc. lol long way i know from the netherlands.....[B)]

dj_troopa

Sep 29, 2009
That worked out really nice! Was looking at this one for sale too. New owner must be happy with that. Good work matey.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.