Black smoke on FR TDI Leon

drrn

Hey all.
I have my Fr tdi 150 now with 6 months and love the power and torque from it. However I have noticed everytime I put the foot down in 5th or 6th gear clouds of black smoke can be seen out the back window. Is this normal or am I in trouble.

Jayt

Oct 5, 2007
diesels all puff when you accellerate, if its excessive you might have a problem but if you dont drive it on alot it could just be full of dung and needs a good blatter down the road to clear the pipes if you know what i mean,

FR dagley

Jul 21, 2009
Mansfield
I Have a Fr 130 TDI and recently i had a bit more black smoke than usual i put it down to the fuel i have been filling up at tesco and for a bit it was ok then it started to cough quite a lot.

Now im filling up at a total i will find a garage that does the good stuff one time and see it that has a big difference. I also used millers diesel power additive this has reduced the black smoke too (the power gains a bs tho).
But all diesels puff out black smoke to a certain degree as said above but if your really worried try some millers diesel power sport 4 this claims to reduce black smoke by 70% and cleans injectors so its your best bet and from a thread in this forum most seat diesel drivers do use it so im gonna follow suit.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Use good fuel so it cleans out all the soot deposits from the engine etc...Some Millers SP4 will help to.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Black smoke will be more prominent in the summer months, due to increased intake temperatures.

If it still feels to pull well and is only in 5th and 6th gears, I wouldnt worry.
Its just a case of the air being taken in, isnt dense enough to efficiently burn the fuel, and this becomes more prominent the faster you go. My car used to struggle with intake temps in the summer, to the point it went into limp mode.

Come winter there will be very little there.

Just something that you've got to accept with TDi's

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Does it do it when accelerating off-boost (under 2000 rpm)? If so it's perfectly normal, the car is over-fuelling due to the hot weather. (sorry, Tom has just explained it whilst I was writing this). If smoking on-boost then it may me a leek in the pipework to and from the intercooler.

It may also be a blocked air or fuel filter or even a problem with your MAF.

Last edited:

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
my 1.4 tdi has the same problem when going full throttle, it has been remapped and has a miltek centre exit exhaust, where can i get this miller stuff from? :think:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Youve got a Miltek exhaust for a 1.4TDI? :confused: they dont do one

i take it you mean that the last owner has had a Miltek backbox from summit like a Cupra or VRS modified and welded on?

Last edited:

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
I am yet to get under the car and look at exactly what has been done, got told that it is a miltek centre exit exhaust..... I have been doing a bit of reading today and realise miltek dont do one, my first seat this one....learning lots of from this place though!

FR dagley

Jul 21, 2009
Mansfield
I got mine from halfords but im sure where ever they sell redex they will sell millers diesel power additive. Just put some in the discovery 300 see how that plays out lol.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I am yet to get under the car and look at exactly what has been done, got told that it is a miltek centre exit exhaust..... I have been doing a bit of reading today and realise miltek dont do one, my first seat this one....learning lots of from this place though!

Yeh there is very little parts for the 1.4TDI as i am finding out everything has to be custom made

-SlicK

No smoke, No poke
Nov 23, 2008
Beith, Scotland
my 1.4 tdi has the same problem when going full throttle, it has been remapped and has a miltek centre exit exhaust, where can i get this miller stuff from? :think:

Hello fella :wave:

I see your the new owner of our beeza, hope your enjoying it :D

Anyways, back on topic. We noticed it was very sooty, and went for a run with the EGR valve removed and it did not produce a bit of soot. However the EML came on so we put it back in, im unsure if this causes any issues with the EGR removed, you would have to research this.

Hope that helps :)

Edit:

It has a miltek backbox, but this has been customised by a custom exhaust garage. There is very little room between the spare wheel well and the bumper so it took some amount of work.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Anyways, back on topic. We noticed it was very sooty, and went for a run with the EGR valve removed and it did not produce a bit of soot. However the EML came on so we put it back in, im unsure if this causes any issues with the EGR removed, you would have to research this.

Im having my EGR Valve Removed in next week or so , doing this keeps the manifold temperature down

If you have it removed you need to get the light mapped out ;) alot of the 1.9TDI's have got them removed

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove

Edit:

It has a miltek backbox, but this has been customised by a custom exhaust garage. There is very little room between the spare wheel well and the bumper so it took some amount of work.

Ah Ha it is all becoming clear, trust the garage to fob me off with it is a "characteristic" pah its modded thats what! I do love it just worried about it burning too much if you know what I mean, plus it means cleaning the little beeza every day lol

Anyways I am going to give it flush out and run it on v power or similar to see if that offers any results, i may be new but i am not going to shy away from sorting more on the car, spent most of the day at work on the net looking at bits and bobs for it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.