blue smoke

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
had my car mot today, passed with everything but was advised blue smoke on start up an tick over, not sure what problem is guy at testing centre said could be piston rings or turbo, car doesnt feel slow or nothing, had it serviced in jan an due next service soon, since service have had to add oil once an that was only other week, my question is would the smoke be caused by not having a cat fitted? i no adding oil once in 10k isnt that bad, before i go ahead an buy new turbo how can i check to see what problem could be or is a little blue smoke not really bad. also inside exhaist its all coated in black soot this is normal isnt it,

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
no cat no filter mate,yes a little smoke will be seen on start up ,if the lcr is running nice dont worry.
sometimes when they are stone cold it is possible to get a little bit of smoke.....

keep an eye on it,if your real worried get a mate to follow you down the road,and watch you every time you chnage gear just in case piston rings or turbo is playing up..

cheers

drue1

May 27, 2009
kent
White smoke is turbo And Blue smoke is piston ring or valve seals.i would get it checked out before you do more damage just to be safe than sorry;)

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
When my turbo, piston rings and bores gave up the ghoust I had white smoke on tickover and start up. I doubt it has anything to do with decat as I never had this when mine was on car. 2 questions tho 1. Does the smoke drop to ground level or raise into sky (like in winter with warm engine) 2. Dont take it wrong way mate but did you put too much oil in when you topped up

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
i never filled over amount. I think only smokes when start up. Most my driving is motorway. If i give it some revs don't get smoke. So i'm guessing a little smoke is ok. 1litre of oil over 10k can't be that bad can it. Wouldn't piston rings an valve seals smoke all the time. Boost is ok an doesn't feel slow or nothin. Just when mot guy said should get checked out its got me worrying :(

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
It didn't on mine when driving off it stopped but as soon as I stopped it started. It looked like someone had set off a smoke bomb:cartman:. It could be some oil leaking onto the exhaust, or oil still on turbo from when it was last driven. I take it you leave it ticking over for couple of mins after driving. Other than that mate all I can suggest is give Shaun at AmDEssex a call.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
The valve seals will allow oil to drain down into the cylinder of an open valve or puddle on the top side of the valve if it's closed - then at start-up that oil gets burned and exits as a cloud of blue smoke. This is you've guessed is at start-up.

Consistent smoking is usually a sign of ring wear.

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
have you checked all rubber hoses that come from sump and rocker cover.i had to change pipes as rotted from years of oil,and split.until change i had bluesmoke when i set off after sitting running engine ,revved and cloud....changed pipes cleaned all connections and hey no more smoke or smell of hot oil.......check all pipes first before thinking turbo/engine you might be as lucky as me and cure with new pipes

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
have you checked all rubber hoses that come from sump and rocker cover.i had to change pipes as rotted from years of oil,and split.until change i had bluesmoke when i set off after sitting running engine ,revved and cloud....changed pipes cleaned all connections and hey no more smoke or smell of hot oil.......check all pipes first before thinking turbo/engine you might be as lucky as me and cure with new pipes

mine has started to smoke more, spoke to a mechanic at garage an said will be either valve stem seals or this hose your speaking about, performance hasnt changed its only when pulling off or on tickover i get the smoke, been told to run the engine for 20 mins on tickover an check plugs an if black will indicate its stem seals,

how long take to change these an you got a part number mate? thankyou

also wouldnt a compression test show this?

im thinking of fixing myself if stem seals as been quoted 550 plus vat :(

looks like hybrid may have to wait,

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
as i had said earlier this is probabley the crank breather and rocker breather pipes,don,t have part number but if feels soft or split hey presto theres your culprit...i managed to get new ones off a scrapped 55 plate,not easy to fit as old oil leaked from split pipe........easy test is to check after engine has hot after run and pop bonnet and see if you can smell burnt old oil around engine,this is how i found my problem,another could also be the fuel you are running....fill up a couple of times with vpower and give engine a good run ,as sainsburys petrol for mine found to smoke white on hard revs,cured after fuel filter change and two tanks of vpower.......these problems are hard to trace but don,t think the worse yet,plenty to try before major overhaul

s4oopie

Boost Junkie
Jul 9, 2009
the car wash ;)
turbo will hold a small amount of oil and as mentioned above the valves could catch a small amount of oil .. with a cat and standard exhaust the baffles will take the oil and burn it off slowly
with out the cat it will just be thrown out the back ... if its not thick blue or thick white and the power hasnt been affected i wouldnt worry buddy

Snoop[B)]

bo!

Oct 12, 2012
Really old thread.but did you get to the bottom of the smoking issue .???

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members