blue smoke

tigers_eye_69uk

hi from the newbie,
was driving motorway last night at 70mph and just for about 30 sec had some blue smoke coming out back of the car, its a 1.4 16v sport non turbo petrol, any ideas on what this could be, ive searched but can only find turbo problems, oil is fine and so is coolant
thanks in advance:confused:

tigers_eye_69uk

hey well the oil light came on a few weeks ago and i topped it up! so maybe i hav put too much in will check it out . . . sum1 told me the head gasketcould be on it's way out ? but am no sure . .

Tricky Red

Jan 16, 2007
Head gasket failure will cause steam from the exhaust, therefore white plumes, not blue smoke.

Blue smoke is normally oil burning so check for overfill. Only about 3/4 litre to a litre will fill from below min to max.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Head gasket failure will cause steam from the exhaust, therefore white plumes, not blue smoke.

That Is not the only symptom of a head gasket failure.

The head gasket separates the compression from each of the cylinders, seals the water ways and seals the oil ways.

So you can get oil leaking into the water, water leaking into the oil, compression leaking into the water system, compression leaking into the oil system, compression leaking from one cylinder to another, oil leaking into the cylinders, water leaking into the cylinders and probably a few other combinations that I haven't mentioned along with combinations of 2,3,4 or more of the above.

There are also a number of other ways that the engine can burn oil and make blue smoke, depending on if it does it on tick over or full throttle.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.