Blueflame Decat low down torque..LCR

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
ok im interested in knowing from LCR owners with a blueflame decat or any decat come to think about it, if the low down torque is affected. i have done some research and the only gains you will normally see will be more top end power with alot more noise, which then compromises the torque in 2nd and 3rd.
is this true?...i want to get a full system but as blueflames are now £795, they used to be £585...a decat is £660 which is a hell of a lot cheaper. now i have my new flat i have to keep my car mods to a minimum.
i dont mind the extra noise of a decat but i dont want all the torque at the top end...

any ideas?

B3LSY

My torque with the d cat is from start to finish,its unreal mate you need to come for a spin

B3LSY

ive still got the sensor in my dcat its a supersprint which has the holes there for it,seems fine

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Generally speaking, the added back-pressure generated by the cat should keep your torque figure higher at lower revs than if there was no cat there at all. This is circumvented by the decat allowing boost to come in earlier so you shouldn't really feel a low down loss, quite the opposite, even though there might be a "paper loss" on low down torque.

I wouldn't blinker myself to just one manufacturer. A decat is nothing more than a length of steel pipe. Any custom exhaust centre should be able to make one up for you, sometimes at less than half the cost of a "big name" manufacturer. I'd also consider the merits of a sports cat, even if its not a Milltek, Supersprint or Blueflame. There are many companies producing them and you can be sure that none of the aforementioned companies actually manufacture their own cats. It will save you messing around refitting parts of your exhaust just to be able to pass an MOT.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Generally speaking, the added back-pressure generated by the cat should keep your torque figure higher at lower revs than if there was no cat there at all. This is circumvented by the decat allowing boost to come in earlier so you shouldn't really feel a low down loss, quite the opposite, even though there might be a "paper loss" on low down torque.

this was what i thought, as a few people i know said they noticed a slight difference in the torque but was made up by the earlier boost.
so talk to me like im a idiot, a decat will give earlier boost than even a 200 cell cat and feel more lively at the top end too, whereas a sports cat is torquer at low speed, less noisey but not as powerfull at the top end?

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
this was what i thought, as a few people i know said they noticed a slight difference in the torque but was made up by the earlier boost.
so talk to me like im a idiot, a decat will give earlier boost than even a 200 cell cat and feel more lively at the top end too, whereas a sports cat is torquer at low speed, less noisey but not as powerfull at the top end?

Spot on Bret :) Sports cat will retain low end torque better but this is noticed on paper only, it makes no difference on the road. Another point worth considering is that a decat will significantly reduce Exhaust manifold and exhaust gas temperature due to lower resistance.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.