Bonnet insulation / sound absorption

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I notice that my eHybrid doesn't have a sound insulation mat fixed to the underside of the bonnet. Is there any particular reason for it not having one to anyone's knowledge? I realise the 1.4 tsi is very quite when running under normal conditions but it does get a bit noisy when accelerating hard. Thought it may worth fitting one to make a very quiet car even quieter.

Reactions: arizla

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
That's weird. My 1.4 hybrid has one o_O albeit a small one.
Is yours the VZ (245) or the non-VZ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220503_183943_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220503_183943_HDR.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 252

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
It would appear so! Good news is the mat already exists for an easy upgrade. Wonder what it'll cost

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Arrived this morning and took me no more than 5 minutes to fit. Not likely to be using the ICE before Monday so will report back on sound levels then.
20220701_114453.jpg

Reactions: Doogle

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
One of the first thing I remove from my cars, excess weight, and holds heat in, if the engine too loud, turn up the stereo?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
One of the first thing I remove from my cars, excess weight, and holds heat in, if the engine too loud, turn up the stereo?
“Excess weight” jeez how heavy are they?🤣
Must be less than 1kg :ROFLMAO:
Ahh well looks like mine won’t have one then, tbh martinj. Might have a point regarding heat dissipation
I really can't see that heat dissipation in the VZ being any different to our V2's. Similar if not the same engine on the 245 Hybrid VZ2 isn't it? The others are bigger lumps so potentially more heat and they have the insulation fitted :sneaky:
Anyway, to me the car looks unfinished without it, even if it doesn't really do that much. You decide 🤔
20220627_104017.jpg 20220701_114500.jpg

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Must be less than 1kg :ROFLMAO:

I really can't see that heat dissipation in the VZ being any different to our V2's. Similar if not the same engine on the 245 Hybrid VZ2 isn't it? The others are bigger lumps so potentially more heat and they have the insulation fitted :sneaky:
Anyway, to me the car looks unfinished without it, even if it doesn't really do that much. You decide 🤔
View attachment 32649 View attachment 32650
No I agree a big empty space that needs filling, weather we have I doubt heat’ll be that big an issue🥴

Reactions: oldgitdave

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Obviously I'm just guessing, but they may put it on the VZ 310's as those turbos produce a lot of heat and maybe it was affecting the bonnet paintwork.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
If an engine has heat issues because of bonnet padding, then I think it has other problems. There should be convection to such a high degree that it shouldn't matter at all.

Insulation to protect the bonnet is a much more relevant point when talking heat.

The primary role is no doubt soundproofing.

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
If an engine has heat issues because of bonnet padding, then I think it has other problems. There should be convection to such a high degree that it shouldn't matter at all.

Insulation to protect the bonnet is a much more relevant point when talking heat.

The primary role is no doubt soundproofing.
If you drive faster, you will increase the airflow into the engine compartment. No more heat problems.

• Haha
Reactions: Ninjakebab

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Let us know if you hear any audible difference?
Well, first journey since fitting the sound absorber today with the ICE running. A motorway run down the M1 and I can honestly report that I noticed no noise difference whatsoever :ROFLMAO:. I don't think my hearing is as acute as it used to be though, spending all my working life developing and testing jet engines :p. Ah well I still think it was a worthwhile buy at the price and, as said before, it looks much better under the bonnet with it fitted.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.