boost leak testing

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
guys anyone ever diy tested for boost leaks, not seen many posts on here for diy, and not that many products out there...

seen this one, seems expensive ish, but i gotta test as i think i may have a leak somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boost-Leak-Te...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca9588c6a

anyone any advice or other ways to test for leaks

from this it says connect directly to turbo, but i guess connect to tip removing maf would be the ideal way, undo oil cap and listen>>

only other way ive thought is to bung the maf end and use a nipple into the n75 inlet on the tip??

advice needed please?

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I think the only way is what you said before james, bung the TIP and put an old tyre valve into the n75 hole and pressurise and then listen for any hissing, i am always getting the boost leak code so i will probably do the same.

Paul D

I made a similar piece of kit up when i was testing a previous car after I installed a turbo conversion. Not seen the N75 method in action but sounds a decent way to do it. Use a strong mix of washing up liquid/water, and be generous, use a paint brush so you can brush it around all the cracks and joints. It will bubble wherever their is a leak.

Be warned it makes a bit of a mess though!

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
we have a smoke pressure tester, it pressurises the full system, then inserts smoke, this way you find the smallest of leaks

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
im thinking to bung the tip making a 70mm bung and inserting some sort of valve into it to make the tester, or as said, bung the tip totally and insrt a valve through the n75 at 10-12psi and listen, using a tyre compressor of some sorts. not sure how hard itl be to listen though with the noise of the tyre compressor.

silly question but this can be done with the engine off cant it, as itl be nye on impossible to hear with it running??

Paul D

Engine must be off, use a hand pump, or turn the thing off - besides, if you use the washing up liquid mix you won't need to hear it - their will be big bubbles forming!

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
thoguht itd have to be off, thats good then. not using wash up mix.

going to make a 70mm bung, add a tyre valve and go through a tyre compressor charge to 10psi and listen that way. if not then ill bike pump it if the compressor is too loud. i may coat in liquid aswell to make life easier.

looking through various forums and theres some right ingenious mock ups of leak testers.

i have a spare tip at home so can mock up using that to get it right. either that or try going trough n75 opening.

Paul D

If you do it that way the compressor noise shouldn't be a problem, once theirs some pressure in their switch it off and listen, when the pressure starts to drop off then pump it up again. So long as the leaks are fairly it should hold pressure for a few minutes easily.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Ive not tried this but this is what i remember from the method ive heard off. get something hard that fits in the the TIP ie a bean can (once the air box is removed). Cut the bottom off the bean can. Make a hole in the still capped end for a compressor air line adapter. Attach the air hose from compressor and add turn the compressor on add pressure to the system upto no more than boost psi. If the psi of the compressor drops or hisses out you know youve got a leak. I think i read this on ukmkivs.net

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yeah, ive borrowed a inflatable air bed compressor, the nib fits in the n75 end just fine, ill try this way first, if no success ill go the tip route and fabricate a blank plate with a line in for air.

L30N DG

theres a vid on youtube of a guy doing a boost leak check i cant post urls so search for
How to Boost Leak Test On an Audi A4 1.8T - DFCustoms
when he does the check he removes what i think is the PRV pressure regulator valve and bungs up the hole i dont know why he does this? but you may need to remove the PRV for the check to work or even so you dont break anything just a heads up for you to look into before you do the boost leak check

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.