Boot Jammed Shut? Heres how to open it....

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Forget removing the plastics inside. Here's how to do it with the key.

The boot lock only works via central locking when in the VERTICAL position. So get the key vertical when in the lock. Turn it all the way clockwise. Then All the way back anti clockwise, which will be past the vertical. Not turn it back clockwise to vertical. Remove the key and hey presto, open the boot.

It actually says how to do it in the manual thing. lol.

Mine has been shut for over two months coz i couldnt be arsed to do it.

Xpist

my boot has been locked shut recently. thanks for the advice

ps i think i am the only person with a seat ibiza cupra 20vt in cyprus, its just been shiped over. it very good to be reunited with it as its fast and no one knows its fast.

darrenh

...soon to have new shoes
Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
That one didn't work for me - but for some reason, what DID work was holding the handle open - locking it, unlocking it...

hey presto - boot now opens.

Might not work for all, but worth a try for others.

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Thought Id add this to the thread, My boot was jammed shut for like 8 months-never could be arsed to take it the garage as they said it would be £40 (at least) for diagnostics. I heard that they charged my mate £148 to get this fixed because they said it needed a new solanoid???? Really???

This is what was wrong with mine.....
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/M47NER/new.jpg

The small plastic elbow joint (arrow 1) came of the metal bar (arrow 2) as the plastic elbow has a thread in that worn away, all that i did was glued it back on, easy.....apart from takin the plastic cover of the boot-that annoyed me [:@] lol,

Now ya jus wonder if you took it VDub would they have charged me £148?

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Thought Id add this to the thread, My boot was jammed shut for like 8 months-never could be arsed to take it the garage as they said it would be £40 (at least) for diagnostics. I heard that they charged my mate £148 to get this fixed because they said it needed a new solanoid???? Really???

The small plastic elbow joint (arrow 1) came of the metal bar (arrow 2) as the plastic elbow has a thread in that worn away, all that i did was glued it back on, easy.....apart from takin the plastic cover of the boot-that annoyed me [:@] lol,

Same happened to mate after time the plastic thread wore down so after a bit of glue its sorted

sixsr

Jun 18, 2006

I've now got the same problem, do you know if its possible to replace this faulty plastic joint?

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
yet again thanks phil!

just did it on mine, any reason as to why they get stuck?

my batterys been off for 48 hours thought it was that

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
I've now got the same problem, do you know if its possible to replace this faulty plastic joint?

Yes there is a part number on the clip mate just give the dealer a ring an they'l sort u out.

This is the most common fault ive found with the boot being jammed shut as its the thread on that clip that strips so no matter what you do with the key it will not open. Ive had this on both my cupra and my old 1.4s

Last edited:

johnnyp

tried this with the key worked brilliant unfortunately i had already removed some plastic bits which took longer to put back than to get in the boot, many thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.