Boot light and interior light timer

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Never noticed before but the boot light only stays on for about 20 seconds after opening

Is this normal?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that the boot light should only switch on if the boot is opened, and even then, it will switch off again after 30 minutes or some other time to conserve battery power - just like all the other interior light do if a door is left open. Even if you manually switch on an interior light it should get switched off either after 30 minutes or so if the door is shut and car is left unlocked - ie in your garage, or it will get switched off when the doors are locked up with central locking.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
i havent got one either , i bet there a simple mod to fit tho?

It's quite possible to fit one. I've had all the parts for months but never got round to doing it!

You just need the bulb and plastic holder, wires, plug and a different plastic bit of trim (that the parcel shelf sits on).

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Just to resurect an old post

Had the car doors open tonight whilst I was looking for my ice scraper and after about 20 seconds the interior light went off leaving me in pitch black.

I'm sure this shouldn't happen

Would someone mind checking their's please when its convenient

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Just to resurect an old post

Had the car doors open tonight whilst I was looking for my ice scraper and after about 20 seconds the interior light went off leaving me in pitch black.

I'm sure this shouldn't happen

Would someone mind checking their's please when its convenient

That shouldn't happen. It's timed when you unlock the car, light comes on, you get in and then it goes off again after probably 20 seconds, but when the doors are open there's no limit. Maybe check the mechanism that activates the light? :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That shouldn't happen. It's timed when you unlock the car, light comes on, you get in and then it goes off again after probably 20 seconds, but when the doors are open there's no limit. Maybe check the mechanism that activates the light? :)

Sorry to disagree but you are almost correct - all these interior lights are fed from a supply that "goes to sleep" after something like 30 minutes - but will get re-awakened if another say, door was opened. Its maybe not the correct time of year to check this out!!

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
was heating up the car this evenin for a while before getting in it and can confirm that the interior light still goes off after a while even if a door is open, whereas the boot one doesn't seem to

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Ok thanks guys

Not sure what to make of it :confused:

Not even enough time to get one bag of shopping out of the boot before the light goes off

(Thats what my wife told me :redface:)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ok thanks guys

Not sure what to make of it :confused:

Not even enough time to get one bag of shopping out of the boot before the light goes off

(Thats what my wife told me :redface:)

Right, just one more thought, when I get out of my Passat and close the driver's door, then open the boot, the boot light comes on but flickers a short time later, presumably when the interior lights have switched off, but after the flicker it stays on again and as I have said, I'd expect it to stay on for the next 30 minutes until its power source goes to sleep - as I explained in my previous posting. One question though, and I've forgotten if you've already given an answer to this, if you leave a side door open does the boot light come on and stay on until shorly after the last side door is shut?

Edit, ah, I've just re-read your later posting and see that this "disease" has spread to all the interior lights - sound like a convenience-comfort module problem - any sign of water leaking into the front area of the car - just a shot in the dark (like 1+1 = 2 or 11 etc!)

Last edited:

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
Thanks for the reply

No signs of any leaks

Think I'll try the dealer before my Seat used car warranty runs out in January

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for the reply

No signs of any leaks

Think I'll try the dealer before my Seat used car warranty runs out in January

Certainly do as this could be costly to fix outside warranty - especially if it needs a new CCM (I don't know the price though - but I'd reckon a sharp intake of breath and a seat would be provided before telling you!).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.