BPM's Supercopa....the work begins!

Ash-Supercopa

I came down to watch you guys in the late avo, looked very impressive :) keeping up with alot of more expensive machinery. I was going to come and say hello but things in your garage looked very manic!!

Don’t let that put you off.

You would have been welcomed.

Our times improved throughout the day, starting at a very slow 1:25, our fastest in the Clio being a 1:21.

Owen warmed to the car faster than I did, he was at several points in the day 2 seconds quicker than me. He is a smoother driver than me, I am practising. We have data and in car video, we use it to help each other.

I had terribly red flag, session stopped issues, it was frustrating to say the least but....

Owen got a 1:16.9, I then started to get the hang of it, did a string of high 1:17s, then I got a 1:17.07 and guess what, on a faster lap, damned red flag again.

We were both shattered, but elated. Pleased with the times considering it was our first outing, we know the car is capable of 1:13s for a qualifying lap, we have a lot to learn, but I am sure we will get there.

Don't forget, we race at Snetterton on the 24th, running order is, these are approximate times:-

9am, 1 hour practice

10:30, 1 hour quali

12:30ish, 30 mins warm up

1:50, 4 hour race.

Hope to see some of you at the race.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Don't worry mate, it's always like that !
We racing there on the 24th, so pop down if you're about :)

Unfortunately I'm in Germany at the Nurburgring from 20th-26th so won't be about; I may well come to another circuit to watch in the future though:)

obes

Jun 7, 2010
Northampton
www.bpmracing.co.uk
With apologies for the delay, here's a couple of pics of the bonnet gas struts as requested.

We'll be making modifications here as we're going to change to a quick removable bonnet held by 4 quick release pins. This means that for night stints, we can mount the lights to a spare bonnet and change it in a few seconds :)
strut1.jpg

strut2.jpg

obes

Jun 7, 2010
Northampton
www.bpmracing.co.uk
Update as 15.07.10.

With the car up on it's elephant feet, we can get to everything we need!
elefeet.jpg

The floor comes off in 3 bits - here's the front splitter
frontfloor.jpg

and here's the middle section
midfloor.jpg

With the floor off, it's pretty easy to drop the tank
carair.jpg

We've added the extra fill and vent we need to connect the saver cell.
maintank.jpg

With the main tank back in the car, the extra feed connection sits directly below the outlet on the saver cell
newcell.jpg

The cell has to be mounted in an aluminium case (as in the pic) which will be bolted over what was the spare wheel well. To avoid any extra pumps (that might potentially fail), the saver cell will gravity feed the main tank.

So far so good !
next up - get the ally brackets made up and welded to the tank case and get it fixed in the car.

Then it's time to plumb up all the dry break refuelling - we're mounting a carbon fibre plate in the rear right door window area to hold the fuel receiver and vent connection.
We'll cut a hole in the actual window (it's plastic on these) to access the refuelling without opening the door :)

Also arriving tomorrow should be the new pit-to-car radio system and the DL1 logger.
We use the seat's own logger, but we have to have a DL1 for the Britcar regs!

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
With apologies for the delay, here's a couple of pics of the bonnet gas struts as requested.

We'll be making modifications here as we're going to change to a quick removable bonnet held by 4 quick release pins. This means that for night stints, we can mount the lights to a spare bonnet and change it in a few seconds :)
strut1.jpg

strut2.jpg

I take it the The Struts need a plate welding at the top of the strut to fasten to?

obes

Jun 7, 2010
Northampton
www.bpmracing.co.uk
Looks like we're all but ready for Race 1 tomorrow :)

Pit to car radio system now fitted:
radio.jpg

we had to add an adaptor ring to the steering wheel to get the push-to-talk button in the right place.
radiobutton.jpg

The camera system is in too;
Front one looks out from the mirror
frontcamera.jpg

The middle one driver watches from the roll cage
midcamera.jpg

and the rear one points out where the rear wiper would be :)
rearcamera.jpg

The controller box for the camera and the recording unit itself are mounted with the data logger on the dash. Makes it easy to swap cards at pit-stops :)
dl1anddrivedata.jpg

We're off to load up now....Snetterton and the first race here we come!!:funk:

Ash-Supercopa

The day was treated as a test day, good job, we had a lot to learn. Many stops to check the car over, change pads, tyres, check fluids etc.
The setup was unusual for us, the car wonders all over the road on the straights but boy, does it corner.
Corum is flat in 5th, completely flat. The car just sticks.
Owen started, after 20 mins he started to feel ill, this got progressively worse, he was almost sick. An impromptu pit stop and I got is to do 1 hour and 30 mins. This was not in the plan.
I set about learning how to finally race and overtake cars.
I had an off at Bomb hole, caused by oil from a Fezza, it had blown up and was in flames at the side of the track.
Anyway, at least we finished with a whole lot more knowledge.
Roll on Rockingham, 28th August.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.