Brake fluid dot 4 question

snipaz

Jun 17, 2006
Just baught some brake fluid ( coz i cant be arsed to walk back there ) and the dude said i wouldnt be able to use it if my car has ESP as it needs special fluid??

Ive got a Mk3 Ibiza cupra and does it have ESP? lol, i know i should know this but im not technical or anything so i dont know! lol, its a 2001 Y reg and i have some some synthetic based SAE J-1703 dot 4 Brake fluid

do i have the right one or do i need something else....do i have ESP? :) :D

cheers!!

i know im a dunce :redface:

Ibiza Cupra

I think thats another term for traction control aint it?????

snipaz

Jun 17, 2006
ok, but why would that effect what brake fluid i put in it?.....and what 'special' brake fluid is he on about....im stumped! :cry:

snipaz

Jun 17, 2006
seems i have a habit of asking questions no one seems to know about? lol....can anyone help on this matter? :)

snipaz

Jun 17, 2006
My Focus has ESP and it uses dot 4.

Your car doesn't have ESP and will take dot 4.

cheers tom wicked :) just what i needed to know , now i can go fill her up to stop the irritating beep beep beep :D

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
ESP - Electronic Stabiltiy Programme and yes the ibiza cupras have em - if your not sure toe it round a roundabout full lock and if u can feel the back end of the car feeling like its pushing in the direction your turnin or u can feel power being reduced on one side of the car then yes u have ESP

Ibiza Cupra

I thought we had it. It's basically because of the fluid can corrode / ruin your sensors i think so has to be dot4.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
So if the Ibiza did have ESP, why didn't they promote it? My mum used to have one, and it always broke away from me. Are you sure you don't have an import? ESP cuts power to the front wheels and brakes independantly to control a potential slide. Your TCS light will flash when its doing this.

According to ETKA, if you have ESP, you have a button for it saying ESP.

Also, the only time you get brake fluid on a sensor is in some freak accident where your flexi hose has split and your hub has been ripped apart. They're speed rings behind the hub.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you can get the back end out with ESP quite easily

But there's definately never been a mk3 with it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.