Brake light wont work but does when fogs are on?!

immersion

Auto emoción
Nov 1, 2008
Ireland
Hi i noticed today my left brake light was gone today so i changed the bulb and tried again no joy! but when i put the fogs on its lights up no problem! anybody any ideas i had a quick glance at the fuses all seem fine dont no what number it is thow

Thanks,
immersion.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
First thing, are you sure that you are fitting the correct type of bulb? Also are all the other bulbs in this cluster the correct type. If they are all okay then it will probably be an earth problem with that cluster. One thing, with the rear fogs on, do both sides light up with the same brightness - if not it will be an earthing problem.

bertrum

The rear fog light is only a fog light and doesn't come on with sidelights/brakelights!

immersion

Auto emoción
Nov 1, 2008
Ireland
Apoligies its the rear brake light they all come one when my headlights are on as normal but the bulb doesnt light up brighter just switches off other on gets brighter as it should when brake is pressed.

getting confused with my old mrk3 :happy:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Dodgy earth on the light cluster in question. remove the cluster then Check all the little bulb contacts and bend them to make them press harder onto the solder blobs on the bottom of the bulbs. clean all the contacts with wire wool and check the plug/socket for the bulb cluster and clean that with wire wool too.

gruffs

Dec 18, 2007
I had a similar problem where my Brake lights were always on but got brighter when i used them. My O/S sideleights were also always on.

The problem turned out to be the brake switch for the foot pedal.

Apparently these are delicate and fiddly to change but relatively cheap. IIRC, the guy charged me £12.50 to do it.

immersion

Auto emoción
Nov 1, 2008
Ireland
I had a similar problem where my Brake lights were always on but got brighter when i used them. My O/S sideleights were also always on.

The problem turned out to be the brake switch for the foot pedal.

Apparently these are delicate and fiddly to change but relatively cheap. IIRC, the guy charged me £12.50 to do it.

I am going to take everything apart the weekend and check there is a massive squeak when i brake but its not from the brakes or discs i think i may be the brake box and brake switch its like someones getting it on type of:happy: squeak!

gruffs

Dec 18, 2007
That'll just be a seal. Old Vauxhalls did it all the time. Bit of white gress on the pedal linkages should sort that.