Brakes- This Time Technical

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Chaps,

As far as I know I have standard discs on the front of my LCR and they are a little worn but not as much as they need to be replaced.

Recently I bought a set of Galfer pads as the old ones were worn and were squeeking like mad. Now, when my mechanic was replacing the pads I noticed he did not use any copper slip to grease the back of the pads, when I asked why he showed me the back of the new pads and said their was no need as pads nowadays have this already built in, OK I said. Upon inspection he showed me the pads and said that he could tell these new pads have this kind of black acrylic type stuff on them ans so belived him.

However, even though the pads are new the squeeks is still there and if anything even worse now.

Now guys, do you think he should have greased the back of the pads?, Also do the Galfers have this stuff on the pads already and dont need greasing?
The thing is, I dont know what to do now cos I have asked him to grease the back of the pads and he said he dont mind doing it but the fact remains they will stop squeeking for a while and then start squeeking again. He has also said the pads are not matched to the disc so this is bound to happen. I cannot quite get to grips with that cos surely people dont change discs everytime the pads wear out.

In a nutshell, I have the non-greased galfers on my car which squeek like a bus, so is my mechanic chatting 5hit? and the pads should have been greased even though he reckons the pads come with that black stuff on the back already or could it be the back brakes causing this or what?? HELP please I hat emy car right now and it is very un-cool driving round with squeeky brakes.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
he's right in that the resonance of a pad can cause the squeel, putting copper clip on the back will only be a short term measure if it works at all, there are special tapes you can buy to do the same job also

or it could be the pad compound is quite aggressive and is scratching the disc also

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
good old Galfer pads again. :doh:

and I've read elsewhere that Leda are closing down, who were importing them? (are they still?)

kwan88

Jan 18, 2003
Slough
Visit site
Don't drive with Galfer pads, put them into my LCR it left groves all along the disc!! Because of this the disc is also setting to warp.

There are lots of thread regarding Galfer pads. Take them off quickly or else you need new disc and pads in the next few months.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.