Broken spring :( pic!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Yea its getting fixed ASAP, its taken priority over new tyres for the moment, maybe a week or 2 anyway! not yet on the markers so ok for a few hundered more miles I reckon!

Close though MATT RILEY ... 1.9TDi Sport 130 2004

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Just replaced my 3rd a few weeks ago! Spring £50.00 top mount bearing £11.00 lopsided car priceless.;)

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
hmm tbh i dont think it will be the spring, i think its the absorber, as the car isnt sitting any differently just knocking alot, which isnt the bush as far as i know, i was warned when i lowered it that the standard shocks wouldnt last, maybe its time.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
They don't always go lopsided when a spring breaks, my wife's Polo down straight down with one spring broken at mid point and squeezed inside the other half (still is as it lies in garage 2+ years later - sort of a trophy!!

When the O/S spring broke in my wife's Polo 2002, I lifted the bonnet to see if I could find out much before changing into garage clothes - then I worked out that the front was sitting very very low!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Looking into my cystal ball ........ thats a 1.9 TDI ibiza on a 02/52 plate?

Engine size/weight seems to be mainly irrelevant, but the age is, and now it seems that most of the 2002 and 2003 cars have failed already, and as my wife's Polo (2002) failed two years ago, its probaly just the time for the 2004 cars to have this problem.

Hint, keep these new springs clean and paint over any rusting areas a.s.a.p. My crack>tear>break happened at a point where the paint had rusted off quite some time before - and I didn't think about keeping paint on them. Spring material will always be high(ish) carbon content so if exposed to wet and salty air, it will just love to rust away and create pitted weak points quickly.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Right its sorted now!

In the end... It was 2x springs 1x top mount which were needed that all!! :)

Still an unnecessary cost mind you but glad its back and the perks of owning a car!

Thanks for everyone's help its much appreciated!!

-Stu

CDJONES3495

Mine went the other day driving it i went in a dip in the road and there was a massive bang and i
couldn't turn left i thought my wheel had come off. But the worse thing is you can't just change 1 front
spring you have to change the pair of them which is an extra cost. But luckily the strut top bushs were fine.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
ah im sorry to hear :(

It was such a pain really thats all, not to mention an unexpected expense grr ! Perks of owning a car so thats life :)

You dont HAVE to change both springs though, its highly advised. My other one was looking weak tbh so changed both anyway :)

Lucky you didnt get to change your top mount like i did :(

-Stu

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd be very surprised if the top bearing was not worth replacing - it makes no sense to leave the old one in as they are not very well protected so start to run rough after a few years have passed - they don't cost much so why risk re-using them when the car is in bits!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
well mine definatly needed replacing as im still finding little shiny metal balls on the driveway today :) lol

CDJONES3495

I'd be very surprised if the top bearing was not worth replacing - it makes no sense to leave the old one in as they are not very well protected so start to run rough after a few years have passed - they don't cost much so why risk re-using them when the car is in bits!

I didn't change them cause they were change about about 6 moths ago when i put a slightly stiffer shocker on. So they were still fine :D thank god. Cause that would of been even more expence that i could of done without as i was actually on my way to buy a miltek when it happened. Atleast it happened on the way and not on the way back cause then i wouldn't of had the money to sort it Ha Ha HA.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.