Broken spring :( pic!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Hey, have been posting this weekend looking for tyre advice and also what could be wrong with my front suspension as the knocking and clucking was getting worse then got much worse!

Got it up, had a quick look and didnt take long to see what was wrong....

20566_254916294235_501274235_3055898_367155_n.jpg

New spring + shock ? Anything else needs sorted from the pic? Any ideas how much it will cost me?!

What a lovely start to next week!

-Stu

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
not sure how it happened :( but there are some nasty holes in roads from snow and ice! Could have happened any time yest or fri. ↲↲↲Top mount looks ok, as in it looks fine from under the bonnet. Can only see the mess from under the arch. Sad times :-(↲↲Any ideas on cost?↲↲Cheers↲-Stu

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Not sure on cost I would guess maybe £100 including fitting at dealer perhaps.

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
My old Ibiza did this, seems the combination of salty roads and massive potholes causes em to go eventually.

I did mine myself, £50 for new springs and fitted in a day.

Rear springs are a piece of cake, fronts are harder though. Also make sure the wire going to your ABS sensor is ok, as its very close by!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
I did the safe thing I feel and just left it on the driveway when i found the problem....? lol

Will drive it 2 miles (slowly and on flat bits) to the garage soon!

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
not implying anything -- kill yourself by all means- just don't take anyone with you, if you think it's clever to drive with a broken spring YOU'RE an IDIOT clear enough?

well not alot i can do condiering im not at home due to a burst pipe and flooding, so keep your opinions to yourself mate, i got more to be worrying about than a POSSIBLE spring or absorber problem, and for ur info my bro is an ex fully trained seat mechanic and hes had a quick look at it and said it will be fine for a matter of a week or so till he can get a sapre minute to put our other problems aside and get it on a ramp. im not using the car alot just now anyways. not looking for an arguement just think about wat ur saying b4 u say it, im no idiot and hardly think my bro wud put me in danger, hes bin in his trade for over 6 years working with seat audi vw and many others.

Last edited:

dangriff

My drivers side spring sheared, it was snagged at the MOT so god knows how long it had been like that, changed the spring myself (£30 from europarts) but ended up changing the drop link and track rod end as they were seized in position. i recommend splitting the hub from the swinging arm etc to remove the shock.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
ty, unfortunatly i dont have time to do it myself and car is far away from me now while i work this week as usual. I dont get a great window of clear time to sort these things :( lol

Did the spring damage your shock at all. at the top? Shiny part :) Because i cant help but think it could be bending my shock a little or crunching against it as it has moved. Would that cause a problem? The plastic cover may be shagged and i felt some loose washers or some metal rattling from up on the top part of the broken bit. Think anything else is buggered?

Cheers :)
Stu!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that the safety issue comes from exactly how much of the spring has broken and at which end. These springs are tapered at both ends so when the spring breaks the top or bottom end can pass over the top bearing etc or over the lower cup on the stut. Now that creates a real safety issue! In my case, the spring broke at almost exactly half height and dropped the car down onto the bump stops - ie undriveable. There is lots of scope for real extra damage to occur if driven in this condition - and that comes from someone who has suffered a broken spring in a 9N Polo, ie same platform as this car, and not from a helpful friend. I just drove back into the garage as that car was going no where under its own power - well not in a safe manner!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hey, have been posting this weekend looking for tyre advice and also what could be wrong with my front suspension as the knocking and clucking was getting worse then got much worse!

New spring + shock ? Anything else needs sorted from the pic? Any ideas how much it will cost me?!

What a lovely start to next week! -Stu

I'd think that your top bearing will definately have wrecked itself as it has slipped down and there is nothing holding the top half to the bottom half so the balls spill out. One point, when you buy your new bits and attack this side, don't be surprised if the new top bearing looks differant to the old one - the remainder of the top half will still be stuck in the mount(?) and will need to be removed before re-assembly. I even saw a "small" garage guy scratching hs head when the spares guy passed out a new top bearing, I smirked ryely as I had had that same surprise a few weeks before!

I'd guess that the shocker will be as okay after this event as it was before this event.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
ty, unfortunatly i dont have time to do it myself and car is far away from me now while i work this week as usual. I dont get a great window of clear time to sort these things :( lol

Did the spring damage your shock at all. at the top? Shiny part :) Because i cant help but think it could be bending my shock a little or crunching against it as it has moved. Would that cause a problem? The plastic cover may be shagged and i felt some loose washers or some metal rattling from up on the top part of the broken bit. Think anything else is buggered?
Cheers :) Stu!

I thought that the bellows part would be buggared so bought new ones (did both sides as anyone with springs over a couple of years old should do) - but they could have been salvaged - the loose washers woukd be the bearing tracks after the balls had "left the scene"!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
ah so i should order in some other parts? I got a friend mechanic doing it for me and just got 2x springs thats all ??

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
ah so i should order in some other parts? I got a friend mechanic doing it for me and just got 2x springs thats all ??

No, get most of the parts of the other topic that way the job will get done quicker first time, look at the Skoda forum - Fabia section and I think that you will find a full list of suggested parts.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
think i have the same problem, gonna wait a few weeks and take it into my bros work and check it out, also service it and see if exhaust is blowing

If you have got a broken spring, you really need to get it fixed ASAP.
Springs sit fairly close to the tyre anyway, and if the broken bit decides to drop down & poke out it can rip your tyre off, I saw the aftermath last time I was at my local garage on another car...
Also, if there's a jagged end at the top, it'll gouge away nastily at your inner wing every time you steer.
Not good...

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004

20566_254916294235_501274235_3055898_367155_n.jpg

What a lovely start to next week!

-Stu

Looking into my cystal ball ........ thats a 1.9 TDI ibiza on a 02/52 plate?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.