Bulb fell into the headlamp... need some advice please...

Cupra_UK

Correction Cupra"R"
Dec 24, 2007
Near Gatwick
I was trying to change my regular sidelight bulbs to some Xenon LED ones I bought. If it wasn't bad enough that the LEDs dont fit, (head of the bulb is too big), when I was replacing the original bulb it came loose and fell into the headlamp. Just as I was pluging the bulb holder back in. [:@]

I doubt there will be many people this has happened to but some advice would be good. Would I have to remove the bumper to take of the headlamp? The bulb has gone righ to the front of the lamp... :cry:

Deleted member 16792

i had the exact same thing happen to me.

you have got to remove the whole headlamp to get it out.

Cupra_UK

Correction Cupra"R"
Dec 24, 2007
Near Gatwick
Did you have to remove the bumper to get the headlamp off bigger bish? Did yours disappear out of sight too (the bulb that is)?

I'm tempted to just leave it there but it's going to bug me - knowing it's there... but if getting the headlamp off means taking the bumper etc off then I will have no choice but to leave it...? :blink:

Last edited:

Deleted member 16792

i didnt have to remove it totaly, just undid some of it, so as to be able to remove the lamp. inside the wheel arch and in the centre of the bumper IIRC, was a while ago!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
this happened to my car when Pete owned it, and we tried changing the side light bulbs at a show.... the bulb dropped inside the headlight :confused:

luckily someone had some 3-core mains cable in their car (don't ask why!) so we used a piece of the solid earth core from the cable, with some sticky tape on the end, and managed to 'fish' it out that way, took about an hour in total to get it out!!! Easier than removing the whole bumper and headlamp !!!

Cupra_UK

Correction Cupra"R"
Dec 24, 2007
Near Gatwick
The added problem I have is that it's gone under the black plastic trim right at the front of the headlight. :doh:

I'm anal about these things. (must be some sort of disorder :shrug:). But this time I think I'm going to have to leave it and try to forget about it. May be one day it'll shake loose and I will try to get it then.

Imperial

Jan 10, 2006
Maybe a magnet would work? One of those on a stick for retrieveing bolts & stuff?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
other than reversing hard and braking id have gone with a magnet:(

i lost a pen in my engine bay. it reappeared a year later when i did my fmic:D

Cupra_UK

Correction Cupra"R"
Dec 24, 2007
Near Gatwick
Reversing wont help as it's as the front of the lamp. So normal driving would do it, if at all. Also tried parking the car on the ramp of a car park. :D

To be honest it can't be seen so probably best leaving it now.

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
Just doing a search for bulbs and found this thread, you can get very small attachments for hoovers, detailers use them and they will get out small items like this.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.