Buying a cupra

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Hi all im new to all this so thought i would sign up for some much needed info

I have been looking at a leon cupra today and really like it. Lovely to drive and in good condition.

It is up for £3695 and i managed to get it down to £3400 if i was to have it. What common problems should i be looking for.
Its done 54k miles on a 'Y' plate

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
what part of the country are you in, as that price sounds a little high? I got an 02 plate, with full black leather, full tax and MOT and service history, 68k miles for £3000. This was almost a year ago.

Last edited:

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Common problems are..

water pump failure, fixed by using new version with brass impellor
leaking, via pollen filter and ancillary panel seals in doors
rear wiper leaking/not working, this is either result of corroded feed pipe inside the motor mech itself, or 2 places where it joins, (pass side wheel arch + where the pipe joins the motor)

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Cheers for reply

Im in Chelmsford, Essex. Car is at a dealer with 3 months warranty i guess it puts the price up. But its good to hear. Is this overpriced then?

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
well essentially the car is 2 years older than the one I bought, as mine is a year newer and was bought a year sooner.. if you get what I mean (i.e, mine was 7 years old when I bought it, and yours will be 9 years old when you bought it)

Obviously prices vary in different regions, and also the used car market is always up and down, so it may be a perfectly acceptable price in say a 40 mile radius of yourself.. I did travel 80 miles to pick mine up, as they were more expensive in my area.

If you like the way it drives and all other examples in the area are similarly priced, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Don't think the warranty will be worth the paper it's written on tbh, take it without and get more off. That's just my opinion mate.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
I would skip the warranty too, waste of time and they will be charging you for it somewhere. You could save £200 if you don't take it.

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Might be an option then. I'll get a link if someone could have there say on it that would be really helpful

I cant post links but if someone wants to check it out its on Autotrader from Hadleigh Autos. Its up for £3295 i see the price has been reduced. Its dark blue. 54k miles. My postcode is cm3 1nu and its 21 miles from my address