Buying advice (184 fr tdi)

daytona246

May 28, 2012
Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've been on here when I had my MK4 Ibiza tdi until 2015.

I am looking at either a leon fr 184 tdi dsg or a Peugeot 308 gt bluehdi 180 eat6. 65 plate plus.

At the moment I have a 2011 Mégane dci 110 (remapped to around 130) which has been solid except clutch gives judder when pulling off in 1st until warm). I'm looking towards a leon due to the adblue/damper issues with the Peugeots.

Can anyone let me know what to look out for when looking at one? I researched and saw that they suffer rattles in the door cards but can't find much else...

How reliable is the dsg box in the 184? Would it cope okay with a stage 1 map providing the tuner is decent?

Reactions: Joshua Oakes

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've been on here when I had my MK4 Ibiza tdi until 2015.

I am looking at either a leon fr 184 tdi dsg or a Peugeot 308 gt bluehdi 180 eat6. 65 plate plus.

At the moment I have a 2011 Mégane dci 110 (remapped to around 130) which has been solid except clutch gives judder when pulling off in 1st until warm). I'm looking towards a leon due to the adblue/damper issues with the Peugeots.

Can anyone let me know what to look out for when looking at one? I researched and saw that they suffer rattles in the door cards but can't find much else...

How reliable is the dsg box in the 184? Would it cope okay with a stage 1 map providing the tuner is decent?

I’ve recently bought a 184 DSG, first auto I’ve had and I love it, no rattles for me except when playing certain songs loud, however this was just a plastic cover behind the door card that was loose, easily fixed.

I recently enquired about a stage 1 revo map at progressive parts Manchester, they said its a brilliant engine to tune and would handle the extra power no bother, said should see between 30 and 50 extra BHP.

I’m not sure what to look out for when buying the car, I went in pretty much blind but all is okay so far, touch wood! The car is awesome though!

Josh.

Black Leon FR 2.0TDI 184 DSG

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The 6 speed wet clutch DSG should be able to take the remap fine. Probably you get get around the 220+ bhp with a stage 1 remap. When you do that, would suggest you coincide that time to also get some good front tyres, of the Michelin PilotSport 4/4S or GoodYear Assy 5 kind, as the new torque would be 400+ Nm, else it would be wheelspin galore!

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I’ve got a remapped 184 TDI DSG on a 15 plate and love it. It’s running circa 230bhp and it makes a nice difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnworthyBean

Dec 6, 2019
Not sure if it was standard as I don't think I've seen one without but try and get one with the tech pack. It's just LED light but they make a massive difference imo.

Stage 1 in mine took it to 234bhp and 538nm. Well worth it and I've never heard any major stories of it killing clutches. Haven't had it long enough to notice anything going wrong but I don't drive like an idiot either.

The headunits seem to have a tendency to do what they want in cold weather until they've warmed up too, be aware of that.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
I’ve got a remapped 184 TDI DSG on a 15 plate and love it. It’s running circa 230bhp and it makes a nice difference.

Sorry to go off topic from OPs original question, but what did you find with the remap in regards to fuel consumption? Did it improve any?

Josh.

Black Leon FR 2.0TDI 184 DSG

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Tbh I’ve not noticed a difference in fuel. I tend to do more short trips and it’s ok on fuel. Certainly better than a petrol of the same power and decent on a run

daytona246

May 28, 2012
Thanks all,

If I'm going to get one sub 30-50000 miles does the dsg need to have its oil changed at 40000?

Struggling to find a decent dsg within 50 miles lol. Seem to be more manuals available though. How decent are these in terms of pulling away effortlessly at traffic lights? Does it pull with the clutch with minimal throttle?

In my Mégane I'm so used to the judder it's crap in stop start driving.

Quite impressed with the estimated figures tbh. Was expecting around 200 210max

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Yes the DSG box should be serviced at 40k and timing belt (and water pump) at 5 years or 100k

daytona246

May 28, 2012
Yes the DSG box should be serviced at 40k and timing belt (and water pump) at 5 years or 100k

Thanks completely forgot about the timing belt! No good spending £11000 I'd it needs expensive work doing

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
DSG service and Timing belt etc is gonna be circa £700 ish at least if not already done. If buying from a main dealer they should be doing this if it’s over due or nearly due

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Not sure if it was standard as I don't think I've seen one without but try and get one with the tech pack. It's just LED light but they make a massive difference imo.

Stage 1 in mine took it to 234bhp and 538nm. Well worth it and I've never heard any major stories of it killing clutches. Haven't had it long enough to notice anything going wrong but I don't drive like an idiot either.

The headunits seem to have a tendency to do what they want in cold weather until they've warmed up too, be aware of that.

Do you have DSG and if so, did you also remap the gearbox? Thanks

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi all,

I've got a 2014 184 manual ST (estate version).

The things that I'm either aware of or have had issues with - these may not relate to a newer car.

Blocked heater matrix due to silacant gel sachet in header tank splitting - known issue pre-facelift - no idea if it's fixed yet but I know some newer cars have an improved matrix in them. Rubbish heating but also used to cool the EGR after a DPF regen. Due to inneffective cooling, that cooks your coolant and you lose some via the escape port on your header tank. You'll know by looking that the header tank and see if it has `mit Silikat` stamped on it. I change dmy header tank and matrix for c.£120+3 hours of my time rather than the £800+ that SEAT wanted.

Electronic water pump. Again, not sure about newer models but mine had this variable shroud that alters coolant flow. These start to stick and your car either fails to get up to temp or overheats. Replacement parts no longer have the shroud on them and newer models may not have that issue. Mine went stupid at the same time as cam belt was due so done at same time. Had no issues since.

Thermostat - can also go a bit stupid. Not the easiest to get to and a lot of people recommend replacing the plastic housing as that is prone to splits/leaks. That is an arse to change as it is hidden under the charge cooler and pipework.

Rear shocks - on my ST (ex-company car) they went after 95,000 miles. Replaced with OEM and been fine since.

Head unit can go a bit weird in cold weather. Known issue but SEAT won't do anything.

It's not really a long list but some of them are big ticket fixes but they may not be relevant tp your car.

I have the Tech pack and this is usally standard but you deffo want it. Also have the convenience pack so lights on when unlocking, auto dim mirror and not sure what else it does. Not got the winter pack although there are times when I'd like heated seats.

Engine is good and seems happy to be tweaked. Mine is chipped and runs about 220. Don't drive it hard but at 3000rpm and above it's very willing if you ask it. As for MPG, I drove 550 miles last week to Wales and back and got 65mpg each way. That was 70-75 all the way and no heavy right foot. On local roads that I drive a lot, I get 5-8mpg improvement driving `normally`. If you drive the car harder, you get nearer 40mpg but rarely any less. It seems to like Shell V-Power although I do buy normal fuel and put in what is meant to be a very similar fuel additive.

I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles as the car appreciates it. This whole long-life 20,000 service doesn't get my vote. I get a DPF regen every 180-200 miles (higher figure on motorways), so the oil does get worked quite hard.

Tyre choice is a personal thing but from my experience it can have a massive impact on handling and road noise. I can't really afford posh tyres, so I run Rainsports (just had a new set of 5's fitted to replace my 3's after 21,000 miles on the front). They grip well in dry and wet, handle well and I'm quite happy with them. My rears are Dunlop Blue Repsonse - they were orignally on the front but were very sketchy so moved to the rear. They've been fine but when due for change will get Rainsports put on (also makes in easier for me to rotate tyres).

I love mine - you can just trundle around and get sensible MPG or when the urge takes you, it can go a lot quicker. I drive a lot of country lanes and only really use the extra power for safer overtaking and joining slips roads etc on the bigger roads. It's nice to have that extra torque when you want it. The extra power is really noticeable compared to stock.

Mine is now on 101,000 miles and running great.

daytona246

May 28, 2012
Thanks for this! Had a look at my local garage this afternoon in Coventry and couldn't find one. Autotrader and cargurus don't seem to have many especially in DSG. At least the local visit gave me an idea of the overall ft trim which looks nice. I will keep looking and am in no rush but I'm guessing it could be down to post lockdown..

They hold their value very well

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks for this! Had a look at my local garage this afternoon in Coventry and couldn't find one. Autotrader and cargurus don't seem to have many especially in DSG. At least the local visit gave me an idea of the overall ft trim which looks nice. I will keep looking and am in no rush but I'm guessing it could be down to post lockdown..

They hold their value very well

I took nearly 4 months to find my 184 so keep at it.

I have a friend who works for SEAT in Leicester if you want them to see what's in their network? Had I not bought my 184 when I did, they had my 2nd choice. I was a little surprised as it is a main dealer but the price was good and the sodding thing had the winter pack as well. It was grey though and I had to have a red one!

Good luck with the search.

daytona246

May 28, 2012
I took nearly 4 months to find my 184 so keep at it.

I have a friend who works for SEAT in Leicester if you want them to see what's in their network? Had I not bought my 184 when I did, they had my 2nd choice. I was a little surprised as it is a main dealer but the price was good and the sodding thing had the winter pack as well. It was grey though and I had to have a red one!

Good luck with the search.
Sorry I've been away in Yorkshire this week for a short break. Any help is greatly appreciated! I had a look the other day and didn't even have a diesel available but I'm guessing this changes regularly....

Steve J

May 26, 2019
I have a 184 DSG 18 plate with tech pack and a few more goodies but part ex price is a joke so hanging on to it for a few more years. I looked on auto trader and a few were around of these though?

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I have found one which looks good.

They apparently can move from Hull to Birmingham which is only 20 mins from me.

https://www.motordepot.co.uk/used/cars/seat-leon-20-tdi-184-fr-technology-dsg-km18hlf

As it's an 18 plate it should still have a year or so warranty left. Would be nice to have a test drive.

I have made the enquiry to arrange for it to be moved. From the milage just the dsg oil change is due..

Looks decent, maybe worth asking if they’ll do the DSG service as part of the prep for you? Nice colour as well

daytona246

May 28, 2012
Just an update!

Reserved a 67 (18) plate FR 184 dsg in grey. Has 30,000 miles. I can't post any pics as the as is taken down.

I would like to thank you all for your advice and will post pics up as the advert is now gone. Here is a Google image:

https://f7432d8eadcf865aa9d9-9c672a...f3.rackcdn.com/C143/U25232/IMG_11952-mini.jpg

PS the Motordepot was a complete waste of time. Couldn't answer the dsg oil question and if it had full SEAT service history. That sold soon after so I hope the buyer knew it needed doing! I would not recommend them IMHO.

Reactions: Hag and BillyCool
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise