Calibrate SAS with VCDS

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Ever since I removed my subframe to replace the downpipe, my ESP light has been on and I have a permanent fault code for the Steering Angle Sensor (ignore the other fault codes in the image)...I can see it working on live data, but I replaced the SAS/clock spring any way, just in case, and that didn't fix anything. So I figured It just needed to be re-calibrated. I managed to get temporary access to VCDS, but I can't figure out how to do it? On VCDS I go to Control Module, Chassis, and I've clicked everything to do with the steering but all I get is "no response from controller". So what am I doing wrong here? My car is a MK1 Cupra R, and all the videos on YouTube are for different VAG cars or older/different versions of VCDS.

Attachments

• 20220217_174029.jpg
    20220217_174029.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220408_185019.jpg
    20220408_185019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220409_093249.jpg
    20220409_093249.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Ever since I removed my subframe to replace the downpipe, my ESP light has been on and I have a permanent fault code for the Steering Angle Sensor (ignore the other fault codes in the image)...I can see it working on live data, but I replaced the SAS/clock spring any way, just in case, and that didn't fix anything. So I figured It just needed to be re-calibrated. I managed to get temporary access to VCDS, but I can't figure out how to do it? On VCDS I go to Control Module, Chassis, and I've clicked everything to do with the steering but all I get is "no response from controller". So what am I doing wrong here? My car is a MK1 Cupra R, and all the videos on YouTube are for different VAG cars or older/different versions of VCDS.
I don't have the SAS on my car, but was always under the impression that it was part of the ABS module and callibrated from there.

Last edited:

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
I don't have the SAS on my car, but was always under the impression that it was part of the ABS module
I've seen and read all different methods...Some say to use the Steering Assist module, and some say to use the ABS Brakes module. But I can't access either of them on VCDS 🙄 I noticed I had the old version though, so I've just updated to the newest one and I'm gonna try again tomorrow. But if that doesn't work then I'm all out of idea's 🤷‍♂️ My ABS and everything else seems to be working fine. No other codes or lights on the dash. Just the ESP and a code for the Steering Angle Sensor. Was all fine before removing the subframe.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Why did you move the subframe?
I changed to a custom 3 inch down pipe and sports cat :) From what I read beforehand, the only way to get enough room was to drop the subframe...So I went straight for that method. I didn't remove it completely. I just lowered it down until I had enough room. Also had to unbolt the steering rack from the subframe and from inside the car.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I've seen and read all different methods...Some say to use the Steering Assist module, and some say to use the ABS Brakes module. But I can't access either of them on VCDS 🙄 I noticed I had the old version though, so I've just updated to the newest one and I'm gonna try again tomorrow. But if that doesn't work then I'm all out of idea's 🤷‍♂️ My ABS and everything else seems to be working fine. No other codes or lights on the dash. Just the ESP and a code for the Steering Angle Sensor. Was all fine before removing the subframe.

Can you connect to any module, engine etc?
Have you tested the interface and then saved the test in the options menu when logging in to vcds?

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Can you connect to any module, engine etc?
Have you tested the interface and then saved the test in the options menu when logging in to vcds?
Yeah, I've tested and saved before every attempt...So far the engine module is the only one I can get in to, so I know it's connecting to the car. Just can't access the ABS or Steering Assist modules, which is what I need to calibrate the SAS.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Have you done the Ross Tech method?

The whole rotate wheel one way then other way then drive straight then go into brake setting and adjust?

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Have you done the Ross Tech method?

The whole rotate wheel one way then other way then drive straight then go into brake setting and adjust?
Is this what you're on about (in the image)? This is the first thing I tried...The problem is, I can't even do the very first step on VCDS, which is to access 03-Brake Electronics. Every time I click it, that's when I get the "no response from controller" message 🙄 I can access 01-Engine so I know it's connecting to my vehicle, but that's the only module which seems to work. I have also tried calibrating it manually (without VCDS) by following the steps on Ross Tech, and a few others that I found, but nothing is working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-081715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-081715_Chrome.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 76

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Is this what you're on about (in the image)? This is the first thing I tried...The problem is, I can't even do the very first step on VCDS, which is to access 03-Brake Electronics. Every time I click it, that's when I get the "no response from controller" message 🙄 I can access 01-Engine so I know it's connecting to my vehicle, but that's the only module which seems to work. I have also tried calibrating it manually (without VCDS) by following the steps on Ross Tech, and a few others that I found, but nothing is working.
Sounds like the problem lies with your software or cable rather than the car. Are you using a genuine VCDS cable?

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Sounds like the problem lies with your software or cable rather than the car. Are you using a genuine VCDS cable?
I honestly couldn't tell you...It says "Ross Tech VCDS" on the OBD part. A garage where my friend works have recently bought it, so I'm borrowing the cable from them. But they're new to it as well, so can't really offer any assistance. I did notice that the VCDS software that I had downloaded was an old version (20.4), so I went to the Ross Tech website and downloaded the newest one (22.3 or something like that). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try it this afternoon.

I'll also disconnect the battery if nothing else works, and see if resetting the ECU does anything.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I honestly couldn't tell you...It says "Ross Tech VCDS" on the OBD part. A garage where my friend works have recently bought it, so I'm borrowing the cable from them. But they're new to it as well, so can't really offer any assistance. I did notice that the VCDS software that I had downloaded was an old version (20.4), so I went to the Ross Tech website and downloaded the newest one (22.3 or something like that). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try it this afternoon.
Ah right, if it's a garage then it's almost certainly a genuine cable.

The car uses the same network to communicate with all the modules, so the fact you can get comms with the engine module is a good sign as that means the network is healthy. The ECU and ABS must also be talking to each other or you'd have the ABS and TCS lights on, so that's what makes me think it's definitely VCDS related. Version 20.4 is really old now, so if it's a newer cable then maybe it didn't have the right drivers installed for that cable. Fingers crossed that 22.3 will sort it for you. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Ca11um43

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Ah right, if it's a garage then it's almost certainly a genuine cable.

The car uses the same network to communicate with all the modules, so the fact you can get comms with the engine module is a good sign as that means the network is healthy. The ECU and ABS must also be talking to each other or you'd have the ABS and TCS lights on, so that's what makes me think it's definitely VCDS related. Version 20.4 is really old now, so if it's a newer cable then maybe it didn't have the right drivers installed for that cable. Fingers crossed that 22.3 will sort it for you. Let us know how you get on.
That could be the case...It's a Hex-V2 cable, and when I found the recommended version of VCDS for that specific cable, it came up with 22.3 which is what I've now downloaded from the official Ross Tech website :) So fingers crossed I can at least access all the modules now, but there's still no guarantee that calibrating it will sort the problem. I'll post an update later on though, once I've tried it again.

Reactions: mty12345

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Honestly...I have no idea how, but the light is finally off 😂 My autel scanner can do it on almost every car apart from SEAT (typical), and I couldn't get VCDS to work properly even with the newest version. Some guy on the facebook pages said that he calibrated his with a SnapOn scanner, but the only one I've got is a really old SnapOn Solus with the individual keys. Thought I would try it any way, not expecting it to work, but somehow it did 🤷‍♂️ Not how I thought it would though.

The only proper guide I had was the Ross Tech one for VCDS, so I was trying to follow that but make it work with the SnapOn scanner as a few of the steps are slightly different. Although when I was doing the coding and the basic setting part, I kept getting errors. I made a few attempts, then the scanner randomly switched off (it's old so the battery isn't great) and the ESP light switched off with it. It's a miracle lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-081715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-081715_Chrome.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 88
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.