Can anyone shed some light on my problem. Lighting up the boot (bad pun intended)

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Hi there, after countless times of rooting around my boot at night and never been able to see in there, Is there a way of say like hooking a light up to the interior lights. I would love to get a red LED in there without looking too maxpowah!

Thanks
Will

Last edited:

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
You could try a scrap yard for the boot light, switch and wiring, and then hook that up with a red neon or something.

A much easier thing to do is get a battery operated light and mount that in the boot. Then you can just switch it on and off when you need it.

Aimez

Yeh that's what I have done two LED push button ones stuck on my sub, keep forgetting to turn them off though so one has gone flat! Looked into wiring it up but sounded like a right hassle for a crappy little yellow standard boot light IMO.

Poverty

L.E.D strips. wire some up to a permanent supply, and others to the amp so that they only light up when the bass kicks!

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Hang on, do the mk4's not have a boot light? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only got a mk3 :D

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Okay, well if you don't mind a little bit of drilling, find a perma-live, wire it into a push-to-break switch then run it.... anywhere in the boot. LEDs, normal 12v lamp, your choice. then put the PTB switch at the bottom of the boot seal... bit deep, but it'd look professional. :)

Aimez

Some do some don't as the same with engine covers and battery covers. My 1.2 fiesta had a boot light I miss it, I hooked up a blue neon under my plastic false floor miss it so! I can't see a bloody thing when I get the shopping out as I live on a farm no street lights always think something has been left in their.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
So, is it trim specific? or, as the stealers keep on telling me, chassis code dependant? or did they just not bother with some?

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Right o, guessing it's a random selection with boot lights :D
About the perma-live, are there any at the boot (not the most technical person on here)
Loving the idea of hooking them up to the amps, (maybe red L.E.D strip behind the box) How would I go about hooking them up to the amp then?

SMILEY CULTURE

BEER MONKEY
Aug 15, 2005
BOURNEMOUTH
I split off the 12v supply from my amp using a distribution block and then sent the supply to a mercury switch which I fitted in between the skins in the boot lid. Then sent the output to a neon which of course is earthed. When the boot lid goes up the mercury sensor sends 12v to the neons and hey presto, light with no switches, drilling etc. Mercury sensors are cheap too. Hope that helps

WildChild88

Aug 30, 2008
Doncaster
I split off the 12v supply from my amp using a distribution block and then sent the supply to a mercury switch which I fitted in between the skins in the boot lid. Then sent the output to a neon which of course is earthed. When the boot lid goes up the mercury sensor sends 12v to the neons and hey presto, light with no switches, drilling etc. Mercury sensors are cheap too. Hope that helps

Thats pretty clever mate, I like it! :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.