Can I take it back?

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Ive had my 09 K1 now for about 7 weeks and ive had enough!!!

After 3 weeks the MFD went. Blank, nothing. Apparently Seat arent making leons right now so until they do I cant get mine repaired!?!?!? Doesnt make sense to me

Today I got in the car and the speakers were buzzing really loud even with the key out!!!

The only speakers that now work are the front tweeters and they dont even sound right!!
So now I have no MFD, no stereo, no bluetooth etc

1 of the back speakers is also blown and its not cos I play it too loud. Anywhere over half volume the whole system sounds shite so I never have it above half.

2 days ago I also had the car being REALLY juddery at low revs in 2nd and 3rd so there is a problem there too!

Is it right that I payed 21k for a car and 7 weeks later nothing works?

I really want to back it to the dealer and buy something else. Anyone know what the score is? Surely its not fit for purpose?
Any advice would be great, thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you can't take it back for a refund without giving opportunity to repair.

however, there are spares available even if they're not making Leon's right now - so the stealer can work on it!

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
you can't take it back for a refund without giving opportunity to repair.

however, there are spares available even if they're not making Leon's right now - so the stealer can work on it!

Well they reckon they have tried everything and cant get me a replacement MFD. What if they stopped making leons? Are we all then fooked for spares? Seems crazy to me :headhurt:

bobmcgod

Jan 22, 2007
I'm sure there are companies out there making spare parts for rovers... so get it in to the garage and tell them to get it fixed. And get on to SEAT themselves about it.

Breezapom

mk4 ibiza fr 20vt
Jan 12, 2006
Hampshire
id phone up seat uk not the dealers and tell them what the score is and tell them what your dealer said i would of thought they wouldnt be to happy about it

if you got a problem dont mess about with the peons(Stealers) go straight to the top it gets resolved alot quicker imo

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Something is certainly amiss if the stealer is telling you they can't get parts...

they can. end of story!

You might have a wait, in which case they should give you another car for the meantime

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations Act which incorporates an EU Directive which give the 'supplier' reasonable opportunity to rectify defects before the car can be rejected. According to case law it is supposed to be up to three attempts.

However you could argue the car was supplied in an unreasonable condition for sale and that the problems at such an early stage warrant rejection. But I would speak to a solicitor to confirm the law as non of us can give you proper legal guidance.

Log the mileage and the dates and time of the problems, limit your mileage if you can, if you go down the rejection route be prepared to stop using the car as it can be argued your continued use is proof the vehicle is in fact fit for purpose.

Draft up and serve a letter (a solicitor's letter maybe more effective) to the Dealer Principal/Managing Director of the dealership, giving them a reasonable amount of time to fix the problems to your satisfaction and that you will reject the car if it is not rectified to your satisfaction. Worth noting extra costs you incur such as travelling, loss of holidays or pay etc.

Speak to SEAT UK direct, 0500 22 22 22 explain your grievance and that you are considering the rejection route and the unreasonable excuses that parts are not available to fix your car. Explain that you have served notice to the dealership in question and that SEAT's assistance would be appreciated in a favourable outcome for all concerned.

Remember your contract of sale is with the dealership, SEAT can hopefully assist to rectify the problem but the ultimate rejection claim is with the dealer. It's upto the dealer to argue the toss with SEAT over who's liable.

See how you get on.

Last edited:

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
surely the thing about not being able to work on certain parts at present because seat might have temporarily stopped production is complete cack, no? i wouldn't be buying that one ... if you pardon the pun!

some links re: rejecting new cars, not saying these are gospel but might give you an indication:

http://www.whatcar.com/advice-special-report.aspx?NA=217156&EL=3141780
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/x-ray/x_guides/cars/car1-1.shtml
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

hope these help

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations Act which incorporates an EU Directive which give the 'supplier' reasonable opportunity to rectify defects before the car can be rejected. According to case law it is supposed to be up to three attempts.

However you could argue the car was supplied in an unreasonable condition for sale and that the problems at such an early stage warrant rejection. But I would speak to a solicitor to confirm the law as non of us can give you proper legal guidance.

Log the mileage and the dates and time of the problems, limit your mileage if you can, if you go down the rejection route be prepared to stop using the car as it can be argued your continued use is proof the vehicle is in fact fit for purpose.

Draft up and serve a letter (a solicitor's letter maybe more effective) to the Dealer Principal/Managing Director of the dealership, giving them a reasonable amount of time to fix the problems to your satisfaction and that you will reject the car if it is not rectified to your satisfaction. Worth noting extra costs you incur such as travelling, loss of holidays or pay etc.

Speak to SEAT UK direct, 0500 22 22 22 explain your grievance and that you are considering the rejection route and the unreasonable excuses that parts are not available to fix your car. Explain that you have served notice to the dealership in question and that SEAT's assistance would be appreciated in a favourable outcome for all concerned.

Remember your contract of sale is with the dealership, SEAT can hopefully assist to rectify the problem but the ultimate rejection claim is with the dealer. It's upto the dealer to argue the toss with SEAT over who's liable.

See how you get on.

Z's words are what should happen but from going through this process with SEAT dont hold your breath , you have to make the decsion what you want ? a replacement ? a refund? or them to fix the car?
first thing they will say is they want to be given a chance to rectify the faults depending on what you want will decide what action is taken.
my car took 10 months to get sorted and that was 1 fault , SEAT customer care are rubbish and very uncaring , you have to tell them what you ant and be firm with them , i wish you all the luck.

Poverty

parts are available, regardless of whether they have stopped making the pre facelift leons or not. They are taking the piss.

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
parts are available, regardless of whether they have stopped making the pre facelift leons or not. They are taking the piss.

Thats what I think but I cant for the life of me think why!

They know they have to fix it at some point so why dont they just get the part and sort it?

freenfast

Thats what I think but I cant for the life of me think why!

They know they have to fix it at some point so why dont they just get the part and sort it?

Surely this is warranty work so you can go to any stealer?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
the company i work for supplies nissan with bits.

we still have to provide parts for this bad boy.

sgx.jpg

(not very often i agree!)

there will be parts out there. make sure you stamp your feet and get them before the factory closes for summer (yes thats for summer, not in summer. pedro likes his hols!)

chrislee12345

May 8, 2008
West Yorks
The stealer may be telling the truth.

I work for a company which provides plastic interior trim components to the likes of Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

Since Honda have not been making cars for the last 4 months, we have not supplied them with and mouldings. They don't really carry any stock of our components - we supply them as they need them on a daily basis.

I hope you get the car sorted to your satisfaction - it certainly doesn't sound right for brand new £20k+ car to have the problems you're experiencing.

Regards Chris

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.