Can I use a N/A 20v block for BT conversion?

fat_tony11

Hey, as the title says. It would be easier to keep my car on the road while I built an engine in my garage, I was wondering if the N/A blocks were the same if I were to fit;

* A new 2.0 FSi crank
* 83mm forged pistons after a re bore
* New rods

Then when i swap the engine, take all the ancillaries from the original and fit to the new block?

I only ask as a N/A block is so much cheaper and I will be changing all these bits anyway, failing that, is there any difference between engines that were turbo'd from my '01 AMK engine to older ones?

One more question, are the heads the same on the N/A engines?

Many thanks, James

fat_tony11

check out this link, more so, check out the price! I know there is postage and import duty etc but we would normally pay that for just rods and pistons. The kit comes with rings too!

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
I have a bare block from a 1.8t a3 quattro (not s3) - suspected oil-pump failure if your interested? - Perfect if your going for a overbore etc.

Drop me a pm if your interested and make me an offer as i have no idea what its worth and its just taking up room at the moment as i have gone off the idea of a bt build.

Rick

fat_tony11

Hey, thanks for the offer but I dont think I will be starting to buy parts until after christmas now, i'll give you a shout then though just incase! cheers

Fenn

i'm using a late 8v block for my 2008cc 20vt

Last edited by a moderator:

fat_tony11

wow, 8v block? what year car is it from? will the 2.0fsi crank fit and are there any dangers or weaknesses if I run 400bhp through it providing I have 2.0 fsi crank, forged pistons and rods and new bearings etc?

Also, can it safely be bored to 83mm? thanks

fat_tony11

what is the capacity of an 83mm bore on standard stroke? is that what yours is hooch? Its just the extra off boost torque, faster spool on a gt3071r and more torque output per lb of boost :)

Pros and cons list anyone?

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
cons

not much life left in block/weaker

small port cant even flow enough air to support a 81mm block which makes 83mm pointless

pros.........makes it a 1.9 lol

and yea i am on small port and 83mm but i learnt the hard way :D:D

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
does the new FSI crank fit the 1.8T?

Yep it does.

I have built a engine for a friend that has Bills old golf, with Tfsi crank, standard length rods 144mm and special pistons.

It is on a running in map on wastegate pressure of 0.8 BAR making 336 BHP and 340 ish IB/FT of torque.

When hitting 1.8 BAR i would imagine some nice figures.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members