Can someone give me the run down on a Ibiza TDI Cupra please

apple_man77

Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle :headhurt:

At the moment I'm driving a 2004 Fiat Punto hgt, nice little car with only 15k miles on the clock but a little gutless.

I have been saving up to buy a mk5 VW R32 Golf. Having weighed everything up i.e the £1200 a year insurance £400 a year tax, 20mpg and £20 cost of buying the vehicle I've decided to look at a few other things.

Never looked at Seats before but last night I saw an Ibiza FR TDI. I come home and had a quick look and quite like the sound of the Ibiza TDI Cupra mk4 2007/08

My few questions are....Are they reliable? Do they sound like a transit van? What tuning options are available after a re-map miltek exhaust??

If I do get one I'd possibly like to fit some 18" Leon Cupra K1 alloys in black, would these fit ok?
I'd also like to fit one of the RNS 510 headunits from the VW/Audi range would this fit?

I think thats it for now sorry for so many questions but I've only just started looking and these are my first thoughts/concerns.

Thanks
Mark

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
there's no getting away from the fact that it sounds like a diesel, but you get used (or resigned?) to how it sounds. I'm kinda used to the sound now and don't notice it all that much until something fruity goes past...:cry:

if you want more than remap+exhaust you're really looking at changing the turbo, most probably either a hybrid GT17 or something like the more involved 22

pretty sure the K1 wheels wont be a straight swap as the PCD is different, but that can be sorted with adapters

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
The Cupra TDI with a remap will be faster than a R32 :)

I think they map to about 200bhp and 315lb/ft...

Thats slightly optimistic, but it will be quicker real world than an R32.

For more power, you want a hybrid, intercooler piping, filter and exhaust.

At this point you're around 240bhp 380 - 450 lb/ft depending on the map, 6 secs to 60, 13.5 - 14 1/4 mile

Really want to be budgetting on a clutch as well though.

K1 wheels could be made to fit but no guarantees they'll fit over the brakes.

Stereo will fit no problem

apple_man77

Thanks for the quick replies. Still looking now and on the alloy front will probably leave the standard ones on and have them coated gloss black (I fancy a red/black scheme!!)

what do you mean a hybrid, I know what one is but in what respect to the ibiza?

I don't really want to compare the R32 to the Ibiza the R32 is the next step up in my opinion but then as I've already stated you pay the premium for it and yes the ibiza petrol and diesel have more tuning potential than the r32 with pretty much stock components.

I'm glad the head unit fits will have a look at getting one. I think the dash looks a little bland and a nice touch screen sat nav should break it up slightly :)

Thanks again for all the replies.
Mark :)

_williams_

Aug 7, 2009
if i were you mate i'd go for a petrol cupra, remap it to 210 bhp and although it's not in the same class as the R32 it will definatly give it a run for its money! running costs are far better too but it's still plenty of fun!

apple_man77

Hmmmm I'm also considering the petrol found a nice 08 plate cupra in red again 4000 miles on the clock for under £10k but for some reason I just fancy the torquey diesel!!

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I can't see how with all that low down torque the power can be put down until you are rolling. My 20VT with ~200bhp will spin in 3rd gear unless it's a baking hot day. (i've even had the traction control light on in 4th on a wet road going from ~40mph to 60).

apple_man77

To be honest I don't want to be racing from traffic lights etc as I'm a police officer but having that pull from say 30 through to 70 etc is what I'm after and I'll be using it quite a bit on the motorway.

My punto is returning 29.9mpg and sits at 4000rpm at 70mph.

I'm guessing the ibiza diesel would do around 55mpg and sit around the 2000rpm mark.

ritdaw

I owned a Punto HGT and in between that and my Cupra TDi I had a Mazda3 MPS.

The Punto always seemed very sluggish for some reason, its power delivery was rather odd. Comparing the Punto to the Cupra TDI you will definitely feel a huge performance difference and coming from a non turbo'd car too. Personally I'm not sure about getting a remap for my Cupra as I'm not convinced I want 200BHP in an Ibiza.... Heck my Mazda3 MPS had 256BHP, weighed a lot more and just about felt safe (sometimes) :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ritdaw

Here is mine to tempt:

1352480-1.jpg

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
The 20VT Cupra is a great car and when its stage 2 mapped are quicker than a R32.

I'm pushing out 237bhp and 267lb/ft in my cupra :D

4287794845_2841a2d7c1_b.jpg

Loads of info on tuning and handling in my thread (link in sig below).

apple_man77

ok thanks for the info will scrap that idea and stick with the stock unit for now.

just undecided now between petrol and diesel....

deep down I'd prefer the petrol I think but the diesel will be more economical. The thing thats bugging me is the mint 08 plate 1.8 20v turbo I've found for sale. :help:

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
You could fit a nice Double Din 7" DVD/Sat Nav stereo unit in it if you wanted. Pioneer unit or something alike with bluetooth handsfree.

But Ibiza Cupra is far better value than a R32.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I can't see how with all that low down torque the power can be put down until you are rolling. My 20VT with ~200bhp will spin in 3rd gear unless it's a baking hot day. (i've even had the traction control light on in 4th on a wet road going from ~40mph to 60).

You must have rubbish tyres or be driving on a dirt track. I can't get my mapped cupra tdi to spin in 2nd unless it's on broken/bumpy tarmac or it's wet

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
ok thanks for the info will scrap that idea and stick with the stock unit for now.

just undecided now between petrol and diesel....

deep down I'd prefer the petrol I think but the diesel will be more economical. The thing thats bugging me is the mint 08 plate 1.8 20v turbo I've found for sale. :help:

Drive both, see which you prefer. I did.

apple_man77

I was hoping for the RNS 510 but if not I'll stick with the original one for now don't really want to do a lot to the interior.

I think the R32's have a niche market and owners hold on to them for dear life until people pay what they want for them hence holding the high value still. It seems to be changing slightly with the current climate as well as the increasing fuel and tax costs.

If I can sort something out with the 1.8t I've seen then I'll be happy. Not really sure what there fetching but having done only 4k miles I'm expecting to pay a bit of premium for it.

Think I'll be happy with around 250bhp if I get the petrol version. Hopefully at that level I won't have to worry about changing the internals etc.

I'm guessing the brakes are fairly good being 4 pot AP's??
I'll possibly add a front strut brace and a rear ARB.

From having a quick look engine wise I'll go for a miltek exhaust from the turbo back with a sports cat, some sort of air filter/induction kit a re-map which should see me with 220bhp and 225ft lb torque. Should set me back around £1200 for that lot.

I also quite fancy some sort of blow off valve but something thats pretty discreet and not a boy racer one????

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
The turbo on the petrol cupra will max out at circa 240bhp mate.

Tha AP Racing brakes are awsome and a rear ARB makes a good difference :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.