Can't access Measuring Blocks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
As you can see from the image below, the option (08) for measuring blocks is unavailable

2w23l8h.jpg

I need / want to access the measuring block locations as shown here

Are there any ideas? First time I've seen this.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yup - they work

I just was trying to work out what the locations were compared to the 'old' type

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
This was from your 2010 Ibiza right? In this engine controller, VW uses a new nomenclature known as UDS and no longer supports the old style measuring values. For this reason, [Measuring Blocks - 08] is not active for this module. It not VCDS thing - thank VW for it!

Frankly, the Adv Measuring values seem to me to be far more user friendly. But ..... that's me.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Know that many modules starting in 2008 use this new nomenclature. We've seen it mostly in the engine controllers and the instrument clusters. If Adv Measuring values is the only button highlighted, then the controller uses the new UDS/ODX protocols and does not have the old style Measuring Value Blocks. I guess this is progress.

The whole reason we built the Adv Measuring values function was to address this new protocol. If you have looked through it, you will see there are many more values there. In the old system, there was a limit of 255 groups of values. The new system is unlimited in the number of values available to the design engineers.

Remember, VCDS only reports that which the engineers design into the modules. We can only display the values they put there.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Is UDS used on non VAG cars too, if yes does this mean that VCDA may work on non VAG cars?

An organization called ASAM was founded to create standardized automation and measurement systems for German car manufacturers.

On their standards page, you can find some of the publications ASAM puts out to define ODX.

But all this does not answer your question - can your interface from Ross-Tech now talk to other cars. The answer is we're not sure as yet where things are going and whether implementations by others match the implementation by VAG. So, not sure.

You can always plug into a CAN based car and see what you can learn. Certainly the OBD functions in VCDS should work on all 2008 and newer platforms. Whether or not you can access the OE specific stuff is pretty doubtful based on the few tests we have done here.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.