Car gone lower pls help

Tomekk

I have a 2004 ibiza 1.9tdi, and I noticed that the car is somehow "gone lower" at the front end... It seems that the engine is very close to the ground, I don*t know...

SO, can someone do me a favor and measure the distance between the lowest point under the engine (there is some plastic protector) to the ground, please???
I repeat, the engine in the car must be 1.9tdi 100hp!

Thanks people!

Tomekk

When you stand in front of the car and look under, it seems to me that the car is way too low... In the winter, when there was some snow on the parking, I was hearing the noise of that plastic protector sliding on that snow.

andycupra

status subject to change
ok so the car is lower, its probably easier to assess how low by describing how much gap there is between the top of the tyre and wheel arch.

Can you let us know if your suspension is standard or if you are running coilovers etc?

The car is basically held up by springs which sit on the shocks at the front, so either the springs are failing (not uncommon) or the seat which they sit on has failed. (less likely)
If you open the bonnet and look at the top of each suspension turret, does the suspension look ok or is it protruding from the turret more than usual?

Tomekk

I am running on standard suspension, and the gap between the ground and the plastic protector (directly under the engine, between the front wheels) is about 10cm. And when I measure gap between top of the tyre and the wheel arch is about 4cm. I think something has gone bad...
I will take a photo later and post it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you are really concerned about your car having become lower, then I'd suggest that you check both front road springs as one of them might have broken - my wife's Polo 9N dropped down very low both sides when a spring broke.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Not sure if the FR is the same as the 130TDi sport in ride height but the book says the fron t ride hight is 354mm from the wheel axle centre to the wheel arch on a 130TDi sport

Tomekk

@rum4mo
Can I check this on my own or do I have to visit a mechanic?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
OK, here are the images... tell me what do you think!

They look like 16" sport wheels with 205/45R16 tyres.

The diameter of that tyre is 591mm

Half of that diameter is 295.5 plus the two fingers (appx 40mm) is 335.5 mm

Book figure for 130TDi sport is 354mm so the car is about 18mm lower than a standard sport.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@rum4mo
Can I check this on my own or do I have to visit a mechanic?

If you can jack the car up and take the front wheels off one at a time, then you can look at the springs on each side - just to see that they are both the same as I'd expect only one will have broken.