Car has trouble starting Hot!!

dazza2123

Car does not like starting whilst the car engine is still warm. Starts fine when cold.
Car will turn over when i turn the key but when it goes to kick in it just judders as if there is no fuel but the car smells of an unburned / sulpur smell.

My carbon cannister had a pip missing which i repaired myself using a small piece of hose. Could air getting in affect this.

Also may be related my car seems to delay a few seconds when i put my foot down then the power of the engine kicks in.

Any help would be appreciated!!

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
I would first check the basics;

1. Air filter, is it clean ie not oiled etc, also air intake pipe for cracks.
2. Spark Plugs, are they clean/intact, do they show signs of overfuelling? ie carbonned up
3. All key electrics, HT leads, good idea to check engine in dark ticking over, look for arcs.
4. Battery connections.
5. Throttle Body, never had a direct issue but its worthwhile cleaning with throttle body cleaner, and apparently if dirty can cause bad starting.
6. Check all vacuum pipes for cracks, especially at connections, and all warm air hoses.

Once all those things are checked its easier to narrow it down, two main culprits on here seem to be the temperature sensor for the ecu, about £15 and also the G28 Crank Speed Sensor which tends to lose efficiency when the engine is hot as it is a magnet.

The above two may usually show up on as a fault code. But id do the basics first.

SNOWZ

Mar 9, 2008
Hereford born and bred
I would first check the basics;

1. Air filter, is it clean ie not oiled etc, also air intake pipe for cracks.
2. Spark Plugs, are they clean/intact, do they show signs of overfuelling? ie carbonned up
3. All key electrics, HT leads, good idea to check engine in dark ticking over, look for arcs.
4. Battery connections.
5. Throttle Body, never had a direct issue but its worthwhile cleaning with throttle body cleaner, and apparently if dirty can cause bad starting.
6. Check all vacuum pipes for cracks, especially at connections, and all warm air hoses.

Once all those things are checked its easier to narrow it down, two main culprits on here seem to be the temperature sensor for the ecu, about £15 and also the G28 Crank Speed Sensor which tends to lose efficiency when the engine is hot as it is a magnet.

The above two may usually show up on as a fault code. But id do the basics first.

i second the above.

just had similar problems with mine and followed his suggestions and found out it was my speed sensor.

Not saying that the case for yours but its a good check list.

Hope it helps

dazza2123

I have had fault codes but cant remember what they were. These did relate to a speed sensor fault.
Where abouts is the speed sensor located on the 1.4.

Thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise