Car Polishers

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Is a machine polisher worth it !? - that depends on what you are looking to achieve and how often you are going to use it.

For me the £150 or so for a Megs G220 DA machine was worth it because i wanted a swirl free finish on my paint work and i knew that i would use it twice a year on my own car but then also on other peoples (friends and family).

The cost of DA machines has come down with the release of the Kestrel and Buff Daddy machines and you can also get rotary polishers for a lot less but a rotaty needs practice and care as they generate a lot more heat on the panel than a DA does.

If i had to recommend one then i would say the G220 as that is what i use. In honesty though the Kestral and Buff Daddy DA machines can be had for around £100 and that will include some pads to get you going and possible some polish compounds.

The machine you linked would more than likely work but it doesnt look as though you have the option of using different pad grades on it so your correction work would be limited to the density of the pad on that machine.

HTH, Nige

McCann87

Mar 5, 2009
Middlesbrough
Cheers

After taking a look at the Meguiars & kestral models, i'll be going with one of them, i'll probably use it 2-3 times a year on my car aswell as maybe my sisters as her paint is shocking, not suprising when she doesnt wash the damn thing.

That would of been my next question...

Meguiars Dual Action or the Kestrel model?

If they are both pretty much the same then i guess i will see which comes best as a package deal

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
As above really. I wouldnt mind the Buff Daddy myself as i've got alot of swirls that need removing.

I wouldnt waste my money on the one in the link tbh.

McCann87

Mar 5, 2009
Middlesbrough
I wasnt aware when i posted that link about the Kestral & Meguair ones, only just heard about the buff daddy one off you two now!

Think it will be between Kestral & Meguiar, with the deciding factor being what comes with them, pads etc.

jason2800

I was reading that the Meguiars and Kestral are essentially the same polisher - just branded Meguiars? Anyone want to challenge that? Not sure if it's worth paying an extra £40-50 for a brand name in this case?

it's the kestral and buff daddy that are essentialy the same fella

CupraTurbo81

A machine polisher is a machine polisher, they all do the same job. I'm a mobile valeter and I have used the same cheap one for the past 5 years and its fine. Its all about technique when it comes to a quality machine polishing.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
A machine polisher is a machine polisher, they all do the same job. I'm a mobile valeter and I have used the same cheap one for the past 5 years and its fine. Its all about technique when it comes to a quality machine polishing.
And a car is a car. They all do the same job, but some just do it better. My useless polisher gives you VWF if used for any length of time, and to be fair I've not used a Megs or Kestrel but my 9" angle grinder is easier on the fingers than my cheap polisher. ;)

Last edited:

retrogrrl

Jun 17, 2009
Damn not having enough posts to use links lol. I'd recommend this: DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit from 'clean yourcar.co.uk' £134.95 or if you can stretch to it, this: DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit, from the same place, £159.95, it has an 850w motor as opposed to the 500w of the first one. Keep an eye out for offers, I got mine before Christmas for under £100 ;)

McCann87

Mar 5, 2009
Middlesbrough
Cheers will keep an eye out on that site then.

Will the Pro version be more likely to cause damage to my paint though or will it still be safe due to being Dual Action

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
it shouldnt but essentially the larger capacity motor will give it higher RPM's... to be honest, if its a DA and your are not going to be using it as a pro i.e. every day of the week potentially then the standard model will be more than enough... My Megs G220 has 6 speeds, i have never needed to use more than speed 5 on it so its never ran at full chat, ever !

the only thing i dont like about the G220 is that the dial to adjust the speed in on the back of the machine by the mains cable and when in use it takes a bit of practice to be able to speed it up or down on the go.

I think the Megs, Kestrel and DoDo Juice Buff Daddy are all basically the same machine, the Kestrel and Buff Daddy look identical though.

Last edited:

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Damn not having enough posts to use links lol. I'd recommend this: DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit from 'clean yourcar.co.uk' £134.95 or if you can stretch to it, this: DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Kit, from the same place, £159.95, it has an 850w motor as opposed to the 500w of the first one. Keep an eye out for offers, I got mine before Christmas for under £100 ;)

I was gonna say something alone the same lines

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cat_68.html

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Whats with the masking tape on her car in the pic on that link?

bascially you mask up the rubbers around the windows and the edges of the lights so that polish doesnt get on them when you are working around the car... a lot of people also mask up the shut lines but this isnt always required as you can rinse away the polish dust anyway. you can also use the tape to mask off a section of a large panel but i never do that...

McCann87

Mar 5, 2009
Middlesbrough
Think i've been lucky then as its never happened to me!

May start masking up then, next wax & polish im getting is dodo juice lime prime lite & purple haze wax

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.