Car shudders for a second after changing gears

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
This doesnt happen all the time, but every few gear changes (mainly coming into 2nd, 3rd and 4th) the car does a short shudder (almost like 2 small jumps forward).

It lasts maybe a second then goes away.

I took out the spark plugs and cleaned them the other night, could there now be an issue with them, a misfire or something like that?

I have no loss of power as such, the car is running perfectly otherwise. Never seen anything like this happening with my car.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
it's a common fault with the EGR Valve...according to Seat UK. If your car is still under warranty it can be replaced, all you have to do is replicate the fault with a SEAT mechanic

if you look closer it should be happening in most gears when giving little throttle between 1800-2200 revs

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
ye...the fault applies to all mk4's and unfortunately it appears later on some...mine appeared after only 1 year from new, but haven't replaced it yet as I was seeing if it would eventually go away

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
I have a good mechanic contact who could help me, but not for another 2 weeks as he is away

Do you reckon it will be ok left until then?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
ye, it doesn't cause any damage to the car...you just feel it shudder now and again

give it a little more gas around this mark and it won't happen as often

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members