Car won't start - HELP!

quattrodave

Hey guys

Righty, I've got a 2001 Seat Leon Cupra 1.8t AUQ engine code. Bought it about two weeks ago and all fine.

Yesterday we took it for a relatively easy 40 mile drive with no issues, parked it up outside the house around 4pm and at 7am this morning the car will NOT start.

Its cranking fine, good strong starter motor sound'n'all that but will not fire up. After about 10 seconds of cranking the oil warning light (little oil can on a red light) starts flashing with three incredibly annoying beeps.

So I've trawled through the similar problems in this forum and I've checked all fluids which are all where they should be.

I've read that it might be that the oil sump/pump might be blocked or knackered, but without being able to jack up the car I can't readily check these, besides the consensus seems to be that a blocked pump/sump wouldn't stop the car from starting.

I'd appreciate any direction on this matter, to make things worse we've only owned the car for two weeks and I know NOTHING of the history of the car (reflected in the price).

Just can't see what would have changed so dramatically from yesterday afternoon = all working fine to this morning = refusing to work :S

quattrodave

Thanks Mat, 100% is certainly up there on the confidence level. I've seen they're £40 on GSF so may get one as it's not mega bucks. I've seen a guide which seems to suggest it's not overly difficult to fit?!

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
Thanks Mat, 100% is certainly up there on the confidence level. I've seen they're £40 on GSF so may get one as it's not mega bucks. I've seen a guide which seems to suggest it's not overly difficult to fit?!

Yeah there very common to pack up and will not start if it wont give a reading!
Some people have took them out and cleaned them up as they get bits of very tiny metal stick to it being a magnet, but best just to replace it!

No not hard just a little tricky to unscrew the bolts, best way jack the front end up and go from underneath with a torch, i remember mine was well stuck in and got a pair of molegrips an kept working it and pulling until it comes out. :)

quattrodave

Well, the plot thickens.

After making my wife late for work this morning and having to use the quattro to ferry around (no bad thing ;) ) my wife decided to check the car one last time before I placed and order for the sensor. Lo and behold it fired up almost instantly and the oil light and beeps were apparently nowhere to be seen.

Definitely need to get my obd connector (cheapo ebay one) sorted to check out what fault codes are being kicked out before committing spend!

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
Mine was the same would only happen every couple of days / weeks at some points so wasn’t an issue at first, once it decides not to start your pretty much stranded if you leave it an hour it will start up fine! Just used to always happen at the most inconvenient times!

Reactions: Andrewwright

quattrodave

Ahh, little buggers! Would I be right in assuming that there will be fault codes showing intermittent sensor failure.

Having now done some reading it appears the VAG 1.8t engines are prone to regularly failing sensors.

Muzza1742

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Stoke
another quick suggestion for you, mine did the same sort of thing and it was my fuel pump. can you here it priming when you open the drivers side door? 84k on my AUQ cupra when it failed.
it died one at 5am and then it was fine for a month before it gave up the ghost properly. brought one from a bora V5 second hand for £25

+1 for getting a vag-com lead. its helped me out no end

Last edited:

quattrodave

Righty, finally got my vagcom cable working (turns out it doesn't like windows 7 home premium 64bit!).

Cleared the fault codes and re ran both when the car does and doesn't start. The code that comes up when running is:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ASR.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 D
Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0022017
Shop #: WSC 00001
VCID: 2B2984AFCA0B
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
004 - No Signal/Communication

When it's not running it's the same fault but the commentary is just "no signal".

My optimistic half (ok quarter) is going to check the connections to the ECU are a-ok to see if the free fix works! Now, if someone could confirm where the ecu lives.....

I read somewhere that it's under the front wipers plastic tray?

Thanks

Dave

Reactions: DR-Smith

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Yes, the ECU is under the scuttle panel at the rear edge of the bonnet.

The plastic panel can go brittle with age. If you crack it, seal with duct tape or the like or water will find its way to your ECU.

You'll need to get the wipers off their tapered shafts - a puller is often helpful.

Last edited:

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
Hi guys got a similar problem same engine etc etc...

Car had been parked up for a bit and I was moving it..started and ran fine for abit..then had some black spots which cleared and then finally it died on way home...and wouldn't start. I towed it back and drained tank and put on new fuel filter....fresh fuel and a bottle of wynns for good measure. All fitted and now it's doing everything except turning over...I'm assuming fuel issue but not sure where to start...something that was meant to be a a 5 minute job replacing fuel filter has now become over a month...gutted.

Also as a side note...when examining the engine area I noticed my top engine breather had split/perished at the V split...I feel like this isn't the issue?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If it's turning over on the starter ok but won't fire, then i'd guess at fuel pump or fuel pump relay mate. A lot of these cars are still on the original of both. Can you hear the pump prime when you open the drivers door or cycle the ignition on?

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
If it's turning over on the starter ok but won't fire, then i'd guess at fuel pump or fuel pump relay mate. A lot of these cars are still on the original of both. Can you hear the pump prime when you open the drivers door or cycle the ignition on?
Going to check for sound of fuel pump today. .couldntvthe other day as I was partially deaf due to ear issues lol. So by checking the pump working or not..does this check the relay too...ir does the relay require another check of some sort...I will try and use my multimeter as well to check the volts are there too.

Pickled Peachez

Sep 19, 2019
Going to check for sound of fuel pump today. .couldntvthe other day as I was partially deaf due to ear issues lol. So by checking the pump working or not..does this check the relay too...ir does the relay require another check of some sort...I will try and use my multimeter as well to check the volts are there too.
Ok so update this morning...the fuel pump works....it turns on when opening door and ignition check...i also checked by seeing if fuel came out at engine end..and it is peeing out...also sprayed petrol into air filter and car turned over...so could it be injector related or regulator?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members