CarPlay Google maps/Waze screen goes blurry

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I have an April 2022 1.5tsi Arona FR Sport that a few weeks ago developed an issue while using Google Maps that makes the screen go blurr, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes. When it happens the screen is very unresponsive and takes a good 10-15 seconds to respond. If I come out of the CarPlay menu and back into Google Maps the screen is fine for a few minutes again. It’s the same if using Waze but doesn’t do it while using Spotify. Has anyone else had this problem and if so had it fixed?

Attachments

• 5D031D59-B405-46FE-8826-C189F7A3FD88.jpeg
    5D031D59-B405-46FE-8826-C189F7A3FD88.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 195

Tell

Staff member
I've read posts on other threads across the Forum. This where I say the program is crashing out of memory to give that effect. Recall some resolution was made to the issue as to what it was and how it occurred. Apple only issue from memory.

Ok I found the slightly heated thread. It's an iOS issue that goes after an upgrade and comes with an upgrade 😂. It's said Mib3 only projects what its told from your iPhone. Have a read.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I've read posts on other threads across the Forum. This where I say the program is crashing out of memory to give that effect. Recall some resolution was made to the issue as to what it was and how it occurred. Apple only issue from
Ok I found the slightly heated thread. It's an iOS issue that goes after an upgrade and comes with an upgrade 😂. It's said Mib3 only projects what its told from your iPhone. Have a read.

Thanks Tell, an interesting read. My only issue with it is that I also have a Cupra Formentor running software version 1898 and CarPlay works perfectly with it. So I get the random blurry screen driving my Arona sometimes after 30 sec and sometimes after 30 minutes (it seems to depend on speed/distance travelled so if I’m driving at motorway speeds it happens more than if I’m in stop start traffic jams which would suggest it is a memory issue) and can then change to my Formentor and it works fine. In my mind that rules out it being a phone software/memory issue especially as when you change to another screen that isn’t a CarPlay screen when it happens and straight back everything is fine for a while. As an example when the screen go blurry I just press the mode button next to the gear shifter once and it clears the screen when it returns back to CarPlay.
I haven’t booked the car into the garage yet as I know they will say it’s a CarPlay/Waze issue and nothing to do with the MIB3 unit/software. Interestingly my stepdaughter that also got the same model Arona on the same day is also getting the blurry screen issue so I wonder how common it is. I don’t know if it’s related but when I first got the car in April there was an issue that the car didn’t know where it was or which way it was traveling when you used the car’s satellite navigation or CarPlay/Waze so the OCU module was replaced fixing the problem. I have noticed that sometimes the navigation seems a bit laggy, not by much but by about a couple hundred feet when driving and catches up when you stop which I guess would again point to a memory issue or possibly the OCU again?

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell, an interesting read. My only issue with it is that I also have a Cupra Formentor running software version 1898 and CarPlay works perfectly with it. So I get the random blurry screen driving my Arona sometimes after 30 sec and sometimes after 30 minutes (it seems to depend on speed/distance travelled so if I’m driving at motorway speeds it happens more than if I’m in stop start traffic jams which would suggest it is a memory issue) and can then change to my Formentor and it works fine. In my mind that rules out it being a phone software/memory issue especially as when you change to another screen that isn’t a CarPlay screen when it happens and straight back everything is fine for a while. As an example when the screen go blurry I just press the mode button next to the gear shifter once and it clears the screen when it returns back to CarPlay.
I haven’t booked the car into the garage yet as I know they will say it’s a CarPlay/Waze issue and nothing to do with the MIB3 unit/software. Interestingly my stepdaughter that also got the same model Arona on the same day is also getting the blurry screen issue so I wonder how common it is. I don’t know if it’s related but when I first got the car in April there was an issue that the car didn’t know where it was or which way it was traveling when you used the car’s satellite navigation or CarPlay/Waze so the OCU module was replaced fixing the problem. I have noticed that sometimes the navigation seems a bit laggy, not by much but by about a couple hundred feet when driving and catches up when you stop which I guess would again point to a memory issue or possibly the OCU again?
Undoubtedly programming issues. We could ask @East Yorkshire Retrofits whether your car has the latest firmware on it. They have access to the VAG database via their tools.

You get the feeling that VAG ran a bit too quickly when they got into connected cars. Some software folk have said on here that's the way software is written these days with fast turnaround which is probably fine if it gets fixed but with a fleet of cars that need fixing could amount to a lot of work by not getting QA correct the first time round. Seat early days with mib2 high apps following along the lines of VW was pretty desperate that the Android apps didn't work. It was going to be interesting with connected cars.

Oldboy Racer sent me a link to an interview with the new VW Chief Exec which makes an interesting read and confirms what we knew but was never said.

Reactions: IanH72
I have an April 2022 1.5tsi Arona FR Sport that a few weeks ago developed an issue while using Google Maps that makes the screen go blurr, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes. When it happens the screen is very unresponsive and takes a good 10-15 seconds to respond. If I come out of the CarPlay menu and back into Google Maps the screen is fine for a few minutes again. It’s the same if using Waze but doesn’t do it while using Spotify. Has anyone else had this problem and if so had it fixed?
This has been fixed with 0836. Your car is likely on 0809. I haven't yet seen 0836 do this however anything is possible.

Go to settings, system information & take a picture

Last edited:

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
This has been fixed with 0836. Your car is likely on 0809. I haven't yet seen 0836 do this however anything is possible.

Go to settings, system information & take a picture
I checked the software version and it is still on 0809. Do you think the latest software version will fix the blurry screen issue and if so will I need to take the car to a dealership to do the update or can it be done over the air?

Attachments

• 56C7F13A-DF43-4A39-A7B4-B7726E823686.jpeg
    56C7F13A-DF43-4A39-A7B4-B7726E823686.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 168
I checked the software version and it is still on 0809. Do you think the latest software version will fix the blurry screen issue and if so will I need to take the car to a dealership to do the update or can it be done over the air?
Yes, it will fix your issue

If it hasn't already happened OTA then it probably isn't going to

You need to make sure the car has online services (all UK do), ensure you have a primary user setup & signed in. If it hasn't updated then take it to your local dealer and complain about the issue and they can update manually

Alternatively it's possible to DIY (especially useful for cars out of warranty who would get charged a small fortune or those that live a good distance from the dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and IanH72

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
0836 fixes this, however 0837 came out a couple of weeks ago
Am I better requesting 0837 when my car goes in on Thursday then? The other issue my car has is the lack of volume from the Beats sound system as even on full volume you can talk to your passenger without raising your voice.

Am I better requesting 0837 when my car goes in on Thursday then? The other issue my car has is the lack of volume from the Beats sound system as even on full volume you can talk to your passenger without raising your voice.
0837 should have replaced 0836 completely but it depends on the dealer/tech

There's special mention of cars with Beats in the update TPI. Haven't read that part yet though - will check when I get a second

Reactions: IanH72 and Tell
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.