Centre Console Gauges

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Anyone using the lower gauge pod (mines a lhd one)

just wondering what gauges you are using as the ones i have just been given the surround is too big and the trim won't fit over em :(:(

probably just as well as they are a bit kevish :headhurt:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
11082008170.jpg

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ye thats the bugger

got a couple of dummy (1974) alfa romeo ones in mine so a mate gave me some brand new (ct racing -ye ok i know) that fit fine but stand too proud to get the trim panel over

mind you it was only £6 or so i might just shape em out to suit instead as the gauges were free anyway

btw crezz - if you haven't planned it already get a mk3 cupra stg wheel on ya list - best mod yet on mine i swear - lusssssshhhh!!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Oil pressure and volts gauge (when I finially wire them in) got a volt gauge to keep an eye on my racing battery :)

ibizacupra88

cupra dean
Apr 8, 2007
weymouth
is the lhd gauge holder hard to fit nicely?
where can you get them from?
is it easy to connet them to the cars engine/electrics?

cheers

i also want a mk3 steering wheel

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
it fits but to be honest it's a little low on the LH side and angles awkward so some clever suppourt under it (nut and bolt) is adviseable

ordered all my pieces from the dealer for about £30 odd iirc if not less than that i'm sure

wiring gauges is easy as for any gauge depends on what ya got but steer clear of any with a fat lipped surround as they wont go under the front fascia

as for steering wheel you get a similar effect if you remove the upper weight out the std wheel as the mk3 is lighter but it has a wider F-R girth and only 3 spokes and a huge centre all in one horn that once on you will never go back - gotta be the best mod i have done

ill try an post a pic up

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
nothing is available from dealers anymore except the oil pressure sender/switch you need to run standard dials.. that was £5=vat iirc............look on ebay.de...dont ask what to type in.. i searched all parts that included 'ibiza' in every day for going on 7 months.. easier to make your own fascia to fit the rhd bowl and use your own dials from demon tweaks ect

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
wiring gauges is easy as for any gauge depends on what ya got but steer clear of any with a fat lipped surround as they wont go under the front fascia

Would you say that for wiring up a rev counter gauge?? Because I have one that I am thinking of fitting as my 1.4 doesnt have one,it has a clock instead. And I quite fancy a stand-alone one.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
All you're likely to need to drive a standalone tachometer is a +ve power feed, an earth and a signal. Where you get the power and earth from will largely depend on where you fit said gauge, and you should be able to source the signal from the low voltage side of the coil.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
All you're likely to need to drive a standalone tachometer is a +ve power feed, an earth and a signal. Where you get the power and earth from will largely depend on where you fit said gauge, and you should be able to source the signal from the low voltage side of the coil.

as G says probably the simplest gauge to wire up in all honesty
reminds me i was meant to check which coil wire you needed - ooops :redface: brb

*edit* Jeezus it's cold out there :p

Green/Red centre wire (coil connector)

mine's rigged up to that but check ya wiring block at the back of the speedo - might be prewired

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007

Its going to be fitted on the A-pillar in a pillar mount. So where should I take the power from and make the earth??

It will need wired up to the lights (I think) as its one of those gauges that is dark until it is powered up. I know theres a picture somewhere.

as G says probably the simplest gauge to wire up in all honesty
reminds me i was meant to check which coil wire you needed - ooops :redface: brb

*edit* Jeezus it's cold out there :p

Green/Red centre wire (coil connector)

mine's rigged up to that but check ya wiring block at the back of the speedo - might be prewired

I was thinking that it may be pre-wired as the when you switch gauges for one with a tacho they work straight away. Will the wire still be green/red behind the speedo??

So its the centre wire on the coil connector, Im guessing its both green and red.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Take your power feed from anything convenient around there that has a power feed switched by ignition, should be fine and dandy. You probably don't want it wired down to a permanent feed as it'll be a constant drain on the battery (albeit a small one). Just occurred to me that you may also want to run a switched lighting feed up there if it's an old skool type gauge and you want to be able to see it when it's dark.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Take your power feed from anything convenient around there that has a power feed switched by ignition, should be fine and dandy. You probably don't want it wired down to a permanent feed as it'll be a constant drain on the battery (albeit a small one). Just occurred to me that you may also want to run a switched lighting feed up there if it's an old skool type gauge and you want to be able to see it when it's dark.

I was going to wire it up to the headlight switch so that it comes on when the side lights or headlights are on. I will have to find out where I can take a power feed from.

There will be plenty of earths around there. The tacho gauge I have has 6 wires coming from it, 3 thick ones and 3 thinner ones.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
for illumination there's a light switch underneath and for the rest the fusebox is right under that :p

wouldn't surprise me at all to see it prewired behind the dash and yes it should be green/red stripe all the way

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
for illumination there's a light switch underneath and for the rest the fusebox is right under that :p

wouldn't surprise me at all to see it prewired behind the dash and yes it should be green/red stripe all the way

Its the same type of gauge that Surcalation has in his mk2. The ones that you are only able to see the numbers etc when the ignition is on.

So Im guessing a one of the thick red wires will be the main power, i.e from the fues box and the black will be the main earth. and the thinner red will be to the ignition and the other black will be for another earth. That means I'm left with a green and orange wire, one will be for the signal from the coil and the other for illumination. How should I wire it for illumination, to sidelights or headlights or both??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members