Changed Head Gasket and car wont start

joshpmc

Cupra R Power
Jul 29, 2008
Manchester
As the title really i have a mk3 ibiza tdi 110 asv engine and i have put a new head gasket and cylinder head on it. I locked the timing off and also marked it all up before starting the job and now everything is back together and nothing seems to have moved with regards to the timing but the car just wont start!! I really need to get it started as soon as possible. I have taken the top pipe of one of the injectors and when i try and crank the car over there is no fuel coming through!!!!
Please help.
Cheers Josh

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Did you also lock the diesel pump when you started? Have you checked the pump timing with VCDS since you put it all back together. The injection timing needs setting up on your engine after the belt job is done.

joshpmc

Cupra R Power
Jul 29, 2008
Manchester
I locked the diesel pump that is in front of the cylinder head (fuel comes from the fuel filter to the pump and then to the injectors) is this the pump you are talking about because i have also been told there is another pump in the tank, is this correct? and how do i check the timing on the pump??
Cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Yep, the pump you locked is the injection pump, don't worry about the in tank pump as your car most likely doesn't have one. The PD engines usually do have it though.

To check the injection timing you need a full registered copy of VCDS (formerly Vag Com). A VCDS scan would also possibly give you information as to why you're not getting any start.

Did you disconnect any diesel pipes when you removed the head? Possibility is that gravity has dragged the diesel back down to the tank and it needs repriming.

joshpmc

Cupra R Power
Jul 29, 2008
Manchester
I havent removed any of the diesel pipes at all just the ones that go to the top of the injectors. I have got vag com but its not the full version and it is very tempremental. Is there anything i can do any check or anything to get it going again or eliminate other things that it could be. A few people have said that the diesel maybe frozen but im not convinced!!
Cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Very unlikely to be diesel frozen I would think. Easiest way to check that is to squeeze a fuel line near where it goes to the fuel filter and see if you can hear/feel ice crunching. Most likely not I would suspect as it tends to wax a little but not freeze.

How long has it been standing with the head off?

joshpmc

Cupra R Power
Jul 29, 2008
Manchester
its been stood for 2 weeks but only 1 day without the head on. i dont think the diesel is frozen. i have been told the injection pump timing or the timing in general is out! do you know how to set the timing on it???

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.