Changing Rear Brake Pads

cuprachris81

Aug 20, 2009
north herts
I have about 3-4mm left on my brake pads but figured id change them anyway, taken the wheels off but can't see how to loosen the caliper in order to get the new brake pads in..

I'm sure i sound like noob :confused: but any help will be greatly appreciated

below is a picture of what it looks like, bit dirty as been through a fair bit of dirt recently.

i can't see a hole for an alan key or where my wind back tool might go..??

thanks in advance for curing my ignorance...

brakes1.jpg

brakes.jpg

Goose1

There are two 13mm (i think that's the size) bolts. Undo them but on the other side of them a small rubber gaiter will spin, next to that is a 16 or 17mm nut just put a spanner on that undo the 13mm bolt, top and bottom and lever the caliper back...........

Goose1

Oh and when the caliper is off then you'll see the piston to wind back with the tool...... and remember to loosen the brake reservoir cap under the bonnet to relieve any pressure

Goose1

Hopefully you'll see the 13mm head when you're looking at it if not then going from your 2nd picture. At the bottom you'll see the little rubber gaiter at the top of the caliper which will be where you have to loosen to remove it all

Goose1

Yeah sorry wrote above before seeing your last post, but yes that's it and the other is the same but about 3 inches below

cuprachris81

Aug 20, 2009
north herts
cheers guys, it got too dark so unfortunately i had to leave my car jacked up outside and i'll finish it tomorrow, had a bit of trouble as the wind back tool didnt seem to fit the holes of the piston properly so im not sure it will turn as it winds back...

also i know where the brake fluid is supposed to be but i can't find it for toffee on mine so have been unable to loosen it or make sure it doesnt overflow...

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
tbh mate, especially with brakes id be researching how to do these jobs before tackling it to stop the fcukup fairy visiting.

the reservoir has a yellow cap back of the engine drivers side

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Back brake pads were the first bit of car maintenance I did from reading on this site.

I believe the brake fluid reservoir is the yellow lid under the bonnet at back left had side.

As for unscrewing the bolts, some people take the bottom one out completely and just loosen the top and you can swing the caliper round, no need to worry about dropping it and breaking your line then.

Though I took mine off lol.

cuprachris81

Aug 20, 2009
north herts
thanks for all the helpful advice, people on this forum are a great help.

i did take mine off completely did the second one in about 40 minutes, first one took quite a bit longer.. i have noticed that the handbrake now comes a fair bit higher now i seem to remember mention of a handbrake cable needing tightening or something mentioned in my reading but can't remember where!...

can anyone help?

cheers

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
the handbrake auto adjusts on the piston, when you wind it back in mate. i have seen a pin of sorts to adjust the handbrake cable, but shouldnt need to on a pad change

cuprachris81

Aug 20, 2009
north herts
cheers Dyscontinued i'll remember that for next time! Viking that link was good, reckon next time i'll be able to do each in under half an hour!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise