Changing the gearbox oil on a 2014 6-speed manual 2.0 diesel FR

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
All I'm saying is that I've done a few thousand miles with the Sintofluid 75W and my gearbox hasn't exploded yet. Fuchs is one of the biggest car lubricant manufacturers in the world, if they say something is compatible with my car, I'm quite happy to take their word for it 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Not saying you shouldn't trust their recommendation - just that their recommendation is NOT the same as an actual approval.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes I totally agree, it is their recommendation. It seems to be the common thing now with many brands, not just Fuchs. I guess paying for VAG approvals on that scale would make the oil so expensive no one would buy it. I also wonder if it has something to do with VW TL 525 27 itself, as far as I can tell is a part number as well as a spec, add A2 onto the end of it and you get a sepcific size bottle of it. I think. So can an oil be officially approved for VW TL 525 27? To be honest, I do not know off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Guy
Yes, agree - could be down to either the cost of the approval/testing/licence agreement - or maybe VAG just don't want to licence any other trans oil than their own, but they don't even schedule a gearbox drain/refill period (filled for life - haha if life means 100k) on these so who knows.

I believe G 052 527 is the part number which includes a letter and number on the end to denote container volume, and the TL 525 27 is the VAG specification.

Reactions: oilman

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Replaced my gearbox oil at the weekend, car (2014 184TDI) has done just over 90k miles.
Really easy job, went for a drive before to get the oil warm.
Definite improvement in gear change quality/smoothness.

1616412044076.png

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My 184 2014 is on 107,000 miles. You really noticed a difference? I might have to consider doing it.
Hot knife through butter comes to mind!
Yes, definite improvement. I wouldn't call it 'bad' previously, but it would annoy me (maybe not my other half) I could tell it was more resistant to change especially when cold and in the lower gears. Changing gear is more of a pleasure now.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hot knife through butter comes to mind!
Yes, definite improvement. I wouldn't call it 'bad' previously, but it would annoy me (maybe not my other half) I could tell it was more resistant to change especially when cold and in the lower gears. Changing gear is more of a pleasure now.
Nice one.

Well based on that - I'd better sort it out! I'm doing an oil/filter change soon so can do it at the same time.

Can you just confirm which oil and how much to use. Thanks.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Nice one.

Well based on that - I'd better sort it out! I'm doing an oil/filter change soon so can do it at the same time.

Can you just confirm which oil and how much to use. Thanks.
You can see the oil I used in my photo: Castrol Syntrans V FE 75w80.
You can see in the the previous posts for the Fuchs oil alternative and Seat OE numbers.
2.3L required - so 3x 1L bottles.

I found I could just pour the oil in using the small tube with the bottle so didn't need any funnel or tubing.

Reactions: BillyCool

mjgreen81

Jul 3, 2022
Hi,

Thanks for writing up this guide. I have felt that changing gear in my 2016 1.4 FR has been a little stiff in the low gears this winter so I think I want to change the oil. It's on 80k now so feels like a good time.

Can you confirm if the procedure and oil spec is the same for the petrol?

Thank you

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for writing up this guide. I have felt that changing gear in my 2016 1.4 FR has been a little stiff in the low gears this winter so I think I want to change the oil. It's on 80k now so feels like a good time.

Can you confirm if the procedure and oil spec is the same for the petrol?

Thank you
Have a look in the workshop manuals:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise